PDA

View Full Version : license key not being written

Anti-Distinctly
08-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Installed 9.5, been with the beta all along and everything has been fine regarding keys. Now since I've installed 9.5 I cannot get either the registration utility to write a key, or the tool in Layout to write a key.
Even if I manually create the license.key file, it still gives the usual 'your license key was not found...'.
I've only got one key available to me for lightwave in the newtek registration system as I know there was some problem with people regarding 32/64 bit keys. This, I don't think has anything to do with my problem due to none of the tools actually writing the keys in the first place.

Any ideas?

Giacomo99
08-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Shot in the dark: If you're on a Mac, there seem to be some issues with LW not recogninzing key files in .rtf format--make sure your key is saved as plain text (.txt).

Anti-Distinctly
08-17-2008, 08:43 AM
This particular problem is not on the mac. I tried just using the txt extension anyway, but it didn't work. I'm wondering if it's a UAC problem...

Hopper
08-17-2008, 09:30 AM
This particular problem is not on the mac. I tried just using the txt extension anyway, but it didn't work. I'm wondering if it's a UAC problem...
Unlikely, since you can already write the file. What are you using to edit your license key file.

Suggestion:

1. Delete the file
2. Open up Notepad (not Wordpad)
3. Type in your license key and press Enter once
4. File->Save As...
5. save as license.key (and make sure it's in the "Programs" folder of your LW installation.

See how that goes.
- Also make sure your Sentinel driver is working and Windows sees the dongle.
- And make sure you're not trying to mix 32bit and 64bit keys.

Anti-Distinctly
08-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Already tried manually creating the file and it doesn't work I'm afraid :(
The sentinel drivers are working ok - it tells me what my lock ID is when I start up.
I'm...very confused...

KScott
08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I am having the same problem, old key file wont work in 9.5.

Kevin.

Hopper
08-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Hmmm. That does sound like a genuine issue. I copied my 9.3.1 key file directly into the folder and everything worked fine.

Which previous versions key are you using? 9.x ?
Are you matching versions as far as platform goes? 32bit -> 32bit? or 64bit -> 64bit?

If so, it may be necessary to make a support call.

Someone had mentioned earlier about previous beta versions that were "uninstalled" giving them issues with this. They has performed an uninstall, then completely removed the previous directories, then re-installed with no more problem.

those are the only things I can think of other than the key file getting saved in a wierd format.

Anti-Distinctly
08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
I've only got a single beta key, which I was using until now, and a single permanent key. I knew there was some confusion concerning 32/64 bit keys but it's not specified in the registration system. Ive never had any trouble like this before.
I did just uninstall a beta before installing 9.5 and I've since reinstalled LW twice, removing directories completely, but to no avail. I'll have another bash tomorrow - the help is much appreciated though Hopper, thank you.

Smokie
08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I had this problem with installing 9.3. What I did to fix it was
- did a complete unistall
- did a registry clean up (which removed left over LW registries)
- installed 9.3 (from CD)
at this point LW wouldnt create the key file...
- Manually create a license.key file (r-click desktop, click `New Text Document`)
- Rename the file to license.key (make sure spelling is right, not capitalization)
- Open the document and enter your key (in the form of xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx with the dashes) then save the file
- Cut the file from desktop and paste it in your LW programs folder

And I believe there ISNT a seperate key for 9.5 you use the same key as the newtek registration wont give you the option for a 9.5 key.

BigHache
08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
I've only got a single beta key, which I was using until now, and a single permanent key. I knew there was some confusion concerning 32/64 bit keys but it's not specified in the registration system.

The registration page should show your registered keys for "Windows", and "Windows x64" (if you've registered a 64-bit key). I was able to use my keys for 32/64 bits of 9.x to successfully install both versions of 9.5.

Surrealist.
08-17-2008, 08:17 PM
How are you manually creating it?

When you rename sometimes it can make a license.txt.key if you first create it from a text editor and then save it and rename it.

If you are now using a 64 bit version you have to register it for a new key.

Sorry- are you on a mac or PC?

BeeVee
08-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey Luke,

It is a UAC problem. Vista won't let you write directly to the LightWave\Programs folder. Turn UAC off for registering your LightWave, you can always turn it back on afterwards if you want.

B

Anti-Distinctly
08-18-2008, 02:38 AM
Right, I've uninstalled 9.3.1 and 9.5, performed a registry cleanup adn turned off UAC. The key is being written now, but as before LW is still saying that it cannot find the license.key file...

adk
08-19-2008, 08:08 AM
I have a similar issue ...

Two sets of Beta Phase keys - latest works but will expire in days.
The only permanent LW9 key gives me the same error as you mentioned. Confused as all heck here ???

Tried both in Vista and XP and get the same error so it does not appear to be an OS issue.

cagey5
08-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Silly question but have you checked you are using the most up to date license key. I got mine out of sync at one stage and went round and round in circles until I cut and pasted from the registration page direct into notepad and saved.

Anti-Distinctly
08-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I only have a single permanent key and a single beta key.
I'm definitely using the most up to date key, as I have only one to choose from.
The problem persists and I'm now out of ideas...

fyrissian
08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Anti, have you switched from running the 32-bit to 64-bit version? If so, you'll need to re-register (using your original serial number) for the 64-bit key.

I had exactly the same problem, on my 64-bit laptop, until I registered for 64-bit Windows.

Hope that helps.

adk
08-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Ahhhh ... I'm all sorted :) could not see the forest for the trees.
MY dumb ar$e mistake was using the wrong installer (I totally mixed up my OB with the 9.5 final) ... I blame NT for delivering way too many OB's :D:D:D

Almost to embarrassing to own up to but what the heck ... :thumbsup:

Anti-Distinctly
08-21-2008, 05:31 AM
Anti, have you switched from running the 32-bit to 64-bit version? If so, you'll need to re-register (using your original serial number) for the 64-bit key.

I had exactly the same problem, on my 64-bit laptop, until I registered for 64-bit Windows.

Hope that helps.

Nope. To my knowledge I've always been using the 32 bit version...still stumped :/

Deux
08-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Same here... original license key isn't recognised, and the last beta key is only good for another 36 days :(

-: Deux :-

Kaptive
09-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Was there ever a solution to this, because i am having the exact same problem. I also had it with one of the beta versions that came out too, so had to revert to an earlier version.

This is work time, and I've really got stuff to do... a nightmare!

Cheers

Kris

Kaptive
09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Sorry.. totally ignore me.. I did exactly what someone had posted here earlier! I installed that very same beta version that screwed up on the license key. Proper version installed now! All works.

Cheers

Kris