PDA

View Full Version : How Is Lightwave On Doing This...

i2dontknow84
08-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I am having some Carrara Pro 6 issues and wanted to know how Lightwave 3D compares, on the functions I am working on. This is for anyone with both Lightwave and Carrara Pro experience.

I am wondering if Lightwave can model easier, better and faster than Carrara Pro 6 or not. I have been using Carrara Pro 6 on modeling a head that I created in the Poser 'Face Room'. Then I exported it as an '.obj file' and brought it into Carrara. My problem is this...

In Carrara when I select some polygons and then use the Move tool to try to pull them outward to enlarge (extract, move) them, the tool does nothing most of the time. It just refuses to move. Then if I really give it a tug, I pull the polygons out so far that it almost goes off the screen.

If I remember right, I also tried selecting polygons and then using the Scale tool instead, but no luck, same problem.

I did have some luck when I used the Universal Manipulator when trying to scale some teeth, but I don't know if this tool will do the trick every time when trying to scale or move selected polygons or not.

So my question is, does anyone know how Lightwave 3D compares to Carrara Pro 6 when it comes to modeling, specifically scaling and moving selected polygons?

Can Lightwave 3D model easier, better and faster than Carrara Pro 6, and if so, how much so?

Any input is much appreciated,

i2dontknow84

Andrew March
08-24-2008, 01:32 PM
In all fairness you're trying to compare apples with pears. Any tool is only as good as it's user. Lightwave has a fairly well established and robust set of modelling tools, although they could and will be improved in time.

Moving polys in Lightwave is a fairly simple operation with decent move tools and both poly, edge and point selection to allow greater flexibility, numerical panels also allow for precise movement in millimetres, metres or your chosen measurement value.

Scaling polys can be acheived in similar ways using Lightwaves built in tools and also with the addition of third party plug-ins which offer greater options other than simple smooth shift operations.

Obviously as a Lightwave user I'm going to be biased, so I would suggest you download the demo and have a play yourself.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lwtrial/

i2dontknow84
08-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your input. I will be downloading the trial version, after I watch some videos on Lightwave so I know what tools there are and what they do.

In the meanwhile, one more question for you or anyone who wants to replay. How is Lightwave 3D when it comes to fixing unsightly polygon disasters?

Attached is a really bad mouth with lips that would make anyone shreak like Hillary Clinton when she's mad. How is Lightwave for taking care of something like that?

Does Lightwave have tools and the ability to quickly and easily round those crooked edges and uneven lines and other such disasters? Or would it be just as hard in Lightwave as doing that in Carrara Pro?

Thanks again,

i2dontknow84

Digital Hermit
08-24-2008, 04:09 PM
What you are trying to do is much easier in LW.

I have used Cararra 6 Pro, it is really clunky, and kind of a poor app to use when the better modeling app, from DAZ, would be Hexagon 2. However, I do most of my modeling in Lightwave.

I have to add that I am growing fond of modeling in XSI and I am still trying to work with Z-brush.

Hope this helps.

borkus
08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
depending on how it was modeled, it COULD be possible to make quick work of that fix. using lightwave's layering system has saved me many times in a circumstance similar to this. but, sometimes it's quicker to just start over on the affected parts. having used carrara as well, i will say that lightwave is a daunting beast to tangle with. i've been using it for the better part of two years and am finally feeling comfortable with it. everyone is different in their ability to learn. but, i found that it took much more perseverance to learn it. but, there is a ton of free and not free training out there. i guess i'm rambling on saying that within 30 days, it's hard to get a good feel for what lightwave can do.

i2dontknow84
08-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi,

Thanks guys, your input and info is much appreciated.

Digital Hermit, thanks for the heads up about Hexagon 2. I bought that software awhile back but put off learning it after I discovered that you could not add bones. But now I am thinking to just export the model as a '.obj file' for use in other apps that can add bones.

But does Hexagon 2 allow you to make a movable jaw? I know that Lightwave 3D can, I have seen this being created in a video. But what about Hexagon 2, movable jaws?

i2dontknow84

Digital Hermit
08-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Simply put, you would do the modeling in Hexagon and then you would import that model into another app to do the animation.

Let me ask you this are you more interested in modeling or animation?

adamredwoods
08-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Carrara has a nice interface, but you will reach its limitations at some point. If you are having problems with basic modeling tools, you will need to consider using a tool that can work with your style of modeling.

I own Hexagon as well and I do think it's a good modeler, but too unstable for my use. Lightwave does everything Hexagon can do, but is more stable.

In Lightwave, I've learned to model using very few tools: move, extrude, scale, rotate, and tweak. You would benefit from a Lightwave training video, if you wanted to take Lightwave seriously.

As far as animation, Lightwave exceeds Carrara by leaps and bounds.
As far as rendering, Carrara is easier, but Lightwave will once again exceed where Carrara leaves off.

I like Carrara, but (in my opinion) Daz has not brought it up to the level that Eovia was working towards.

i2dontknow84
08-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks again. Info much appreciated. This forum is great, always get a reply, and faster than expected.

Digital Hermit, you asked if I'm more interested in modeling or animation. I am actually interested in everything 3D now, but there is only so much time in each day.

Modeling and animation are at the top of my list. It's hard to say which I am more interested in, probably animation with modeling a close second.

But who knows, that could change if I get modeling down to the point where I can do it quickly, easily and automatically.

Then there is texturing to get, realistic renders, the list goes on of things to work towards getting down.

Just gotta keep learning and using the software and then who knows...

By the way, that little kitten action is so funny. A hilarious little wild animal you got there.

Thanks again,

i2dontknow84