PDA

View Full Version : Here Comes Multi-threaded Madness!!

Ivan D. Young
08-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Intel's IDF show is giving previews of near future Processors. Quad cores with Hyper threading (That's Right 8 cores!), 6 core Server Procs, SSD's and video cards.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-idf-core-i7-nehalem,6215.html
Turbo Boost!!!
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Turbo-Mode-Intel,6193.html
16 GB RAM sticks
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Hynix-DDR3-MetaRam,6202.html

I really can't wait for LW 10, the average user next summer will be buying Octo-cores with hyper threading (that's 16 cores for those keeping score at home). And large amounts of RAM, hoorah!
If you are not on the 64 Bit wagon train, what are you waiting for? I am serious, money aside; if you are not 64 bit then go home!

I would say that Newtek should stop development of 32 bit LW, in another year why would you even buy a 32 bit machine, other than a very small PC or moblie device.

Ivan D. Young
08-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Forgot this one, for the Laptop power users out there.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/idf-mobile-gaming-graphics-montevina,6216.html

Man it is a great time to be a 3D user, power galore!

Lewis
08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
You can install 32bit Lw on 64bit system and use more than 2GB ram on it also. Currently problem wiht 64bit Lw is that many, many plugins (especially FREE) aren't compiled for 64bit so basically i use 32bit modeler and 64bit layout on winXP64 :).

AbnRanger
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
You can install 32bit Lw on 64bit system and use more than 2GB ram on it also. Currently problem wiht 64bit Lw is that many, many plugins (especially FREE) aren't compiled for 64bit so basically i use 32bit modeler and 64bit layout on winXP64 :).They had better hurry and get with the scene because 32bit will soon be just about as dead as MSDOS. It is only hanging around for legacy reasons, but that train (technology-wise) left a few years ago. Very few people are going to want to stay contstrained to 2-3GB's when more and more desktops are coming with 16GB+ capacity

Ivan D. Young
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that many people feel like not enough of the apps that they use are 64 bit (Photoshop, After Effects, or Premiere). Adobe is shipping a 64 bit version of Photoshop later this year. I think that when Photoshop and Premeire go 64 bit, we will see many many folks go 64 bit. The biggest area of growth for Vista is not 32 bit, but 64 bit installs and that is apparently a good size gap and getting larger. I know the XP 64 crowd would have us believe that it is better, and it might be, but Vista 64 is getting better drive support and better peripherials. So the switch experience is much better. The number of satisfied customers with
Vista is much higher with the 64 bit crowd as well.( i think that has to do with thier better PC's). And Vista supports up to I believe 8 cores with no problems. a higher number of cores requires a server version of Windows. ( anyone care to confirm?) When I get to having more than 8 cores I will probably go Server 2008, I hear lots of good things about that OS. Heck, some folks are recommending going straight to Server 2008 and skip Vista 64.

Lightwolf
08-22-2008, 01:41 AM
And Vista supports up to I believe 8 cores with no problems. a higher number of cores requires a server version of Windows. ( anyone care to confirm?)
Afaik there is no limit to the amount of cores, but sockets.
Vista Pro/Ultimate supports two sockets, the home variant one.

Cheers,
Mike

Lewis
08-22-2008, 01:43 AM
From what I've seen even WinXp 32bit shows 32 cores support when you go to affinity tab. Not that I've tried but they are showed as 32 cores possible ?

Ivan D. Young
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah Maybe it is based on sockets. Is it correct that Microsoft applies lincensing based on sockets? I thought that was announced awhile ago. Well, with it based on sockets, two sockets in the near future will be just fine. We are looking at hyper threaded Quads in September, Octo-cores by years end and the Hyper Threaded Octo-cores next spring, that could give you 32 cores in a two processor/two socket package. That would make for a nice render farm.:thumbsup: