PDA

View Full Version : Handles in Modeler perspective Viewport

Samus
08-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi !

Too many times you need to work in the Modeler perspective Viewport,
And i think it's obvious That handles are Needed Like in modo 3DS or Maya.
Newtek doe'snt seem to tilt a this One.Although Already some features in modeler has this Handle-like Feature. So i'm calling out to you "Coders" that
can get a script to "Handle" this not so overwhelming feature.

Thanks...

Skonk
08-21-2008, 06:53 AM
I guess it wont hurt to add an option to turn handles on but tbh I personally dont want them there fulltime.

I like that I can just hold CTRL and have the translations locked to a particular axis without the need to clutter it up with a handle.

meshpig
08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi !

Too many times you need to work in the Modeler perspective Viewport,
And i think it's obvious That handles are Needed Like in modo 3DS or Maya.
Newtek doe'snt seem to tilt a this One.Although Already some features in modeler has this Handle-like Feature. So i'm calling out to you "Coders" that
can get a script to "Handle" this not so overwhelming feature.

Thanks...

Boing. I'm sick of hearing about handles for LW. Modeler is a great app and if you can't put your money where your mouth is and buy modo, 3DS or maya or all 3 then tough luck.

Just because you can state the obvious doesn't mean you've got modeler in the bag.

m

hrgiger
08-21-2008, 08:32 AM
I like that I can just hold CTRL and have the translations locked to a particular axis without the need to clutter it up with a handle.

Handles can do more then just constrain in one axes. You can use handles to constrain to a particular plane as well like XY or YZ which you can't do just by holding CTRL. Handles can also constrain you to the viewport view while doing rotations as well.

People who argue against handles have obviously never used them.

alifx
08-21-2008, 08:42 AM
People who argue against handles have obviously never used them.

that's right

even though one could think a bit if handles where not important , then why all of the other software are using using handles if they aren't that important for constraint modeling.

it would be nice to have handles in modeler with an option that enables or disables them.

regard,
ali

JeffrySG
08-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I really like modeler, but I must admit, that I love handles - especially they way that Silo has them (never used modo). It makes many things for me super fast and intiuitive. I also love the option to turn them off as well. I submitted a feature request a while back for this. I'm hoping that v10 has the option for them.

Surrealist.
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I'd like to see handles too. The best work around I can see right now is the Translate plus tool - also rotates and scales. But it also has limitations.

I do know there are some plug ins out there that do some similar things - fee I think. I was asking this question a while ago. Is it a pictrix plugin? can't remember.

In any case I just use all the usual workarounds, or plan not to need them.

EDIT: remembering more. The plugin I was thinking of does the stuff Steve is talking about.

cresshead
08-21-2008, 12:33 PM
handles would be a nice addition when newtek get around to moving modeler into layout.

silviotoledo
08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
There's a tool called ROOVER tool on modeler wich is " almost " a handle.

Handles are extremelly necessary for modeler.

beverins
08-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Handles would be great. Since they did openGL solidfill bones for Layout in 9.5, I would think it wouldn't be that hard to expand their primitive grab-squares to proper handles...? And then expand that to handles for every function?

Though I think if they went that route, they should just go whole hog and imitate Modo's selection highlighting (Autodesk copied 'em, so I think that's fair game now) as well as handles and the like.

I find handles very useful. They exist in Layout, shouldnt be so hard

Lewis
08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
They exist in Layout, shouldnt be so hard

If is that easy we would have them already :). But true is that Layout and modeler are made by two different programmers and not in mind to become one unified app so their code isn't so easy to exchange (heck we have LSCommander for scripts and macros in layout and not in modeler where would be even more useful). Basically i doubt it's easy task to do it but I'm sure NT knows they need to make them for future LW versions.

Best solution (IMHO) would be to have handles activated "per window" so that we can turn them on/off based on window where you currently work and generally possible to turn them on/off also (shourtcut is a must).

Sensei
08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Modeler has handles feature. But each tool is using it (or not) without general standardization. See Box tool f.e. it has some blue handles. It is almost not possible to make standardization now. It's like rewriting the all Modeler's tools, not to mention 3rd party. There is no reason why 3rd party tool don't have handles except they're additional thing to care of. Not to mention they're making mess (slowing down and viewport not readable) for hi-poly objects. Apps like C4D which have handles have completely different architecture - you can drop and select during tool is active (so handles are interpolated result). Modeler cannot change selection during tool operation.

Samus
08-25-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi again,

Seem's to be perfectly doable like Pictrix Did. Yet Custom tools but it would be nice to know when you move a point or poly where is the world X Y Z build in Lightwave Perspective Window.

Sp_Move.p & Sp_Roll.p

http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/index_2.html