PDA

View Full Version : Texture Editor-> Image Map Questions

Jack Battiste
08-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Teach Me, O' Masters of LW Problems Big and Small...

1. I have a source bump map image that will give me some product branding detail I need to get wrapped onto the surface of my beer bottle. My problem (among other things) is that I can't seem to figure out how to skew it to fit the angle of the bottle surface. I know there must be a more elegant way of working this other than skewing it on the photoshop side then re-importing it.

2. One other newbie type question while I'm at it. When in the surface editor I sometimes drag left and right to input values. On occasion I will accidentally hit the "E" envelope button and the whole section greys out. I don't know how to back out of this alley other than to quit LW and start again.

I know my surfacing/rendering needs lots of work, but trying to get my branding details correct at this point.

Thanks!

- Jack

Giacomo99
08-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Hello-

1. I don't know what you mean by "skew." Please clarify.

2. Shift-click on the "E" will remove the envelope from a characteristic in the Surface Editor (or any other "E"s you might encounter.)

Jack Battiste
08-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks Giacomo -

Did you see the attached screen grabs? the scecond one shows the problem close up.

-Jack

Simon
08-16-2008, 03:11 PM
You're applying it as a planar projection but your bottle surface is not flat hence it looks wrong. It would be much better to change that to cylindrical and Y axis for the shape of your model.

Jack Battiste
08-16-2008, 03:48 PM
You're applying it as a planar projection but your bottle surface is not flat hence it looks wrong. It would be much better to change that to cylindrical and Y axis for the shape of your model.

Simon - Ya man that's it, cool. Big thanks.

I have the perspective correct now, but... can't seem to scale it on the x so that the whole phrase is visible. No matter what I scale on the X up or down, it does not change or move. Any Ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Again
-Jack

Simon
08-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Yeah that's a bit misleading that, you need to change the 'width wrap amount', it's 1 at the moment meaning your image goes all round the bottle, change it to 2 means it's tiled twice round so will look smaller.

Giacomo99
08-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Jack--if you're going to be doing this very much, you should acquire and study the book "Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing" by Leigh Van der Byl. It's available used for cheap (~$5) on Amazon.

Jack Battiste
08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Jack--if you're going to be doing this very much, you should acquire and study the book "Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing" by Leigh Van der Byl. It's available used for cheap (~$5) on Amazon.

Giacomo - Thanks fer the tip. I'm going to get that book, and the price is right.

Yeah that's a bit misleading that, you need to change the 'width wrap amount', it's 1 at the moment meaning your image goes all round the bottle, change it to 2 means it's tiled twice round so will look smaller.

Simon - Yep that does it. Thanks man.