PDA

View Full Version : LW Crashes instantly

Jit
02-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Okay, this has been frustrating me for quite some time. I had lightwave installed on my computer, and then one day it just up and quit. It crashes every time I load layout or modeler, the hub says "cannot launch program" and no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall it never works. I have another drive, so I installed it to that, it still didn't work. It was only when I put in a dual boot system and booted up in windows 98 (I'm currently using 2000 professional) and ran the program did it work. The problem is my windows 98 doesn't have a working sound card driver or cd driver (long story) so I need it on windows 2000. Any ideas what might be the problem?

-wT-
02-24-2003, 05:48 AM
All I can suggest is to reinstall Windows, can't think of anything else :(
Windows tends to be a pain in the *** when something goes terribly wrong, as there's no way to fix it or even know what to fix.

mattclary
02-24-2003, 01:51 PM
It's probably a problem with the video driver. It's invoking Open GL as it launches, and it's crashing. Try to get a new video driver. What type of video card are you using? Also, try disabling the hub by using a shortcut with -0 (that's a zero) at the end of the command line.

Epita
02-24-2003, 03:48 PM
hey, at lest you win98 starts up all the time... do the thing, get new drivers ya ya ya... se if there is an update for 2K from m$. Put 2k on the other drive and wipe 98 (its better too)

Epita

Jit
02-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, wiping windows 98 is not an option, I need it's pure dos and complications have let me to use it quite frequently for several applications.

I'll try running it without the hub, but also I noticed something yesterday, when I uninstall, then reinstall, it keeps the recent files listing, so obviously uninstalling does not remove all the files and such. Perhaps there is an uninstall guide somewhere that I have not noticed that covers this?

Castius
02-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Make sure after you uninstall that it removed the config files. This proble why switching to win98 fixed it. Cause it generated new configs files.

mattclary
02-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Definite possibility and easy to test. Remove all your lw*.cfg files from your Documents and Settings folder, then restart LightWave.