PDA

View Full Version : ScreamerNet on the Mac

kopperdrake
08-22-2008, 04:16 PM
With UB Mac LW 9.3, I read that it's best to run one node per thread, so that would make 8 node on a dual quad core machine right? Is this right? At the moment I'm seeing only one of the 8 threads being used at the moment for a larger render. I have about 8 large renders to do, each take about 3 hours with LW using all 8 threads (2 CPUs), but in screamernet the first image is at 5 hours and nowhere near done, with only one eighth of the total CPU power available being utlised. It's a radiosity image, will I find that things will speed up once the GI solution is written? (not that that makes any difference as it'll still take too long). Is there any other option to queue LW scenes of this sort?

Thanks for any help - tearing my hair out atm :/ I'm also getting the Mac adding weird character to the scene files where a return should be, think this might be an OS thing but it's scary. Also getting bad performance in Layout with the graphics card (a Radeon HD 2600) - so bad it's unusable for anything large, but which my Mac running an older ATI 1900XT in bootcamp can run easily.

Chilton
08-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi,

First off, if the Mac is adding weird characters to the scene files, that's a bug.

Second, if you have 9.3, you should get the 9.5 beta and try that. We've been doing a lot of work on it, and some of this might be addressed there.

-Chilton

kopperdrake
08-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for replying Chilton, reckon I'll do that. I was loath to use a beta version on a production machine but we have a spare PC we can always fall back on if needs be (yeugh).

Chilton
08-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi,

With the exception of the preferences, the 9.5.1 Open Beta will coexist peacefully with 9.3.1. Just make sure you back up your preferences in case anything goes wonky. We have new instructions in 9.5.1 for handling multiple preference file locations, so you might look into that. And I wouldn't recommend running the two at the same time, though that is technically possible.

-Chilton

kopperdrake
08-23-2008, 01:55 AM
thanks Chilton, I'll get it installed over the weekend :) Any idea if LWCAD 2.5 works ok with the beta at the mo?

jackany
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
...Any idea if LWCAD 2.5 works ok with the beta at the mo?

No problems so far, LWCAD 2.5 works just fine with the various beta builds for me.

kopperdrake
08-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Cheers jackany - great to know. We'll start using 9.5 beta in production side by side with 9.3 :)