PDA

View Full Version : Maya to LightWave

Larry_g1s
08-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Just looking to see if anyone new of a relatively easy way to get a Maya character rig in to LightWave for rendering. Particularly with the new 9.5 features

SplineGod
08-17-2008, 12:57 AM
mdd files or fbx

Cageman
08-17-2008, 04:32 AM
I have yet to test the new FBX functionality, but here is a trick that will work if nothing else will work with FBX.

1. Rig your character in LW (no controllers, just the bones). Make sure the bones have the sampe placement/proportions as your Maya-scene.
2. Transfer to Maya through FBX
3. In Maya, constrain each LW-bone to the corresponding joint
4. Select the LW-bones and bake the keys and export an FBX
5. Open the LW-scenefile containing the character and rig
6. Merge FBX

This is something we've been doing at work many times, but it was with the very old LW8.x FBX plugin. However, we ALWAYS started in LW, making the bones and testing deformations before moving it over to Maya. Hopefully you shouldn't have to do it this way anymore with the new FBX toolset.

About MDDs

You can use Maya2LW2 (free tool) to transfer from Maya to LW. You save out an MDD and the object itself and load into LW and apply the MDD. Alot easier if FBX is causing problems. Since the site is down, and Maya2LW2 is a free tool, I take the liberty to post it here so you can get it now to experiment with it. If you have further questions about Maya2LW2, I suggest you make contact with faulknermano (http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=133), who is the author of Maya2LW2.

I also suggest that you take a good look at PointOven. (http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO1.5/PointOven_15.html) Apart from working with other apps than just Maya and LightWave, it's very usefull for baking MDDS within a LightWave pipeline since it can bake several objects at the same time and also doesn't require alot of ram, since the MDDs are baked directly to disk. Those two features alone, make up for the $99 pricetag. Oh, and its avaliable for OSX as well. :)

Larry_g1s
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey, I appreciate the help. I'm having some issues. What I'm trying to do is from LW going to load scene, then locating the file after changing 'file type' to allow the fbx to show. Once I click on the fbx file it opens another window (wide thin window) that says 'fbx importer' and wants me to create the location directory for the .lwo. What's strange is I'm not consistently getting the 'Load from Scene' window like I think I should:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61882&d=1218971647

I've attached two images, one of what I get, and one of the Maya export window. I'm not sure what settings to use exporting out of Maya.

I've seen that PointOven, but I'm a little confused on how it works as far as lic. and pricing. It's $99, but do I only get the LW plug-in for that, and still have to buy one for Maya if I want to export back? If the machine that I have Maya on is a Mac, do I have to buy an OSX Mac lic. for $99, and a Win LW lic. for $99? I'm just not sure how it works.

I appreciate the Maya2LW [2], but I don't think it supports OSX, and the Maya app is on a mac.

Cageman
08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey, I appreciate the help. I'm having some issues. What I'm trying to do is from LW going to load scene, then locating the file after changing 'file type' to allow the fbx to show. Once I click on the fbx file it opens another window (wide thin window) that says 'fbx importer' and wants me to create the location directory for the .lwo. What's strange is I'm not consistently getting the 'Load from Scene' window like I think I should:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61882&d=1218971647

I've attached two images, one of what I get, and one of the Maya export window. I'm not sure what settings to use exporting out of Maya.

I've seen that PointOven, but I'm a little confused on how it works as far as lic. and pricing. It's $99, but do I only get the LW plug-in for that, and still have to buy one for Maya if I want to export back? If the machine that I have Maya on is a Mac, do I have to buy an OSX Mac lic. for $99, and a Win LW lic. for $99? I'm just not sure how it works.

I appreciate the Maya2LW [2], but I don't think it supports OSX, and the Maya app is on a mac.

Alot of questions! :)

If I can find some time at work today, I'll have some tests I can do with our resources at Massive; that is, LW9.5 and the new FBX functionality. :)

About PointOven....

One LIC is locked to a single machine, but works with ALL applications that PointOven supports. If you have Maya on the Mac, I suggest you get PointOven for Mac, because you'll be able to prepare the LW-scene on the Mac and then load it with your PC-version of LW. The best way to get hold of 100% correct information about this is to contact the developer of PointOven and explain your situation. I know that he said that new version of PointOven will not require a lic in order to read scenefiles wich contain PointOven readers, but I'm quite sure that the LW-readers already does this (can't really remember though). :)

One thing for sure is that renderfarms works with PointOven, which suggests that readers are in fact lic-free.