PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Referencing

ilollar
08-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Hello all,

I'm working on a project with another person, and we're trying to get referencing in Lightwave to work for us. I'm doing the animation for each shot, while he is modeling and lighting the set.

We know that LWS files reference LWOs into them, but since he's working with a whole set, he's been working in a LWS, setting up object placement, texturing and lighting. Meanwhile, I'm working on animation in a separate LWS file.

Is there any way to reference a LWS inside another LWS, so that we can work at the same time?

beverins
08-24-2008, 12:46 PM
only way I know of is "load from scene"

other than that, lw doesnt have "chunks" or "referencing", such as in premiere or final cut where you can have a timeline sequence referenced as a single asset in another timeline

silviotoledo
08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
1) animate your character when he finish the sets, textures, and so on...

2) open his sets scenes and use LOAD ITENS FROM SCENE to add your animation inside. Then save the scene with another name.

silviotoledo
08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Also I know there's a plugin to load several .MOT files at once, but I don't remember the name now. Check flay.com or www.lwplugindb.com

ilollar
08-24-2008, 01:23 PM
So there is no way to have it so that my partner is working on the set in a file that is referenced in my scene, and whatever changes he makes in his file gets changed in my scene as well?

toby
08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Correct, there is no 'reference scene' function in LW, some of us have asked for it.

But Jeremy Hardin has a plugin that could help,
http://lwidof.net/jeremy/lscript/reference_motion.zip
http://jeremy.lwidof.net/lscript/

add the master to objects in your partner's scene, publish .mot files, add the reference plugin to your objects and your scene will update from then on.

Not sure if that saves you anymore trouble than just importing his scene though - and it won't do things like add lights or get their color changes

ilollar
08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, okay. Thanks for the help.

So I suppose the best way to go about it is just to "Import From Scene"...and if he changes anything, just delete and "Import From Scene" again. I guess that's not too bad...just would be nice if it did it automatically.

There isn't any chance that using "Import From Scene" will replace the same named objects, lights, etc...instead of us having to manually delete and reload, is there?

toby
08-24-2008, 02:38 PM
nah, sometimes one needs to import a scene multiple times, so that wouldn't work. you'll have to delete it all. have your buddy parent everything in his scene to one 'universe' null to make it easier.

ilollar
08-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Ah, good idea.

Thanks for your help!

toby
08-24-2008, 03:00 PM
hey, Cageman just posted another solution. Apparently you can have animation in your buddy's scene that updates with your animation instantly
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41550