PDA

View Full Version : SSS question

Mat
08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Before I start I must say that you have done a fantasic job with this release.
And I am totaly in love with 9.5:D, and couldn't be happyer with the new stuff.:D

As far as I know we are open to talk about lw9.5 if not please report or delete this thread.

Am I setting up these shaders right.

The skin is seperated into two surfaces, Skin Body, Skin Face.

RebelHill
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
as far as im aware, the sss shaders work on continuous, closed geometry... which means dont separate different areas into different surface names, and make sure your mesh is watertight (no gaps holes, completely sealed)

If im wrong about the single surface thing though, i would suggest you just have different settings somewhere on the two different surfaces.

also... make sure double sided is off.

Mat
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Bugger I turned off double sided and made sure there was no holes, same result.

I then made it a single surface and it works fine, I will need to make a single texture map though.

There is a way with nodes to combine 2 texture maps onto one surface, and I have done this, but I'm not quite sure how to put them togeter properly, if I use mixer and set it to aditive or?

If anyone knows how to properly combine two texture maps into one surface I would be verry gratefull.

I realy like the way this shader renders.

jameswillmott
08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
There is a way with nodes to combine 2 texture maps onto one surface, and I have done this, but I'm not quite sure how to put them togeter properly, if I use mixer and set it to aditive or?

Use the Mixer node, set to Normal, and drive the Opacity using a Weight Map to define your two surfaces. ( 0% weight = surface 1, 100% weight = surface 2 )

Mat
08-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Thankyou.

jameswillmott
I tryed your method but I was getting a graded black bar where the join was, I think it was doing this because the weight map was blending between 100% and 0%. Not shore.

I ended up using the surface baking camera, and baked the face uv setting the skin to 100 luminus white, and used that as a alpha for the mixer input.

now I have got it going I'm doing a few more test.

:bowdown:SSS:heart:

RebelHill
08-15-2008, 04:54 AM
the reason for the black bar is because u need to apply the weight to all vertexes of the surface... just selecting the face, setting weight 100% isnt enough... you also have to select all the other vertices (the body) and give them the same weight, but with a value of 0%... having a vertex without a weigtmap, and having that same vertex with a weight value of 0 are different.

Mat
08-15-2008, 06:08 AM
I played with the weights and settings and this is what I come up with.

Mat
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I tryed your method by puting the other texture map into the background layer and then put the weight map into the opacity layer, and it worked I'm not shore what I did differnt.