PDA

View Full Version : Beveling an object

pdp editor
08-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm trying to bevel inset an object IAW a tut I'm following. My problem is applying -50mm inset to it does nothing is can see, what could be causing this?

JamesCurtis
08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Any duplicated points or polys?

pdp editor
08-20-2008, 11:42 PM
how would I know?

meshpig
08-21-2008, 12:59 AM
If the object you are beveling on is say 1oom wide, 50 mm numerically won't do much. Check the scale.

... You can find duplicated points in "i" info either by selecting points or polys.

m

Surrealist.
08-21-2008, 01:05 AM
One thing to try is to click on a polygon in a shading mode, wireframe shade or above and delete. If there is a poly under then you have.

You can also merge points and also use the unify poly's command in that order will help also sort it out.

Lastly you can also just restart modeler if the tool is just not working now for some reason. And if that does not work the next thing takes more precaution, so see if this sorts it out first.

pdp editor
08-21-2008, 05:46 AM
thank for the responses I will try these tonight

pdp editor
08-21-2008, 08:12 PM
One thing to try is to click on a polygon in a shading mode, wireframe shade or above and delete. If there is a poly under then you have.

You can also merge points and also use the unify poly's command in that order will help also sort it out.

Lastly you can also just restart modeler if the tool is just not working now for some reason. And if that does not work the next thing takes more precaution, so see if this sorts it out first.

Please see the attachment all mentioned above did not work. It may be a size issue.

pdp editor
08-21-2008, 08:26 PM
one question I used plugin sp_polygon to make this building, should I have been in polygon or points mode?

Giacomo99
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
It looks like the object you're tryimng to bevel has no depth, which may be a problem. Try extruding the shape and then beveling it--if you need to, you can always delete the side polys later.

Surrealist.
08-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Sp polygon plugin is fine usually. I drew out a similar polygon and bevel was getting confused between inner and outer - something it does every now and again. So the shape may be an issue. In that case you can simply pull it outward (drag right) and that will make it go in. Then you simply flip the inside poly and you are good to go.

But the same shape pulled out with the pen tool did not have this problem.

To be sure pull out a box with the box tool and bevel that. If that works it is not the tool.

Then step two is to perhaps just make another polygon. Yo can do that very easy with that polygon in the BG and the Sp polygon tool with BG snap enabled (on by default). Or you can duplicate it with the pen tool instead see if that works better.

If bevel does not work on the simple box step two is to delete your modeler config file but that requires saving your current config layout so you can reload it and also then you'll have to reload all of your plugins. So let's hope that is not it.

If you can not get that shape to work with the bevel tool maybe try the multishift tool instead. But SP polygon may very well be the culprit here.

pdp editor
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
this attachment may shed some light on my problems the gray lines dont seem right

pdp editor
08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
not having any depth was the problem.

pdp editor
08-21-2008, 09:13 PM
how do I get rid of the extra geometry

Hopper
08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I could be wrong and this may be better left to the professionals, but doesn't bevel usually freak out when you try to apply it to non-planar poly's?

Surrealist.
08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
how do I get rid of the extra geometry

It's not geometry. Only a display issue. If yo hit the "i" key while in polygon select mode you'll probably see that it is degenerate.

Interesting that I have never actually pinpointed that before. But that is what it is. And also the reason most likely you are having your problem.

Yeah Hopper, that seems to be true.

Sometimes Sp polygon tool makes degenerate polys with these complex shapes - a draw back of the plugin I guess - but the solution would be to create it with the pen tool or simply use the split or connect tool on that poly until all the polys are not degenerate then use the multishift tool.

Sensei
08-22-2008, 05:44 AM
TrueArt's tool SelectPolygonsWithImproperEdge http://www.trueart.eu should show you where you have duplicated geometry..

toby
08-22-2008, 09:43 PM
You can only inset so far anyway, before points start to cross under each other and flip things around. It looks like that's what's happening at the corners. If you can break this shape into simpler shapes it'll help.

Tobian
08-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh I get broken polygons like that all the time. The simplest way to fix them is to select the face triple it (shift t) and merge it again (shift z). If a polygon is highly broken sometimes that won't work but it works 99% of the time. Broken polygons won't work with the bevel tool as LW can't determine which way it's normal is facing.

Another way of trying it would be do extent it (e) and then collapse the main polygon (it's in construct -> reduce -> more ) which will suck it to the centre of weighting.

pdp editor
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
THanks guys sounds like alot of work; before I try what's mentioned here I will start over using LWCAD tools namely the wall tool. Problem is my experience has lead me away from changing steps, tools and procedures when using a tut to build an object I desire. I will post my results

Surrealist.
08-23-2008, 07:29 PM
What tool did the tutorial have you using? Curious. I did find the Sp polygon tool to great the exact effect you had whereas the pen tool did not.

pdp editor
08-23-2008, 08:20 PM
The tut has me using the PX Sp Polygon

Surrealist.
08-23-2008, 08:52 PM
I can understand why. Great tool

Try this.

Apparently has some issues with this version of Modeler however I think. If I wanted to stick to the tutorial as much as possible I would draw out a new polygon with the pen tool. Then use the snap drag tool to make it fit exactly with the other poly (in the same layer - select the poly you are editing) and you'd be good to go.

PICTRIX
08-23-2008, 08:56 PM
As for the polygon that you made, the normal is not obtained.
The polygon status is displayed as NON-planar.
When the polygon is made from the point of the arrow of the image that I presented, it becomes NON-planar.
The starting point should be a corner.
I think that it is not a kind of problem of the tool. :D
Mr. Tobian is introducing the technique for normalizing an illegal polygon.

Surrealist.
08-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks! Did not know that before. I'll try it out. :)

PICTRIX
08-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Apparently has some issues with this version of Modeler however I think.

I also think so.
Certainly, there is a problem of the polygon normal.

pdp editor
08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
:help:here is my latest attempts I have the outside of the building extruded however look at the inside walls. They wont extrude solid. I get two flat unconnected polygons, one on top one on the bottom. The problem is when I did the outside walls I was able to do it as single wall. The inside walls are a lot more detailed and most are not connected, I had to drop the tool many times to start somewhere else in the building. they are all in the same layer but this is just not working for me.

Surrealist.
08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
I also think so.
Certainly, there is a problem of the polygon normal.

Interesting. I use this tool all the time and never noticed it because I always just subdivide it up with add edges in prep for subd so the degenerate poly was never an issue.

In any case thanks for a great tool I use all the time! :thumbsup:

PICTRIX
08-24-2008, 02:15 AM
In any case thanks for a great tool I use all the time! :thumbsup:

Thank you for using it. :) Surrealist.-san !

Tom2007
08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I noticed in the original shape you are trying to bevel that their are several points along the line segment parts (between the points at the 90 degree angle points on shape) Do you need those points? You could select them and delete than and your shape will not change.

If you have any duplicate points or polygons I think that would also mess up the bevel working correctly. If you think that might be the case you could remake the polygon. Press "k" to get rid of polygon and keep your points.

Then merge points to get rid of duplicate points. Count how many points you see and check Point statistics to make sure its the same number.

Select your points in order, and press "p" to make a new polygon.

To get rid of a non planar polygon, you can select all the points and use Set Value to align them all parallel to one axis.