PDA

View Full Version : Plug it in Plug it in! - Question for 64bit Vista users

MiniFireDragon
08-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok, who has done it and how much have you plugged in? USB memory sticks of course! I see you can add USB sticks and let Windows Manage them turning them into System memory. How much have you stuck in and how well does it help lightwave??

meatycheesyboy
08-18-2008, 11:29 PM
What you're talking about is ReadyBoost. It works in all variants of Vista, 64 bit and 32 bit. It only has an impact if you don't have much RAM. If you've got over 1GB of RAM then ReadyBoost offers almost no performance increase from what I've read.

MiniFireDragon
08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
It's not the performance boost but the memory space allocated for extremely large scenes where someone might hit the top of there system memory. Lets say you got a new PC, only have 2gbs of ram but u have several usb drives lying around. And I asked more about 64bit because of the memory caps of 32 bit.

MiniFireDragon
08-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Probably... but no one here as even attempted to check it out? As soon as I can land my hands on a copy, I have over 48gbs worth of memory sticks I am going to cram into the system just to see.

Lightwolf
08-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Probably... but no one here as even attempted to check it out?
I've read a few articles on the subject... and in all cases you're better of with more RAM, if you have more than 2GB then there is no difference anyhow.

Cheers,
Mike

Titus
08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
You need fast certified USB sticks, otherwise the system will behave strange.

ctuller
08-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Probably... but no one here as even attempted to check it out? As soon as I can land my hands on a copy, I have over 48gbs worth of memory sticks I am going to cram into the system just to see.

I have and it's not worth it. It only has an impact if you have less than 1gb system ram, and even then it's marginal.
Go buy more ram and save the flash drives for moving you files back home from work.

MiniFireDragon
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM
I was thinking more on the lines of emergency memory for a large rendering project, not every day use.

meatycheesyboy
08-20-2008, 09:31 AM

4 GBs is the max amount that can be used for ReadyBoost and as Titus said, not any USB stick can be used, they have to be ReadyBoost certified. If they aren't, I don't think strange things will happen as he suggested, it just won't give you the option to use them with ReadyBoost.

But, if you've got a bunch of USB sticks laying about, by all means, test it out and report back your findings, just don't expect a miracle.

Lightwolf
08-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I was thinking more on the lines of emergency memory for a large rendering project, not every day use.
It won't be directly used as memory though. It may be used to speed up access to the HD, as a medium speed cache, but that's about it.

Cheers,
Mike

MiniFireDragon
08-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes, I see that now. The information I received from a techhead was obviously not entirely correct. Oh well!