PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#2

Iain
08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

If you have the facility, a link to a recording of your modelling process would be very useful. This is NOT essential but would greatly help those still learning.
This Week:

Subject - Cooking aids
Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 27th August 2008

Pick anything you use to help around the kitchen.
(Poser females in aprons not accepted!)

Once again, I'll start it off.

Olive Oil Caraffe. Modelling time: 30 minutes. Happy to share model and scene.
Rendered in LW using dielectrics.

geothefaust
08-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Oohhh, I like this one! I can't wait to start working on something.

Iain, great job on that. It looks superb. It makes me want to make a salad and put some balsamic vinegar on it, lol.

flakester
08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
:agree: Nice job there Iain.

I'll see if I can find some time (about 60 mins!) to get something together for this one.

flakester.

Hopper
08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I have a great scene in mind, but I'm sure I can't do it in 60 minutes, but if anyone else is up to the challenge....

I was thinking of the standard "kitchen" HDRI with a cutting board on the table with an orange cut in half (with full "wet drip" texturing) and the giant "Psycho" kitchen knife stuck into the cutting board at the tip. Maybe a couple of other random piece of fruit laying around. Dunno .. just a thought.

JeffrySG
08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Great start Iain! When were all done with this one we should give Iain all of or models for one big kitchen render!

I'm off to the kitchen now to figure out what to work on. :)

Hopper
08-20-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm off to the kitchen now to figure out what to work on. :)
You too eh?

So I'm fumbling around the kitchen, looking through drawers and cabinets and my wife comes in .. "What are you looking for?" I said "Something to model and render." All I got was "Oh no you're not!!! Last time you used one of my pans I found it in the garage 6 weeks later with some sort of car gunk of yours in it. No way mister."

I got a good chuckle out of it. I explained to her what I meant and all I heard from the kitchen as I walked away was "You'd better not ruin that!" ...

Women ... gotta love'm

zardoz
08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
hi everyone
after a long time without posting anything I decided to participate in this challenge.
so here is my entry
it's the Philip Stark's "Juicy Salif" lemon squeezer

modeling time: around 40 mins
started at 2:05 am and ended at around 2:45 am...spent the time until now 4 am texturing and rendering...I'm not very happy with the juice and glass texture so if I have the time I'll try to improve it.

and Iain, yes I would love to put my hands in your scene to see how those reflections render in my machine.

JeffrySG
08-20-2008, 09:35 PM
You too eh?

So I'm fumbling around the kitchen, looking through drawers and cabinets and my wife comes in .. "What are you looking for?" I said "Something to model and render." All I got was "Oh no you're not!!! Last time you used one of my pans I found it in the garage 6 weeks later with some sort of car gunk of yours in it. No way mister."

I got a good chuckle out of it. I explained to her what I meant and all I heard from the kitchen as I walked away was "You'd better not ruin that!" ...

Women ... gotta love'm

LOL, I got "why is that in the office???", and I was like "um... I'm modeling it...". I got a nice look of confusion in return. True geek 3d nerds we are, I tell you! lol hahahah

I finished my model, but I'll need another day or two to do a render. Once again I thought I was finished around 40min or so, and then easily spent another 20min tweaking the model. I wanted to work on the topology a bit more but had to stop myself. ;)

@zardoz: that looks amazing, mate! great job!!

Iain
08-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Forgot to post a wire.

Nice work Zardoz. Love the glass and orange materials!

Hopper, my life (wife) has been like that since I discovered LW. I keep telling her its better than having someone who goes out for a "pint of milk" and comes back 5 hours later stinking of booze.

Nangleator
08-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Damn you, zardoz!

I wanted that juicer/science fiction knife thingy!

jpleonard
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Missed out on the challenge last week, too much work. Here's a oven I threw together, surfaced, and rendered in 47 minutes. I didn't take too much time for the renders, as I didn't want to go over the 60 minute time limit. I will post an updated render with better lighting and shadows later, back to work for now though.

dwburman
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
The time limit is for modeling only.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

jpleonard
08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, thanks. I saw that just after I posted it. Oh well, I can always go back and do more teture work and scene setup for a better render. Good exersice anyway.:foreheads

R.Feeney
08-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Helps me get things done and not just in the kitchen :D

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62065&stc=1&d=1219342991http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62064&stc=1&d=1219343172

colkai
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Didn't have much time, but got the modelling done in about 40 mins or so, then took me another 30 mins to faff about with surfaces and getting a render done. Probably could model it in half the time had I done any planning whatsoever, but i winged it as usual. ;)

This little thing is called a "Boa Constrictor" and helps prevent lots of wrist strain in our household. :)
Attached the content as well, such as it is. :p

IgnusFast
08-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Stupid question, but if I make an appliance, do I have to model the power cord? It's the little things that can blow out a time budget.... :)

RollerJesus
08-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Right around 45 for the initial modeling then about 10 minutes of tweaking after I started setting up the render. Spent almost 2 hours getting the lighting and texturing in LW 9.5 and Fprime though...

I think it came out better than last week. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Very nice work

IgnusFast
08-21-2008, 08:19 PM
This is my first attempt at speed modeling, so I apologize in advance.

Object included, so feel free to laugh. :)

JeffrySG
08-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh wow.... these are all great entries! really like them all! :thumbsup:

What good is a kitchen without a spatula....

Used the whole hour for the modeling and probably spent about another hour or hour and a half on the surfacing and scene setup. Some post work in PS.

Stunt Pixels
08-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist....

What kitchen is complete without one of these? Total modeling time, about 1 second....

IgnusFast
08-21-2008, 08:46 PM
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddddddd..... :)

JeffrySG
08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist....

What kitchen is complete without one of these? Total modeling time, about 1 second....

Lmao

Iain
08-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Lots of good entries this week!

Remember to check Limit Dynamic Range if you have shiny objects under bright light to get rid of those bright spots.

colkai
08-22-2008, 04:29 AM
Question, does someone have some nice render settings? I threw FG on mine, set AA to 2 passes, Adaptive at 0.3 but I'd be lying if I said I had any clue whatsoever of what those settings meant. :p

I've also decided to take another stab at that model on Tuesday when I'm off work, so I can *GASP* plan it better first. :D

Iain
08-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Question, does someone have some nice render settings? I threw FG on mine, set AA to 2 passes, Adaptive at 0.3 but I'd be lying if I said I had any clue whatsoever of what those settings meant. :p

What Lights are you using? An Area Light or a luminous polygon works well for close ups.

FG is good as you can really crank up the samples (interpolated FG is very fast), AA might go up to 4 or 5, AS at 0.1 (or down to 0.03 is even better.) I use the Mitchell filter usually.

Set backdrop to Sunsky or Image World for nice ambient light.

RollerJesus
08-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Remember to check Limit Dynamic Range if you have shiny objects under bright light to get rid of those bright spots.

Now you tell me when I'm heading out the door for a weekend of bachelor party chaos in Las Vegas. If I make it back, I'll update the render.

Some great entries this week!

Patrick

Iain
08-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Now you tell me when I'm heading out the door for a weekend of bachelor party chaos in Las Vegas. If I make it back..............

Ach - that sounds terrible :devil:. We'll be worried!

Is it in your honour?

RollerJesus
08-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Yeah, terrible...

Yes it is.

colkai
08-22-2008, 08:11 AM
What Lights are you using? An Area Light or a luminous polygon works well for close ups.

Was just using an imageworld HDRI - my light was distant but zero percent (turned off).

RollerJesus
08-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I just started using LightBitch. http://www.hdrlabs.com/lightbitch/

It's really a nice little plug-in, you fire it up, add an HDRI image, click where you want the lights and presto, an HDRI light setup. For this render, I also added a dome with the same image mapped to it (for reflections) and set it to not be affected by the lights.

You need to buy the book if you don't want to get nag messages though.

JeffrySG
08-22-2008, 08:59 AM
^Did you buy the book RJ? How did you like it? I was thinking of getting it but haven't had the chance to look it over yet.

I've just been using a single HDR lightprobe for my last two renders, with FG interpolated raydiosity - no lights, no ambient.

RollerJesus
08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Jeff: I did buy the book, it's thorough and aimed towards CG, in particular Lightwave, so I found it convenient in that sense. To be honest, I haven't read it through completely.

I skimmed the sections that explains the theory of HDRI, studied the section where it goes through the process of creating your own HDRI images using Photoshop and once I found the Lightbitch section, I've been eyeball deep in creating HDRI lighting rigs.

I think that a determined google user could pick up all the info contained in the book for free, but it's nice to have a reference handy. Exception's tutorial was immensely helpful in understanding HDRI prior to purchasing the book.

Matt
08-22-2008, 09:24 AM
You too eh?

Women ... gotta love'm

That made me smile, I love it when our geekiness touches the 'normal' world! :D

CMT
08-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Here's mine. It took about 40 minutes to model since most of it was duplicated.

flakester
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Here be mine......
Not so much cooking aids, (unless you're measuring rice or using apples & oranges as ingredients I suppose) but can generally be found in a kitchen.

About 55mins for the models - then about five hours setting up the materials, lighting, rendering etc....

Scene files/objects/images posted too - be happy for people to disect and give info of possible improvements :thumbsup:

Cheers,

flakester.

JeffrySG
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Here's mine. It took about 40 minutes to model since most of it was duplicated.

very nice! :D

Not sure why but this looks like a maxwell render to me....

JeffrySG
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Here be mine......
Not so much cooking aids, (unless you're measuring rice or using apples & oranges as ingredients I suppose) but can generally be found in a kitchen.

About 55mins for the models - then about five hours setting up the materials, lighting, rendering etc....

Scene files/objects/images posted too - be happy for people to disect and give info of possible improvements :thumbsup:

Cheers,

flakester.
Really nice scene! the render looks great!

flakester
08-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Really nice scene! the render looks great!

Cheers Dude. Been impressed with the quality of all the entries so far myself.

flakester.

CMT
08-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Here's a render with better material settings. There was too much reflection blur before.

Also, here's the scene files. Again, this was done at my day job, so I only had access to LW 8.5 to make the scene.

CMT
08-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Double Post...

flakester
08-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Here's a render with better material settings. There was too much reflection blur before.

The previous render was ~aprettyprettycool, this one however is more like a catalogue shot. Well done on the refinement. Ace job :thumbsup:

flakester.

CMT
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
This one should work. I forgot to include the luminous polys on the last one (used in the reflections) and the floor set. :foreheads

JeffrySG
08-22-2008, 03:16 PM
^new render looks even nicer! :)

Here's the file for my spatula if anyone wants to fool with it...

cohominous
08-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, here's the most useful things in MY kitchen...

I'll post the zip file when I get beck to work.

flakester
08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Well, here's the most useful things in MY kitchen....

lmao!

Many a true word (or picture) said in jest.
Ace. The touch of chromatic aberration really sells it!

flakester.

Tippsy
08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
HA nice Cohominous! Me too as if kitchens aren't made for ordering takeout!

OlaHaldor
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Dang! You're too good to be true. Almost feel embarrassed by my lack of skills of modeling. :o

We'll see if I'll pick up something from the kitchen and let the music flow through my ears. I might even learn how to use some of the tools... :help:

TripD
08-22-2008, 06:15 PM
ahhhh crap..... took me over an hour cause I'm, as a close friend would say

'Slow and sloppy!!!' < spoken straight from the gut >

Anyway.... this attempt goes out to all of us that don't cook so good! :)

Hopper
08-22-2008, 06:36 PM
ahhhh crap..... took me over an hour cause I'm, as a close friend would say

'Slow and sloppy!!!' < spoken straight from the gut >

Anyway.... this attempt goes out to all of us that don't cook so good! :)
Hah! Well you'll definately get points from me for originality. You and cohominous have the right ideas.

OlaHaldor
08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh well. Here goes.. Took me an hour to figure out somewhat how to do this, and exactly when it hit the 60min marker, I got done with those lines which really makes up the the tool useful.

Pretty simple model. Didn't even get time to make a hole in the end of it to make it possible to hang it on the wall or anything (and by the way - how the heck am I supposed to make that hole look good with a nice bevel from the surface and into a hole like that?..)

Also, the lines looked pretty much screwed up after I extruded them. :thumbsdow

Hopper
08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
(and by the way - how the heck am I supposed to make that hole look good with a nice bevel from the surface and into a hole like that?..)
Don't sell yourself short. A lot of us are beginners here. That's still a great model.

To get the hole (I noticed you aren't using SubD) - you can create a cylinder with the appropriate diameter, put it in a background layer and boolean it out. Then select the edges on either side and use bridge to connect the top and bottom together - then edge bevel to get a nice rounded look. It's obviously a "little" harder than just that but play around with it and see how it goes. There are probably 100 other ways to do it too.

btw - for the "beater" wires, try using rail extrude and create some solid geometry and a lot more divisions and you can get a smoother look.

Surrealist.
08-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Been following these. Great work guys!

cresshead
08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Question are we allowed to use zsphere's for a low res mesh as a starting point form zbrush as they're realy fast to throw a organic form together..then refine and finish the model in modeler?

Iain
08-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Question are we allowed to use zsphere's for a low res mesh as a starting point form zbrush as they're realy fast to throw a organic form together..then refine and finish the model in modeler?

Hmmm I suppose the rules say LW should be used for modelling.

It's a LW modelling challenge but as long as it was mainly modelled in LW it would be OK.

meshpig
08-23-2008, 06:18 AM
60 minutes just ain't enough for me... I do everything on 4x magnification so that's %50 downtime farting around looking twice at everything:bangwall:

- I think since I only have %9 of my eyesight left there should be a special ;D category for us handicapped looneys who have nothing better to do:lol:

Here's another lousy render and given another 60 minutes I could tidy up my trusty Italian blade...

m

cresshead
08-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Hmmm I suppose the rules say LW should be used for modelling.

It's a LW modelling challenge but as long as it was mainly modelled in LW it would be OK.

yeah i'll just use zsphere's lo res mesh for a starting point then send the obj out to lw straight off...i'll have absh after some wallpaper stripping later this afternoo:thumbsup:n!

cresshead
08-23-2008, 08:44 AM
60 minutes just ain't enough for me... I do everything on 4x magnification so that's %50 downtime farting around looking twice at everything:bangwall:

- I think since I only have %9 of my eyesight left there should be a special ;D category for us handicapped looneys who have nothing better to do:lol:

Here's another lousy render and given another 60 minutes I could tidy up my trusty Italian blade...

m

excellent render!:thumbsup:

BlueApple
08-23-2008, 11:56 AM
One of the best gifts I have ever gotten. 50 minutes to model, less to texture and render. If anyone has some advice on the attempt at brushed metal, I'd love to hear it. It just isn't turning out the way I'd like.

BTW, all of the other work looks very good. That chef's knife is much better than the one I tried to build :)

flakester
08-23-2008, 02:12 PM
~ If anyone has some advice on the attempt at brushed metal, I'd love to hear it. It just isn't turning out the way I'd like.

If you post the scene file, I'm sure a few people here wouldn't mind taking a look - myself included....... though my brushed metal never turns out how I really want it to either if I'm honest.

@ Meshpig: That is a nice looking knife. I did think about attempting my better half's Koch Messer [that name still makes me laugh, I'm such a child!] cleaver for this challenge, but knew outright that I wouldn't be able to produce something nice in 60 mins!

flakester.

BlueApple
08-23-2008, 09:13 PM
If you post the scene file, I'm sure a few people here wouldn't mind taking a look - myself included....... though my brushed metal never turns out how I really want it to either if I'm honest.

In the attached .zip is my scene, objects and images. Also attached is a photo of the actual object.

If anyone wants to take a stab at improving the metal texture, it would be a huge help.

JeffrySG
08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
@TripD: love the TUMS man! great idea! - I'll take two! (actually four!)
@OlaHaldor: that mixer looks like it came from the same set as my spatula! nice job!
@meshpig: friggin' love that render man! (and model too!)
@BlueApple: model came out nice!

Iain
08-24-2008, 03:42 AM
If anyone wants to take a stab at improving the metal texture, it would be a huge help.

Matt posted a cool anisotropic Nodal setup.

Check out Preset Central (although I'm sure it's here too).

OlaHaldor
08-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Thank you Jeffry! Found your tutorials by a google search last night and took the time to go through the modeling of that perfume bottle.. I might consider remodeling or creating another tool then.. :)

BlueApple
08-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Iain-
Do you know the name of the metal surface you are referring to? I went through Preset Central's list of metals and I don't think I found the one you speak of.

Iain
08-24-2008, 07:25 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86477

Sorry I thought it would be there too.

BlueApple
08-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Iain-
Thanks for the link, that tutorial is great!
Attached is another stab at the texture.

COBRASoft
08-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to try this contest once. I spent about 60 minutes modelling this object. It can be used for lettuce, french fries, meat, ... My girlfriend calls it 'The Polyvalente' :)

Greetings,
Sigurd

P.S.: PresetCentral, you got to love it, thanks Matt.

JeffrySG
08-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey guys,
I wanted to try this contest once. I spent about 60 minutes modelling this object. It can be used for lettuce, french fries, meat, ... My girlfriend calls it 'The Polyvalente' :)
Greetings,
Sigurd
P.S.: PresetCentral, you got to love it, thanks Matt.

^looks really nice, the brushed metal texture came out great!

Thank you Jeffry! Found your tutorials by a google search last night and took the time to go through the modeling of that perfume bottle.. I might consider remodeling or creating another tool then.. :)

I'm glad you found the vids useful! Cheers!

meshpig
08-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi

... second attempt. I cheated a bit using the splines from the previous. That's it, no more... I'd rather take my time.

Cheers.

m

PS
Polyvalente
Hey guys,

I wanted to try this contest once. I spent about 60 minutes modelling this object. It can be used for lettuce, french fries, meat, ... My girlfriend calls it 'The Polyvalente'

Greetings,
Sigurd

... is your girlfriend a chemist?

Iain
08-25-2008, 02:59 AM
Hey guys,

Very nice Sigurd!

Good knives Meshpig.:thumbsup:

COBRASoft
08-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Hey,

Thanks for all the comments. I've used LWCad a lot in this, specially for the 'wires' and I've used the box-modelling method for the handle part. Some clone and mirror was used aswell :)

Greetings,
Sigurd

P.S.: My GF is Brazilian (so, a little crazy now and then :D). But we use that thing for almost everything in the kitchen.

meshpig
08-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Hey,

Thanks for all the comments. I've used LWCad a lot in this, specially for the 'wires' and I've used the box-modelling method for the handle part. Some clone and mirror was used aswell :)

Greetings,
Sigurd

P.S.: My GF is Brazilian (so, a little crazy now and then :D). But we use that thing for almost everything in the kitchen.

Cool, never seem one and I have some pretty obscure gadgets in my cuisine, and yeah...LWCAD is a another cool gadget !!!

-I'm still finding my way with LW splines... for anyone not familiar with their
utility.

M:thumbsup:

Iain
08-25-2008, 07:12 AM
My intention was to do a few of these over the weekend since they are useful for work but I haven't had any time.

I'll throw in another knife though.

Modelling time 16 minutes.

meshpig
08-25-2008, 08:21 AM

Wow, that's quick!

- I used that brand professionally for a while: the hollow handle sucked for prolonged use... there was good money in chopping vegetables for 12 hours a day with the airlines at one point. Hardly worth being trained for but ... Serious $$ ****; you'd be amazed @ how many bags of carrots you can Julienne in a day.

At least the paring knives held an edge for more than a day.

m:thumbsup:

RollerJesus
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey CMT,

I noticed that you modeled this one in tri's, but your PPK you did in quads... What's the deal with that?

`Patrick

OlaHaldor
08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
This time I spent 45-50 minutes modeling this pizza slicer. Thanks again JeffrySG. The tutorials were nothing but a great way to get me going and understand a tiny little bit more of modeler.

The steel surfaces are standard presets from LightWave with slight modifications. The texture of the handle is Planks (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Textures.htm) - a procedural texture.

I modified the handle a bit as I think it should be in the real world. My pizza slicer is just straight forward - with a slight bend, it would give better grip and thrust, I guess.. :)

CMT
08-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Actually, it was modelled in Quads as well. But for the this model I screen grabbed the camera wireframe view in layout, which for some reason showed as tris. The PPK wires were screen grabbed from modeler.

After messing with it for a few seconds, I just now figured out why it does that too. When you make the view "Textured solid wireframe" in layout, it shows the subdivision wires as well. So under the item panel I had "1" for display subdivision level which made it look like tris. Changing it to "0" makes it shown with no subdivision so it shows up correctly as quads.

RollerJesus
08-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Actually, it was modelled in Quads as well. But for the this model I screen grabbed the camera wireframe view in layout, which for some reason showed as tris. The PPK wires were screen grabbed from modeler.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

Nangleator
08-25-2008, 09:26 PM
You might not call this cooking, but I do.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/ToasterBeauty.jpg

No time to do Surrealist's fancy corner treatments, so my mesh is a bit fugly.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/ToasterWires.jpg

CMT
08-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Cool, Nangleator! Very retro!

meshpig
08-26-2008, 04:00 AM
,,,,,^^^^&^%%$

meshpig
08-26-2008, 04:03 AM
You might not call this cooking, but I do.

Yeah, that's definitely cooking... :thumbsup: Um, grilling, toasting, broiling is also definitely cooking too!

m

Nangleator
08-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Cool, Nangleator! Very retro!
Thanks! It's modeled it on my toaster, which is slightly more cool and toasts twice as much bread, and which I didn't have time to model perfectly. But I got the general look pretty close.

Nangleator
08-26-2008, 05:30 AM
Mine here (http://www.chrisscottphoto.com/Commercial%20Page/Delonghi%20Toaster%20Enlarge.jpg).

OlaHaldor
08-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Woah that's high-tech. Looks like a radio from the 40's with the possibility to insert bread for fun. ;D

Iain
08-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Definitely not a cooking aid but once you've cooked and eaten, you'll get this feller out, hopefully with more cheese than I had time to model.

45 minutes modelling. About the same to texture. FPrime render.

flakester
08-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Definitely not a cooking aid but once you've cooked and eaten, you'll get this feller out, hopefully with more cheese than I had time to model.

45 minutes modelling. About the same to texture. FPrime render.

Good call! - Nice job too. :thumbsup:

flakester.

Nangleator
08-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Great cheese surfacing.

meshpig
08-26-2008, 07:57 AM
OK, cool. Never really timed myself. Under 40 minutes and better since I'm working on a kitchen project already.

m

wursti
08-26-2008, 08:37 AM
modeling time 1h15m :(
render time appx 15 min

RollerJesus
08-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Is there anything you can do in FPrime that has a similar effect?

Iain
08-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Is there anything you can do in FPrime that has a similar effect?

Not really.

Rendering larger than you need and scaling down in post just about does the trick.

RollerJesus
08-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks.

flakester
08-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Wursti: That thing looks lethal!
Nice render.

flakester.

Oedo 808
08-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Some great models/renders in here, makes me envious! :thumbsup:

I really wanted to give this a go (in fact I wanted to give the last one a go but I couldn't find anything with enough references for my liking), so I set about modelling the most important kitchen implement there is. Alas, I was unable to succeed in finishing within the time limit, hence why the 'pully' bit is part of the frame. A couple of >4 point polies in there as well and some missing details, but once the clock stopped so did I. Although I must confess I had to assemble it after the hour.

Oh, and I can't render so that's about as good as it's going to get. I couldn't be bothered to worry about the surfacing when the end product would look crap anyway.

It was very enjoyable, though once the hour was up, strangely I had absolutely no desire to finish it off. Still, one of the most productive hours I've spent modelling so far.

62313 62320

flakester
08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
~so I set about modelling the most important kitchen implement there is.~

Amen to that one. Opens both beer and wine! :thumbsup:

I did originally consider trying one of those wee-flappy-armed-beasties for this challenge... but got scared. Excellent effort there.

flakester.

Iain
08-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Good attempt oedo! Lots of detail in those things.

Nice peeler wursti. Shame you went over the hour but again, it's detailed and looks well proportioned.

Nangleator
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
That was ambitious, Oedo! Nice going. I bet you learned some things.

RollerJesus
08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Oedo 808,

Would you mind posting your model? I'd like to test it in my scene if that's cool with you.

Patrick

cagey5
08-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Well I was determined to have a go at a challenge for once so I grabbed the nearest thing and tried modelling it. I just eyed it so the proportions aren't good and I ran out of time so the detailing suffered... enough exuses? Good, here it is then.

Iain
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Nice model cagey5.

Toffee sock scissor ***** in fact.
(Boosh talk.)

wursti
08-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks Iain & flakester,
I spent the most time on things barely noticeable in the final render, but I think this is common. Maybe I only have to fiddle around with those things faster ;-)

@ Oedo
Nice & Detailed, I wouldn't get half as far as you within an hour on that model.

Mitja
08-26-2008, 10:29 AM
My entry for my second contest ever!
A coffee machine ( I don't know exactly it's name in english)!
Modeling time 60mins, texturing 40 (the metal surface is a bit messed up)
Hope you like it! C&C welcome!
62328 62327
(I know, the bg isn't "aligned", I just had no time to work more on this, I took a quick photo of my actual kitchen with my iphone!)

Oedo 808
08-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys, very encouraging words. I actually decided against doing this tea maker (http://www.evasolo.dk/products-teamaker.html) as I thought the zip would be too awkward for me. With my corkscrew you can see though that there really isn't much to it, and as I said I had to assemble those pieces after the hour had past:
It's funny, I lost a lot of time just doing things wrong! Pleased with how the arms turned out though, wasted a load of time trying to be a smart-arse and transition the arm to the end piece using Bridge/Skin/Morph Polies, when in the end I just used Extender Plus.

RollerJesus:

I can't imagine why you would want even to test that model, I thought I had gotten away with it, some dodgy modelling hidden well, but it looks like now I've been outed! :o

I've included the scene file as I can only imagine the slightly wierd lighting setup might account for your interest, I didn't save the surface before so I recreated it as best I could. It's from 9.3.1 nothing fancy used, which I guess shows in my render!

Again, congratulations to those like Mitja who have made the great renders that have been posted, seeing these really helps in wanting to get the most out of Lightwave. :thumbsup:

geothefaust
08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice work everyone! I'm super jealous on all the texturing, I'm having such a hard time for some reason texturing lately. Could anyone point me to some helpful (for or otherwise) resources for texturing in LW?

Iain
08-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice work everyone! I'm super jealous on all the texturing, I'm having such a hard time for some reason texturing lately. Could anyone point me to some helpful (for or otherwise) resources for texturing in LW?

Surely you can't have missed the relaunch of Preset Central?

Some great stuff on there already.

Oedo 808
08-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Sorry geo, I didn't mean to make you feel inferior. :D

And my 'wee-flappy-armed-beastie' was in a flap because it had no beers to open nor corks to pop, so I went out and got some San Miguel just to keep it happy! :boogiedow

Hmm, perhaps I should have raided Preset Central, though even using presets seems like a daunting task to me.

Iain
08-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Couldn't resist rendering this to slightly higher quality.
Quite addictive this lark!

Oedo 808
08-26-2008, 02:10 PM
That is just superb quality Iain. I mean where the hell do you start if you want to achieve work like that!?

Anyway, two thumbs up from me. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

wursti
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow, that looks tasty, I'm getting hungry..:thumbsup:

Iain
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
where the hell do you start if you want to achieve work like that!?

Well you start when your wife is watching Big Brother and you nip off to 'catch up with some work'. Then, rather than look up totty or download music, you use the internet to try and find nice pictures of cheese (telling yourself you're normal the whole time).

CMT
08-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Sorry, Iain. That just won't do. I'm going to need some crackers with that. :)

Terrific render!

Iain
08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Sorry, Iain. That just won't do. I'm going to need some crackers with that. :)

You b******!!

Just as I was going for an early night too!:)

TripD
08-26-2008, 04:51 PM
ROFL! Very very nice scene you got there Iain. However, my growling stomache is impeeding my real appreciation for this work.

RollerJesus
08-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Oedo, I wanted to test the chrome material I used on my grater on some other shiny metal stuff. I could never have pulled that corkscrew off in an hour though...

I just popped it into my scene and copied my chrome setting over for this one. The glass material is Exception's preset off of presetcentral.com. :rock:

I'm having a blast with these!

geothefaust
08-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Nice work. That whole scene looks perfect. Nice addition, with the crackers. :)

Iain, I have been frequenting PresetCentral, I finally signed up for an account on there lasnight! Lots of great stuff.

Oedo 808, no worries. :D I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to texturing, I wont even try to pretend otherwise. But I guess that's why I'm entering these modeling contests instead of a texturing/lighting/rendering one, lol.

R.Feeney
08-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Seeing all the great work here made me want to try a 2nd one
Modeling- about 2 min :hey:

Nangleator
08-26-2008, 06:59 PM
RollerJesus, save that material to Preset Central and call it Hematite.

CMT
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
You b******!!

Just as I was going for an early night too!:)

Hehe! Thanks, man! I can make a whole meal from cheese & crackers.
:beerchug:

Oedo 808
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Crackers! Is that a forum themed piece of rendering? :p

RollerJesus, When I came on today it wasn't a certainty I was going to post my work, in fact when I started I wasn't even sure I'd get anything finished so to see what you've done with it has me going off to bed on quite a high. After the inital concerns I am very happy I decided to post my effort.

Geo, it will be interesting to see what progress you make, don't forget to tell us how you do all those great renders that are to come.

R.Feeney, nice work for a couple of minutes, perhaps we should hold a 30sec contest for you? And now I'm glad I didn't joke about my non-functional design being an Irish corkscrew, though the proximity to my mother at the time might have had something to do with it. :D

geothefaust
08-26-2008, 11:33 PM
So, I don't know if what I did meets the requirements for the contest, but... I thought it was close enough.

I have modeled a Les Feuilles style Absinthe spoon, with a glass of Absinthe. Having left out the sugar cube, I decided to put the spoon off the to side, as if perhaps it has already been used.

Just under 50 minutes for all items in the scene. I actually had to start over on the spoon a number of times, because I kept getting some weird errors with my geometry that just would have taken much too long to fix. This one was under the 60 minute mark. :)

Anyway, here it is. With accompanying wireframes as well.

voriax
08-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Barely scraped through on this one I think... didn't have time for a better render or nicer surfacing.

Was trying to figure out what to model, it seemed like we had everything except the ..... well, you get the idea.

Modelling time, a smidgin over 60 mins.

Iain
08-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Great model Voriax!

Is the tap really that chunky? It's a big 'un.

Iain
08-27-2008, 02:56 AM
I just popped it into my scene and copied my chrome setting over for this one. The glass material is Exception's preset off of presetcentral.com. :rock:

I'm having a blast with these!

Great render! The corkscrew looks so much better under some light.

Only thing is, it looks like you're about to pour wine into a beaker and sprinkle some cheese on top.
Student life, eh?

flakester
08-27-2008, 03:29 AM
~looks like you're about to pour wine into a beaker and sprinkle some cheese on top.
Student life, eh?

Lmao! We've all been there haven't we!?

No? Ok, just me then. :p

COBRASoft
08-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Hey all,

This is really fun. Great models in a very short time. I made a second one, took me less than 5 minutes to model and surface :)

It is a tool to put under hot pots or pans on your dining table to protect the table from the heat. They come in many shapes and materials. Mine are like this one.

Greetings,
Sigurd

Nangleator
08-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Nice trivet.

RollerJesus
08-27-2008, 07:21 AM
RollerJesus, When I came on today it wasn't a certainty I was going to post my work, in fact when I started I wasn't even sure I'd get anything finished so to see what you've done with it has me going off to bed on quite a high. After the inital concerns I am very happy I decided to post my effort.

Well, like I said, I only slapped on a texture that I had been working on and fired up FPrime. I've really enjoyed this contest because it's shown quite often that a simple model can really return great results in a short period of time. As for the corkscrew, I'd be quite proud of completing that model in 60 minutes!

Great render! The corkscrew looks so much better under some light.

I agree, I saw all those nice metal curves of the corkscrew and couldn't resist...

Only thing is, it looks like you're about to pour wine into a beaker and sprinkle some cheese on top.
Student life, eh?

Oh how I long for student life again... Except, if it was a render of my student life there would definitely not be wine and cheese involved, more like Coors Light and Doritos. :thumbsup:

voriax
08-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Great model Voriax!

Is the tap really that chunky? It's a big 'un.

Well, it's an amalgamation of a series of designs..... in other words I made it up ;)

I would have liked to change a couple of things, one of which being the chunkiness of the tap, but ran out of time. Modeling time limit was up, and its about 2 hours render time for the large frame.. thought I might miss the deadline if I took too long.. hehe.

colkai
08-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I started summat at lunch, not sure if I'll get chance to finish it before end of day, hope to. It is my "essential" kitchen extra. :)
Alas, one must get back to working for paying bills. :( How very inconvenient! :p

R.Feeney
08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
R.Feeney, nice work for a couple of minutes, perhaps we should hold a 30sec contest for you? And now I'm glad I didn't joke about my non-functional design being an Irish corkscrew, though the proximity to my mother at the time might have had something to do with it. :D

Funnily enough I had made a corkscrew too, a slightly more manual version though. I used one like this when I worked in a bar and it has to be one of the worse corkscrews ever.

JeffrySG
08-27-2008, 10:28 AM
My intention was to do a few of these over the weekend since they are useful for work but I haven't had any time.

I'll throw in another knife though.

That knife/render looks very cool! I think I registered for a few of those knives for my wedding but we didn't get any... always thought they looked cool though!

JeffrySG
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
holy crap... I missed this thread for a few days and there are like 10 new kick a** models! Really great work, and it's nice to see so many models here!

Really love them all!

CMT
08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Feeney, Cobrasoft, Voriax... great stuff!

I had a bit of time to do a can opener today. This took just about the full hour.

art
08-27-2008, 02:00 PM
CMT, I have one just like that at home :)

Iain
08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, we're into the last hour.

Chris, are you ready with a new challenge?:hey:
If not, I can get one going tomorrow. Not much time just now.

Well done on all the great entries this week :thumbsup:

CMT
08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I was thinking maybe medieval weapons? Maces, Swords, Staves, Hammers, Crossbows, Ballista, Catapults, etc... I think that would be kinda fun to do.

Nangleator
08-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Trebuchets... Mmm....

Iain
08-27-2008, 02:58 PM
I was thinking maybe medieval weapons? Maces, Swords, Staves, Hammers, Crossbows, Ballista, Catapults, etc... I think that would be kinda fun to do.

Oooh that would take me well out of my comfort zone-I like it!

CMT
08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
We could have a whole armory by the time it's done. :)

RollerJesus
08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm so in!

Iain
08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
I'll post the rest tomorrow but here's my caraffe model:

Hopper
08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Well ... It looks like I'm going to have to miss this one. I thought I'd be home early to do mine, but too little too late. I got about 80% done and realized I was over 60 minutes and too late for the entry. But dammit, I'm going to finish anyway - as soon as I get a little nudge from Surrealist. I have some irregular curves that got me stuck and aggravated, then time ran out.

It "was" going to be a Braun hand mixer. A lot tougher than I had thought, but then again .. it "is" a challenge right. The holes in the bottom part were a real trick (they're slightly angled) and I took the advice of others and created it to exact scale for texturing but never made it that far.

I decided to make it a little more difficult and use SubD's. Oops... I should have stuck with old school polygonal - I would have finished.

Note: the last pic shows where I got stuck - the form fitting hand grip. You can see the wrong direction I'm going in... :)

JeffrySG
08-27-2008, 05:43 PM
^love how that was shaping up! the wires are looking really nice! You should def. finish up this model though!

And yes... the weapons challenge would be a fun one!

Hopper
08-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmmm I'll tell you what... if I run into the same problem I had this time... you make the catapults and I'll make the ammo! :D

TripD
08-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Well ... It looks like I'm going to have to miss this one. I thought I'd be home early to do mine, but too little too late. I got about 80% done and realized I was over 60 minutes and too late for the entry. But dammit, I'm going to finish anyway - as soon as I get a little nudge from Surrealist. I have some irregular curves that got me stuck and aggravated, then time ran out.

It "was" going to be a Braun hand mixer. A lot tougher than I had thought, but then again .. it "is" a challenge right. The holes in the bottom part were a real trick (they're slightly angled) and I took the advice of others and created it to exact scale for texturing but never made it that far.

I decided to make it a little more difficult and use SubD's. Oops... I should have stuck with old school polygonal - I would have finished.

Note: the last pic shows where I got stuck - the form fitting hand grip. You can see the wrong direction I'm going in... :)

I would just roll that project over to next weeks's Medieval Weapon challenge! :thumbsup: Really does kind of look like it would womp a skull or two!

TripD
08-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Well... thought I'd see it I can get the lead out. I stopped just after an hour. Here's what I managed in that time.

Oedo 808
08-28-2008, 12:20 AM
No way man! I was going to try for a morning star!

Well it looks great, I've no idea how I'd have gone about it. Be great to see it rendered. :thumbsup:

meshpig
08-28-2008, 12:37 AM
OK, so it's medieval weapons now? S**t, I'll have to crank out Diablo II.

Nice.

m

Iain
08-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Well... thought I'd see it I can get the lead out. I stopped just after an hour. Here's what I managed in that time.

Hang on! We'll get the new thread running shortly :)

Iain
08-28-2008, 02:49 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=741569#post741569

No 3!!!
Thanks to CMT for the theme.

flakester
08-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Well done all for the entries - the quality of submissions is making me realise that I need to raise my game in a few areas!

See you all on the pages of No3! ;)

flakester.

Iain
09-03-2008, 04:22 AM
With a serious lack of free time and the fast approach of the deadline for Week 3, I thought I'd just judge this one quickly.

I think Voriax's sink and Oedo 808's corkscrew were the best 2 entries out of a very good bunch of models.
I'm not just saying it but the standard was very high throughout and there were probably about ten entries that were in the same league as the two I've mentioned.

I'm unsure about Newtek offering any more prizes so it may be more of an unofficial thing from now on. They may have thought Week 1 was a one off.
I'll ask again.

Anyway, if you're up for it Voriax, you can nominate a new topic. :thumbsup:

Hopefully CMT can decide on the best of Week 3 after the deadline.

RollerJesus
09-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Congrats Voriax!

flakester
09-03-2008, 07:18 AM
:agree: Congrats to Voriax! :thumbsup:

And a big "Well done!" to all who submitted. Some ace work here.

Any legs on the idea of zipping up all of the scenes and models [that people are ok to hand over] from each week, for distribution among the community?

flakester.

Nangleator
09-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Great work, congrats, Voriax!

RollerJesus
09-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Any legs on the idea of zipping up all of the scenes and models [that people are ok to hand over] from each week, for distribution among the community?

I was planning on posting my model and scene when I get home tonight anyways. Do what you will with my cheese grater!

CMT
09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
With a serious lack of free time and the fast approach of the deadline for Week 3, I thought I'd just judge this one quickly.

I think Voriax's sink and Oedo 808's corkscrew were the best 2 entries out of a very good bunch of models.
I'm not just saying it but the standard was very high throughout and there were probably about ten entries that were in the same league as the two I've mentioned.

I'm unsure about Newtek offering any more prizes so it may be more of an unofficial thing from now on. They may have thought Week 1 was a one off.
I'll ask again.

Anyway, if you're up for it Voriax, you can nominate a new topic. :thumbsup:

Hopefully CMT can decide on the best of Week 3 after the deadline.

Yeah, Voriax definitely had it this time around with the sink. Well done!

I finally received my shirt BTW. Looks cool! Thanks, Newtek and judges from week one! I would really hope Newtek would have realized it was an every week challenge since it was in the rules you posted in the same thread they offered the prize. It would be a shame to not continue with that.

For deciding week 3 winner, sure. I can do it. Maybe it should be a responsibility that gets passed on to the next winner as well as deciding the topic for the next challenge?

Iain
09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
For deciding week 3 winner, sure. I can do it. Maybe it should be a responsibility that gets passed on to the next winner as well as deciding the topic for the next challenge?

Cool!
Medieval weapons was a big hit:)

Yes if Voriax chooses the next topic, he can pick the winner and so on.

geothefaust
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Congrats Voriax, and Oede for a close second! It's nice to see this kind of involvement from everyone. :)

cagey5
09-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Well as I'm never going to win one of these, can I suggest a topic of 'bridges' I think we'd get to see plenty of variety with that one.

Nangleator
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Cool suggestion, cagey5. It would be a beast to finish one in an hour, though. Rail Extrude, Rail Clone and other such tricks would be necessary. LWCAD users would probably have an advantage.

RollerJesus
09-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I botched up my scene using my lighting rig for another and accidentally hitting save objects, so the surface is from my toy catapult render. Lightbitch used for the lighting, and Fprime for the render.

Looking forward to another contest.

Hopper
09-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Cool suggestion, cagey5. It would be a beast to finish one in an hour, though. Rail Extrude, Rail Clone and other such tricks would be necessary. LWCAD users would probably have an advantage.

I concur. Bridge models can be very simple to complex and gives a nice range for beginner modeler to .. well... the rest of you guys .. :D

Nangleator
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I once crossed a river on a "bridge" that was just two cables. One directly over the other. Feet on the lower one, hands on the upper one, and you inch sideways. Fun!

Won't model that one, though. Too easy.

Oedo 808
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Nooooo! I lost :thumbsdow I don't care that I didn't come first, but there goes my choice of boobies for the next challenge :D

Congratulations Voriax, it is a well deserved victory, I am honoured just to have had a mention in a contest of such high quality. No doubt this is down to the render RollerJesus did, modelling contest or no, so thanks for that.

What's really going to suck if we have a contest on bridges is that I have LWCAD, but I'm running Windows Maximum Excellence so I can't use it :eek: (yes this will be changing very, very soon).

Butt as I always say (especially after a few beers):

*Don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the moonlight, don't blame it on the good times, blame it on the boobies.*:dance:

voriax
09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Wow, cool.. thanks everyone :D Sounds like it was a pretty close contest..
Haven't been on the forums for a few days, nice to come back and found out I won something.. :P