PDA

View Full Version : At my wits end.... Please save me before it's...

rakker16mm
08-24-2008, 12:08 AM
too late!

Well... this is a bit off topic for this forum since it doesn't directly involve LightWave but the way things are going it probably will. I need to either fix my main user account of create a new one and still have access to ALL my old files I've got a huge project on the hard drive that I don't want to jeopardize. Any help will be very much appreciated. :help::help::help:

Here's the back story:

So far as I know the problem all began with a program called "PanoramaMaker" which started crashing one day. I wasn't too concerned at first because I hardly use it. I went through the usual rituals deleting prefs and making blood sacrifices all to no avail. As a last resort I set up a clean user account and it ran just fine but then I couldn't get to my files very easily. What ever I thought... After all I hardly use that program any way.

I can't remember what program went South next but I've been busy with a project and I didn't really have time to deal with it any way. Well now I have to deal with it because I need to use Combustion and now it wont run....

Of course I went through the usual rituals deleting prefs and making blood sacrifices all to no avail. As a last resort I set up a clean user account and it ran just fine but now I can't get to my files very easily... which is completely unacceptable.

shrox
08-24-2008, 12:28 AM
too late!

Well... this is a bit off topic for this forum since it doesn't directly involve LightWave but the way things are going it probably will. I need to either fix my main user account of create a new one and still have access to ALL my old files I've got a huge project on the hard drive that I don't want to jeopardize. Any help will be very much appreciated. :help::help::help:

Here's the back story:

So far as I know the problem all began with a program called "PanoramaMaker" which started crashing one day. I wasn't too concerned at first because I hardly use it. I went through the usual rituals deleting prefs and making blood sacrifices all to no avail. As a last resort I set up a clean user account and it ran just fine but then I couldn't get to my files very easily. What ever I thought... After all I hardly use that program any way.

I can't remember what program went South next but I've been busy with a project and I didn't really have time to deal with it any way. Well now I have to deal with it because I need to use Combustion and now it wont run....

Of course I went through the usual rituals deleting prefs and making blood sacrifices all to no avail. As a last resort I set up a clean user account and it ran just fine but now I can't get to my files very easily... which is completely unacceptable.

Wait until the next solar eclipse and sacrifice a baby.

If that doesn't work, can you copy your files and reinstall the program?

rakker16mm
08-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Wait until the next solar eclipse and sacrifice a baby.

If that doesn't work, can you copy your files and reinstall the program?

I've already sacrificed the baby and some other small animals....

The install seems to be OK since all the programs that are having this problem are only having this problem under my main user account. They work fine under my clean account. So it seems likely that the main user account is corrupted and I am not sure what the best way to go about fixing it is besides doing a clean install. I'd do anything not to have go that route.... :bangwall: Wait I think I hear the neighbors dog.... Hmmmmm I never did like that dog any way.... :devil:

rakker16mm
08-24-2008, 03:24 AM
Well... I decided to spare the neighbor's dog. Who says only cats can have nine lives?

avkills
08-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I would back up all your user data that you need to keep and do a fresh install of everything.

-mark

rakker16mm
08-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I would back up all your user data that you need to keep and do a fresh install of everything.

-mark

Including the OS?

Hopper
08-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Including the OS?
Hey now .. let's not get crazy. It's not Windows....

rakker16mm
08-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Come to think of it, this problem persisted though a reinstall of PanoramaMaker. That is why I created a clean account which seems to work. Now the same thing is happening to Combustion. It has to be related to something in my Admin account. There must be a preference file in my Admin account that has become corrupted.

Sastira
08-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Try this:

1. Put in your install CD.
2. Restart the computer.
3. As soon as you hear the chord sound, press and hold the C key.
4. Once the installation disk has booted up, choose "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" menu.
5. Click the first aid tab.
6. Click on the hard disk containing the corrupted user account on the left side.
7. Run both "Repair Disk Permissions" and "Repair Disk".
8. Reboot.

If this doesn't fix the issue, try this:

1. Shut down your computer completely.
2. Press the power button to power on your system.
3. Immediately AFTER you hear the chord sound, press and hold shift.
4. Release shift when you see the apple logo and spinning gear thing.
5. After the system has booted*, reboot and start up normally.
*This boot is known as a "safe boot". It will take far longer than a normal boot.

I hope this helps!

rakker16mm
08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Problem solved. I called my friend at apple and he gave the sage advice to run my apps under a standard account. He also gave me some commands to type in Terminal to give full privileges to the documents I had previously created from the admin account. This saved me the trouble dumping everything into the shared folder.

In the instructions below replace the word admin with
the name of the admin account user.

In a terminal window type:
sudo -s admin
cd ~admin
chmod -R a+rwx *

It's secure because you have to give your password to proceed with the operation.

Also the reason deleting the prefs didn't work is something to do with the software needing to see a prefs file. So in this case deleting the prefs just caused another equally bad problem. Why it should be this way for this particular software I have no idea.

bassmanjam
08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Be careful with that sudo. It's strong medicine.

While as a rule, modifying your user account like this should be ok. It is your user folder. However I have run into a few pieces of software that install things into your user folder with other permissions and need to be kept that way.

I just finished an upgrade at our studio which was basically a clean install of everything, but I created a script to transfer over users' old preferences and projects as faithfully as possible. It worked better than I expected. A clean system sure is nice (for the few weeks it remains clean).

If you run into more issues, give me a holler. I'm just up the road from you.

rakker16mm
08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Be careful with that sudo. It's strong medicine.

While as a rule, modifying your user account like this should be ok. It is your user folder. However I have run into a few pieces of software that install things into your user folder with other permissions and need to be kept that way.

I just finished an upgrade at our studio which was basically a clean install of everything, but I created a script to transfer over users' old preferences and projects as faithfully as possible. It worked better than I expected. A clean system sure is nice (for the few weeks it remains clean).

If you run into more issues, give me a holler. I'm just up the road from you.

Thanks bassmanjam,

I definitely need to clean out the cobwebs in my system. My biggest problem at the moment is that my content directory for LW is spread out in a very inefficient way from having upgraded several times. I want to concatenate and get rid of all the redundant files, but I am worried about loosing important files in the process.

In the meantime this is just a short term fix to get me through until I have time to get the leaves out of the gutters.