PDA

View Full Version : M2TS file formats

thartikka
08-14-2008, 06:44 PM
When I got SE I noticed encoding to an MPEG2 file gave an M2Tfile extension which I had to change to mpg to get our hardware encoders to play (public access TV system). I'm wondering why SE gives this file extension.

Also, we're trying Canon's HG10 which creates a high definition M2TS file which SE can't read. Yet I've noticed in the render panel that an M2TS file seems to exist. Does anyone have any info. on SE handling an M2TS file, ie can it, will it, "waz up?" It would be nice to edit an AVCHD file without having to transcode first.

Thanks,
Terry

mvansomeren
08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
.m2t (MPEG2 Transport Stream) is the format used for HDV typically. SE captures HDV in that format.

SE defaults to that format when you encode (render) mpg2 format. You can change it. Once you've selected MPEG2 as your render format, click on the "Customize" button. In the codec field you will see MPEG2 Transport Stream. Click the drop-down and then you can select MPEG2 Program Stream which is what you want.

.m2ts is the AVCHD transport stream which is currently not supported in SE. This is typicaly how HD is recorded on to HD cameras that use a Hard Drive for storage instead of tape.