PDA

View Full Version : How Many Processor Cores can LW handle?

frank1024
08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
How many processor cores can LW handle? I've been reading about the new Intel Dunnington Chip which has six cores. I assume that Apple will use these 6 core processors in the next MacPros. Perhaps in a dual processor 12 core machine. WOW, I hope so!:dance:

Giacomo99
08-21-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm drooling with anticipation. Although I have to say my present 8-core machine has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. Hopefully by the time it starts to feel slow, I'll be in a position to buy a quad-processor six-core machine (24 processors, bay-bee!)

Scazzino
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Just wait for Nehalem (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/20/intel_nehalem_server/)... 2,4,8 cores per chip... with multiple threads per core...

I want a 16 core Mac Pro running 32 threads in Snow Leopard... :D

frank1024
08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
So your saying that LW code is written to run optimally on machines with more than 8 cores?

Celshader
08-21-2008, 10:39 PM
So your saying that LW code is written to run optimally on machines with more than 8 cores?

LightWave has an "automatic" multithreading setting for rendering. The render engine can scale to as many cores as it finds on the machine, and the new cameras are highly efficient when multithreaded across cores.

The Motion Designer plug-in has a "Max Threads" setting in its options panel. You can set this number to as many threads as you like.

Everything else in LightWave is single-threaded.

rakker16mm
08-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I think the question isn't really how many cores LightWave can handle, but rather how many processors can the RAM handle. How many Processors can access the RAM before the other processors are just sitting idle?

Lightwolf
08-22-2008, 01:39 AM
I think the question isn't really how many cores LightWave can handle, but rather how many processors can the RAM handle. How many Processors can access the RAM before the other processors are just sitting idle?
The overhead per extra thread is fairly minimal. All of the scene data is shared between the threads, the only data that is local to a thread would be data generated when tracing a specific ray, a few hundred Kb at most.

Cheers,
Mike

Chilton
08-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi,

Everything else in LightWave is single-threaded.

We actually use threading for a few other things as well--mesh deformation comes to mind. The best way to gauge whether it's using one thread or more is to turn on Activity Monitor and watch the charts.

-Chilton

Chilton
08-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi,

How many processor cores can LW handle? I've been reading about the new Intel Dunnington Chip which has six cores. I assume that Apple will use these 6 core processors in the next MacPros. Perhaps in a dual processor 12 core machine. WOW, I hope so!:dance:

The simple answer is that as long as we're efficiently slicing up work across threads, we'll be able to howl on whatever hardware you buy.

-Chilton

shrox
08-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi,

The simple answer is that as long as we're efficiently slicing up work across threads, we'll be able to howl on whatever hardware you buy.

-Chilton

I've seen LW bundled with systems overseas, are there any machine/LW bundles in the USA?

Lightwolf
08-22-2008, 06:19 PM
We actually use threading for a few other things as well--mesh deformation comes to mind.
True, but afaik that's also the only (interactive, non-rendering) case where a single workload is distributed amongst all the cores.

Cheers,
Mike