PDA

View Full Version : Isn't that the Front View?

bbeltman
08-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Something I've always wondered about the LW interface...

Why is the front view called "Back"? I consider myself a pretty logical dude, but I can't figure this one out. Anybody else wonder about this?

--ben

Lightwolf
08-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Yup... do an align to path of an item in Layout and you'll see why :)

LW interprets items that move into the screen as moving forward, as opposed to items that move out of the screen (which is what you'd expect for a front view that faces you).

It is logical - but confusing :)

Cheers,
Mike

rakker16mm
08-18-2008, 06:03 PM
:agree: And anyone who ever wanted to know what it feels like to be dyslexic can now get a pretty good approximation... :thumbsup: :D

Matt
08-18-2008, 06:22 PM
This +Z into the screen has always bugged me, but I'm used to it now.

rakker16mm
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Once you accept that everything is counterintuitive and start doing the thing that makes the least sense the better off you will be.

danielkaiser
08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Make since to me and I'm left handed and lysdexic.

Scazzino
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Something I've always wondered about the LW interface...

Why is the front view called "Back"? I consider myself a pretty logical dude, but I can't figure this one out. Anybody else wonder about this?

--ben

Yup... it's always been backwards... there's a tortured explanation... but the original developers finally gave in and switched it when they developed modo... maybe someday we can get LW to switch that too... ;)

JeffrySG
08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
yeah, I still struggle with this at times in LW. Especially once I start placing reference images in the backgrounds in modeler.

I've been trying to be better about actually having the front of an object facing towards front.

Hopper
08-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Once you accept that everything is counterintuitive and start doing the thing that makes the least sense the better off you will be.
And this is how I learned to texture better. Don't use common sense... use the force.. it's easier.

shrox
08-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Make since to me and I'm left handed and lysdexic.

I left earlier and am psychic.

Andyjaggy
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
yeah, I still struggle with this at times in LW. Especially once I start placing reference images in the backgrounds in modeler.

I've been trying to be better about actually having the front of an object facing towards front.

Oh good it's not just me. I always have a heck of a time getting the viewport and bg images set up. I thought I was just dumb.

JeffrySG
08-28-2008, 01:23 AM
I thought I was just dumb.
It's nice to know we're not alone! lol