PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP! Serious Mac issues!

aloysius1001
02-23-2003, 08:43 PM
OK, Having BIG problems! I render an object and when I go to save the output image, I get the spinning color-wheel and it never goes away. I also start hearing a double beep. This double beep is not an alert sound coming through the speaker it comes from inside the box it sounds like a digital blip from an 80's video game. When this all happens I can't even force LW to quit I have to turn off the power and do a hard shut-down. Now I restart, and I get the flashing folder icon w/an alternating image of the Mac face and then a question mark. I read in the Mac knowledge base that this beep may indicate bad RAM, but it checks out OK in the hardware test. I've even removed the RAM 1 stick at a time and the problem pursists. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is my hard drive but I'm not really sure how to tell for sure. Disk First Aid doesn't detect any problems, but would it if it was not a filing issue and it was just mechanics wearing out. .....................OK, this does not appear to be a LW issue, I just had to re-enter this post because when I went to submit it my Mac just did the same thing it has been doing in LW. LW was not even running at the time. If there is ANYONE out there who might be able to help please let me know this is driving me CRAZY!

jdavidbakr
02-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Those internal beeps are not a good sign... did you try reseating the ribbon cables to the hard drive (both to the drive itself and on the motherboard)? We have a computer that does that occasionally and that seems to help it along.

ingo
02-24-2003, 06:41 AM
That sounds definitly like a harddisk problem and as suggested look for the cables first. Otherwise could it be that the HD is nearly full, because Lightwaves crappy memory management it uses huge amounts of RAM while rendering, that means also a lot of virtual memory. It could be that there is a large VM file invisible on your HD.
Last week my HD crashed with FormZ under OS 9, and when we recovered it by connecting it to another Mac we found an invisible 1,1 GB undo file from FormZ.

paintboy
02-24-2003, 08:48 AM
tons of info on macintouch.com and mac fixit.com and apple boards
about "double beep" drive failures. most are maxtor drives,
theres is even a replacement program if the drive falls within a certain
ser#range....good luck.
hope your backed up.

serpicolugnut
02-24-2003, 10:23 AM
...you need to specify:

What version of the Mac OS you are running...

What hardware config you have...

What version of LW are you running...

How much RAM (and whether it's Apple RAM or 3rd party RAM) you have...

Any additional system hacks/enhancements you might have installed...

Thanks...

aloysius1001
02-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Power Mac G4 733
1.25 GB RAM=256 stock 1GB PNY
60GB Maxtor HD(I wouldn't be surprised if the name Maxtor was the problem)
OSX.1.3(might be 1.5 not too sure)
runnung LW v7.5
GeForce 2MX(I know time to upgrade here)

aloysius1001
02-24-2003, 08:18 PM
OK, I got home last night and checked my cables, evrything seemed to be in order. I checked the connections they all felt tight. Strangely, the problem has apparently stopped, I'm not entirely convinced it eill stay that way though. I guess I'll just sit tight and see if this happens again. Mabey my ribbon cable has a short and wiggeling it around fixed the connection. If it happens again I'll try a new cable. I'd just like to thank everyone for all there help w/this problem, and say I hope that I will never have to return the favor (meaning I hope you never have any problems of your own).

Thanks,
Aloysius1001