PDA

View Full Version : Node to attach fibers to a separate displaced obj?

JMCarrigan
08-24-2008, 11:28 AM
There is so much to Lightwave.... I haven't gotten into all the different ways nodes work. I know that when someone shows a certain way of doing something, it makes sense - but if I enter a node editor, I'm lost.

So! PoserFusion for Lightwave is out now and it uses a displacement plug. I can target the null that comes in with the Poser scene, move the target and track it. BUT! I can't attach anything directly to any of the figures and have it stay with it.

NODES came to mind. Is there a node I can use to attach a LW object or fibers to a displaced poser figure.

:help:

JMCarrigan
08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
I love that I can get a Poser Model into Lightwave animated and textured. I really really would like to put FFX hair on it.

JMCarrigan
08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
So dpont (Dennis), am I looking in the wrong place? No go? Or too obvious? Thanks ahead.

JMCarrigan
08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Here's a test that worked. Three layers. 1 layer has the displacement (twist), 2nd layer has the scalp, and the 3rd layer has the modeler ffx generated strands.

I don't know why the guides seem to show up. But they disrepear with volume only.

Now I'll try the same with an actual Poser displaced figure

JMCarrigan
08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
High 5 to self. Well since I'm talkin' to myself. The idea didn't transfer. I can't understand why I can grow hair using the image filter, but can't create strands on the displaced scalp that will render. More testing follows. Nice talking' to myself.

JMCarrigan
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Chuck. Would you delete this thread? It would be embarrassing if I was the embarrassed type. But I'm not.

Really.

dpont
08-26-2008, 12:19 PM
So dpont (Dennis), am I looking in the wrong place? No go? Or too obvious? Thanks ahead.

For parenting hair to a displaced figure?
I Could only advise something based on theory,
since I don't know how the Poser plugin work,
try to add the Item Motion node editor to the
hair/guide object, add a Point Info node
select the figure/character and
enter a point index from the character head
top, then output both a wPos and a wRot
from the Point Info node to the Position and Rotation,
but can't promise.

Denis.

JMCarrigan
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow. Thanks Denis, even if it doesn't work. I'll let you know.

JMCarrigan
08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm close, but I need for the instructions to be more specific. I have the Item Motion Node Editor - I'll post screen shots. I'm unsure of what I'm supposed to be doing exactly.

dpont
08-27-2008, 02:27 AM
I retrieved an old thread with a demo,
a few object parented to a displaced ball,
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=582268&postcount=8

You need to identify a point index on the top of the head in Modeler,
but as I said I could not test with this plugin.

Denis.

JMCarrigan
08-27-2008, 09:56 AM
I've selected a point at the top of the head - yet how do I identify it? Nothing in manual.
Sorry! And thanks.

dpont
08-27-2008, 10:14 AM
In Modeler, select "Point" selection mode,
selected your point, press "i" to get the Info panel,
you should see the index in your Modeler view too.

Denis.

JMCarrigan
08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Except for the identity of a point, it works in that this wacky test works. I finally figured out that I needed to open only one Node Item motion panel for the "prop" to placed THEN in the point info tell it what to stick to. Yes?!

Your message just appeared as I posted this. I shoulda refreshed to page. But I tried the info?

I'll post an anim in a moment.

dpont
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
...I finally figured out that I needed to open only one Node Item motion panel for the "prop" to placed THEN in the point info tell it what to stick to. Yes?!

Yes, hope that works for you.

Denis.

JMCarrigan
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
But didn't see that number. I was looking at the right columns.

It works! Here's a silly anim. Next I'll do it with the FFX down on the head. (Still can't figure how the gravity like dynamics are coming from. When my strands are made in modeler, the dynamic gravity is grayed out in layout.)

JMCarrigan
08-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Denis - you are the bomb! Wow.

JMCarrigan
08-27-2008, 12:27 PM
"Her" scalp looks a little loose. And I'm having a time getting the prop attached just right to the right point but...........

dpont
08-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes, there's a kind of inertia in the hair,
I think that I could not not fix it in the node
because it has not control of time in the mesh edit
function, also as I read somewhere the point normal
edition could fail.

Denis.

JMCarrigan
08-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes, there's a kind of inertia in the hair,
I think that I could not not fix it in the node