PDA

View Full Version : 16:9 DV Widescreen Out: Got a Solution?

Quiet1onTheSet
08-16-2008, 04:40 PM
It'd be awfully nice if someone came up with a way to get VT Edit VT[4] (particularly version 4.6) to output anamorphic 16x9 DV Widescreen NTSC (perhaps PAL too, but I won't need it).

It would be a lot less disheartening to produce DV archive tape masters from VT[4] that already fit the 16:9 screens that have dominated the marketplace. (Don't want to go back to 4:3 archiving if I don't have to).

If anyone's got a decent quality workaround that'll work today, do post the "How-to" here? Do know that some here like myself might well be willing to pay for a decent, yet cost-effective plug-in remedy, if it arrived soon.

Now, if only interlace and 4:3 would just die!

Q1
:hey:

SBowie
08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
It'd be awfully nice if someone came up with a way to get VT Edit VT[4] (particularly version 4.6) to output anamorphic 16x9 DV Widescreen NTSC (perhaps PAL too, but I won't need it).

It would be a lot less disheartening to produce DV archive tape masters from VT[4] that already fit the 16:9 screens that have dominated the marketplace.Let's try to avoid wording issues this time. Are you saying, Peter, that your VT[4] won't render a 16:9 DV file?

billmi
08-18-2008, 06:35 AM

Have you tried the following?

Select Render in VT-Edit, and choose AVI as your format, and DV NTSC as your Codec, then press the "C" (Configure") button next to the codec selection, and check the 16:9 box.

Quiet1onTheSet
08-18-2008, 07:37 AM

Select Render in VT-Edit, and choose AVI as your format, and DV NTSC as your Codec, then press the "C" (Configure") button next to the codec selection, and check the 16:9 box. Thanks Bill. When I return, I'll try it, but I must warn, that I need the render to properly deal with overlays and DVEs.

For that, I'm thinking I needed to render to RTV since it does alpha. If my hesitancy to use DV or AVI is baseless, given that info, do let me know?

Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
08-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Let's try to avoid wording issues this time. Are you saying, Peter, that your VT[4] won't render a 16:9 DV file?

Thanks, kind sir.
'Can't seem to be able to render from timeline, to a video file that does alpha, while also streaming a 16:9 widescreen (anamorphic) DV" signal to a Firewire Camcorder.

Will return later to try some options you folks come up with. Thanks!

Q1

SBowie
08-18-2008, 10:14 AM
'Can't seem to be able to render from timeline, to a video file that does alpha, while also streaming a 16:9 widescreen (anamorphic) DV" signal to a Firewire Camcorder.I see this a two different operations, whether performed simultaneously or not.

Export to a 16:9 DV-AVI file should work as Bill has described.

Transport via IEEE 1394 is a different matter, whether for viewing or re-recording to the camcorder. I don't think the DV signal provides any indication whether it should be dealt with as 16:9 or 4:3. For monitoring, I think the external device likely has to be manually configured for 16:9. For external file capture, I'm not sure whether pre-setting the external device to a 16:9 mode will have the same result or not.

Quiet1onTheSet
08-18-2008, 10:41 AM
I see this a two different operations, whether performed simultaneously or not.
[LIST]
Export to a 16:9 DV-AVI file should work as Bill has described. Hmmm. I don't think for VT[4] there's an "alpha enabled" option, unless I've overlooked something.

Transport via IEEE 1394 is a different matter, whether for viewing or re-recording to the camcorder. I don't think the DV signal provides any indication whether it should be dealt with as 16:9 or 4:3.[/quote]

Oh, OK. Well, if it doesn't, then I suppose that explains why we can't do so from SpeedEDIT standalone either.

Q1

billmi
08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Hmmm. I don't think for VT[4] there's an "alpha enabled" option, unless I've overlooked something.

I wouldn't expect one, since alpha is not supported by the DV file format. It's really designed for aquisition, as opposed to post and compositing.

SBowie
08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
What Bill said.

Quiet1onTheSet
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM

Select Render in VT-Edit, and choose AVI as your format, and DV NTSC as your Codec, then press the "C" (Configure") button next to the codec selection, and check the 16:9 box.

Good grief, Bill and Steve! Just found what Bill was referencing here. 16:9 file rendering from the timeline in VT[4] ver. 4.6, utilizing the DV NTSC codec, then clicking on that tiny little "C" button to configure for that wonderful 16:9 flag.

Doh!
[Music ramps up: "It's getting to feel a lot -- like -- Christ - mas..."]
Q1
:santa: