PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on the Discovery Channel

John Jordan
08-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Did anyone see the show "Sasquatch: Legend to Science" the other night? Some guy was using Lightwave to rig a skeleton that was to be matched up against some film footage of an alleged Sasquatch. This was done to study the gait of the creature on the film.
There was even a little talk about inverse and forward kinematics etc. The end result allowed researchers to rotate around the skeleton at any angle and to watch the walk from a variety of positions.

OlaHaldor
08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Nice.. Didn't see it, but it might depend on what continent we are in as well?..

There's been some hunting for the Sasquatch earlier, but I can't remember any use of LW thought.

Stooch
08-16-2008, 07:16 PM
did he use sasquatch for the hair sim too? that would be too appropriate.

rakker16mm
08-16-2008, 09:23 PM
That was the first thing that came to my mind as well :D

John Jordan
08-16-2008, 09:44 PM
did he use sasquatch for the hair sim too? that would be too appropriate.

No, I'm sorry to say. It was just the skeleton with some sort of transparent skin. They were more interested in seeing how the hip joint and knees functioned I guess. Still it was neat to see it used in an investigation (despite it's dubious subject matter).

It was kind of funny though because the artist was talking about IK and FK and I could hear the voices in TV land going "WTF is IK and FK? Is that a Bigfoot thing?"

safetyman
08-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Slightly OT, but it relates to Sasquatch...I'm sure you guys have heard about this already:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404805,00.html

Nangleator
08-18-2008, 07:09 AM
My first reaction to that link is, I'd hate to be paralleled. Then again, being perpendiculared would probably be much, much worse!

Mike Borjon
08-18-2008, 08:58 AM
The program you are referring to was first shown about two years ago, so I'm thinking LW 7.5 or 8.

I think it's on TV simply because of the renewed interest in Bigfoot due to the two guys who claim to have the body of a Bigfoot.