PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the 9.5 OSX Beta?

rsfd
08-20-2008, 03:34 AM
Hello to everyone!
I am registrated LW 9.x user and since I upgraded to 9.3.1 LW became completely useless for me because of its instability and lack of responsiveness while working on larger geometries (1mio+ / MacPro 8core nvidia 8800).
I first thougt it's the nvidia driver but modo works much faster.

So… where can I download the 9.5 OSX Beta?
In my Newtek Account I only find the Windows 9.5 version - teksupport did not answer my mail.

Did I miss something?

Any help welcome. Thank you!

3dworks
08-20-2008, 03:52 AM
you need first to register for open beta. to do so, go to your registration account at http://register.newtek.com/ log in and in the 'my home' area, select the correspondent 'open beta 9.5' popup under 'product registration'. then you should get mail from NT sooner or a bit later... ;) you will get access to special open beta forums after a few days as well.

hope that helps?

markus

rsfd
08-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Thank you Markus,

I registrated via Newtek Europe. When I log in into my account and 'my homepage', I unfortunately do not have the 'open beta' popup, so it seems I should have registrated via the Newtek U.S. site a year ago.

Thank you for your help, Markus.

rsfd
08-20-2008, 04:16 AM
ok… just received an answer from Newtek support.
The Registration Link to the open beta is just between two ad banners on 'my homepage' - I just did not see it.

3dworks
08-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Thank you Markus,

I registrated via Newtek Europe. When I log in into my account and 'my homepage', I unfortunately do not have the 'open beta' popup, so it seems I should have registrated via the Newtek U.S. site a year ago.

Thank you for your help, Markus.

ah ok, i thought all LW users are going through that central site already. maybe time to update this for newtek europe? if you click onto their 'register LW9' link, you will be redirected to the register.newtek.com site, but maybe they didn't move your data there yet?

markus

3dworks
08-20-2008, 04:19 AM
ok… just received an answer from Newtek support.
The Registration Link to the open beta is just between two ad banners on 'my homepage' - I just did not see it.

:foreheads

:D

markus

rsfd
08-20-2008, 05:36 AM
well… :agree:

Village Peasant
08-26-2008, 01:11 AM
This registration hoo haa is ridiculous. What is it for? Why do people with Macs must register for Lightwave 9.5, but people for Windows do not need to. What is it for? What does this registration achieve?

I ask Newtek to take the registration away now.

Chilton
08-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi,

The reason you have to register for the Open Beta program is that occasionally things get put in the Open Beta version that are not available in the full version. And the discussions with our users in the Open Beta program sometimes include thoughts about the future, which we're not discussing in the main forums.

The only reason the PC folk don't have to register for 9.5 is that for them, 9.5 is finished. On the Mac side, we have some entirely Macintosh related bugs that are not really related to LightWave directly, that we're still ironing out.

-Chilton

Village Peasant
08-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi,

The reason you have to register for the Open Beta program is that occasionally things get put in the Open Beta version that are not available in the full version. And the discussions with our users in the Open Beta program sometimes include thoughts about the future, which we're not discussing in the main forums.

The only reason the PC folk don't have to register for 9.5 is that for them, 9.5 is finished. On the Mac side, we have some entirely Macintosh related bugs that are not really related to LightWave directly, that we're still ironing out.

-Chilton
Hello Chilton. I think this is a good time for Newtek to reconsider the registration for Mac users. Now that 9.5 release for Windows, the situations is changed from before.

There are 2 different things, a beta software and a beta program. You can go to Google and its beta software, but you don't need to join a beta program or sign a secret deal. Beta just means you receive software that we tell you it has a few bugs.

You can do the same with Lightwave. Release the beta software for those who paid for it, without registration. Then you can also have a beta program with forum to discuss secrets for those who need to discuss the future. Most people just want to use the software, and don't want to discuss future products.

What future secrets can there be in LW9.5 Mac anyways? I thought the only difference is Mac specific bugs, and apart from those everything is same as Windows. The 9.5 feature list is frozen.

So please ask your boss to change his mind about registration, now that Windows 9.5 is out. Let the people get the software, tell them it is beta so has a few bugs, let the secret forum be optional extra.

Chilton
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
There are 2 different things, a beta software and a beta program. You can go to Google and its beta software, but you don't need to join a beta program or sign a secret deal. Beta just means you receive software that we tell you it has a few bugs.

The difference between Google's beta software and ours is what they use it for. Our users require a certain degree of absolute stability in the product, or they could lose money very quickly. I'm not trying to slight Google here, I just can't think of a single Google tool I've paid for, or that I rely so heavily on that I can't do without. LightWave is like that for a lot of our users.

You can do the same with Lightwave. Release the beta software for those who paid for it, without registration.

How would we do that? The registration system is how we keep track of who paid for it. If you've paid for 9.x, you get the beta version.

This isn't a permanent, ongoing beta. As soon as we wrap up the final bugs in the Mac version, it's shipping, right alongside the PC version.

Then you can also have a beta program with forum to discuss secrets for those who need to discuss the future. Most people just want to use the software, and don't want to discuss future products.

There's nothing preventing you from doing this now. I'd be amazed if half of our 9.5 Open Beta users participate in the forums.

What future secrets can there be in LW9.5 Mac anyways? I thought the only difference is Mac specific bugs, and apart from those everything is same as Windows. The 9.5 feature list is frozen.

Well, that's something you'd find out in the Open Beta.

A port of any software product to the Mac without adopting Mac software design conventions, is (almost by definition) dead.

-Chilton