PDA

View Full Version : A quickie rigging reel... thoughts/opinions?

RebelHill
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM
thanks in advance...:thumbsup:

www.rebelhill.net/show/csm_rigging.mov

dballesg
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Brilliant! :) Me likes! :)

David

Cageman
08-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Amazing!

Five stars from me! :)

virtualcomposer
08-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I think he broke a few teeth on that fall. LOL

adamredwoods
08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
That's a nice rig. Nice demo at the end, too.

EDIT: since you asked for opinions, I'd like to see a bendier spine and maybe some shoulder work.
The feet were the best.

RebelHill
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah... the spine could have used more bend... mainly I used to have a bone in that rig that held the proxy belly in place... but I took it out at some point, for some reason i cant remember... it WAS lovely and bendy with in in though...

so thanks fellas...

and @Cageman... no no... that multiple bones on a poly chain with dynaimcs and node item motion, and all of that jazz... THATS amazing.

Cageman
08-14-2008, 05:11 PM
and @Cageman... no no... that multiple bones on a poly chain with dynaimcs and node item motion, and all of that jazz... THATS amazing.

LOL :)

Thanks! But if it weren't for Dan I wouldn't be anywhere (he helped me by making a bunch of tools to automate the process). :)

But, thinking about it... yeah... I came up with the concept. ;)

btw... Dynamic Bonechains works even better with Joints since they can be in a true parent hierarcy and you'll never get bank rotation errors wich you get with a non-parent hiarchy. LW9.5 just makes alot of things much better I say! :)

But seriously... your rig is very neat. Especially the FK/IK blending and the automatic toe alignement thing... :)

How long time did you spend on making it (the rig that is)?

...and thanks for showing this! :)

RebelHill
08-14-2008, 05:35 PM
well Ive been character rigging since LW6... which back then was just ur simple standard IK setup, one goal per chain... no secondary referencing, etc... and as ive gone along ive either seen, or discovered new tricks.... so this current rig shown here is nothing more than the product of an ongoing process that goes back... christ... about 5 or 6 years now.

Main reason I wanted to crack this out for show was... well, i got a couple rigging gigs im bidding/demoing on... but also Ive meant to do myself a rigging reel for ages, and with all the new tricks in 9.5, its gonna be time for the next evolution, so its also kind of a "so long and thanks for all the fish" to the standard rigging practices Ive been using since 7.5

BTW.. IK/FK, I used to do it with twin rigs n master channels, but as is on show, its prebuilt into plgIK which i use.... but yeah... the automated toe... that gets everyone's attention (best not mention that once upon a time i screwed up rigging a foot, and discovered it by mistake)

geothefaust
08-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Excellent work!! I can only hope that one day I can rig as well as you.

jin choung
08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
dude! you motherfing rock!

that is a fantastic rig and quite a nice anim!

just so many nice features in the rig. must gush more but i'll do it later.

rock fing on.

jin

Talc
08-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Sweet:)

RebelHill
08-14-2008, 07:52 PM
jin choung[/B];735242]dude! you motherfing rock!

surely on these boards.... there can be no higher accolade than this....

thanks again one and all.:thumbsup:

colkai
08-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Gorramn Shiny! :)

AbnRanger
08-15-2008, 03:57 AM
surely on these boards.... there can be no higher accolade than this....

thanks again one and all.:thumbsup:Uh...thought you're not supposed to do rigs like that in LW. :D

3DGFXStudios
08-15-2008, 04:08 AM
That's one sick rig!:thumbsup: I'm waiting for a tutorial :D :hey:

The Dommo
08-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Cool rig indeed!!! So that was with the PLG plugins as well? We ahve downloaded them, need to find time to figure 'em out.

Well done to ya :D

adamredwoods
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
A word on PLG IK plugins:

Do people still need them? The new LW9.5 IK now supports multiple goals.... SO NICELY... you can almost animate a spline. You still need a few settings tweaked, but it works well.

Plus with the new YZGoal and Pole Vector... :)

RebelHill
08-15-2008, 02:15 PM
A word on PLG IK plugins:
Do people still need them? The new LW9.5 IK now supports multiple goals.... SO NICELY... you can almost animate a spline.

Absolutely... doesnt do anything for the gimbal issues though, plg still gives quaternion rots on the top bone.... also, the IK solving is still better in plg when u stretch the chain out to maximum reach... sure theres the new soft IK, but in my preliminary tests, its was just... well... too damn soft, leaving a choice between that, or the good old snapping/popping we know and hate.

Ztreem
08-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Nice rig, love the animation too. I remeber your demo reel from spinquad years ago and I liked it very much. Would be very fun and useful with a rig tutorial. :)

Boo!
08-16-2008, 08:31 AM
...GREAT rigging and animation
...i too agree with the rest, a video tutorial would VERY much appreciated:bowdown::thumbsup::D

RebelHill
08-16-2008, 08:55 AM
well....

to go through EVERYTHING... would fill a good few hours of video... theres a lot more going on than, "stick this here, stick this there, check this box, done", and of lot of it is fairly stndard rigging stuff thats been covered elsewhere a millions times in written tuts and vids that are floting round the interwebs....

so if theres any specific bits or areas of functionality on this rig demo that you guys would particularly like to see... mark em up, and ill throw something together for all y'all, no worries.

The Dommo
08-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Well, if you did a tut, all that info would be in one handy place, eh?!!

Tell ya what, make a DVD - we can distribute for you. :)

RebelHill
08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
or in the meantime...

www.rebelhill.net/bits/tstrigs.zip

reverse engineer to ur hearts content (*b versions for LW7.5-8.5, mains for 9+)

u will need to get plgIK and curve bone i fu dont have em already, btw

The Dommo
08-16-2008, 09:05 AM
lol - bleh.

I'll download in a while, i'm a bit busy formulating a certain reply right now

RebelHill
08-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Tell ya what, make a DVD

lol.... Ive been asked for this MANY times... and sure... if i ever get a break from; a-paying gigs, b-personal gigs, or c-drinking large amounts of coffee... ill happily comply.

dballesg
08-16-2008, 09:56 AM
or in the meantime...

www.rebelhill.net/bits/tstrigs.zip

reverse engineer to ur hearts content (*b versions for LW7.5-8.5, mains for 9+)

u will need to get plgIK and curve bone i fu dont have em already, btw

Thank you for those rigs Rebel.

How long you have been rigging in Lw?

David

adamredwoods
08-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Absolutely... doesnt do anything for the gimbal issues though, plg still gives quaternion rots on the top bone.... also, the IK solving is still better in plg when u stretch the chain out to maximum reach... sure theres the new soft IK, but in my preliminary tests, its was just... well... too damn soft, leaving a choice between that, or the good old snapping/popping we know and hate.

Sounds good, wasn't aware that PLG was using quats.

Not sure why LW haven't moved over to quats for their internal calculations. I understand the need for the UI to be in Euler, but if there's a hook between the UI and internal that converts everything to quats... I guess it's a lot of work.

RebelHill
08-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Not sure why LW haven't moved over to quats for their internal calculations.

Yeah, me neither..... I assume its got something to do with the way that the co-ordinate system itself works at its core... though im not atall sure how, cos if u use good old LW vanilla target to point a bone at a null... ooh look... no gimble... so LW obviously can and DOES handle quats somehow.

meh!

adamredwoods
08-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, me neither..... I assume its got something to do with the way that the co-ordinate system itself works at its core... though im not atall sure how, cos if u use good old LW vanilla target to point a bone at a null... ooh look... no gimble... so LW obviously can and DOES handle quats somehow.

meh!

If you take two bones, and pitch = 90 on the parent, target will show you it's weakness still. It's still "gimbling". At about 90 degrees on the child bone, the bone will "flip".

Piolla
08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Very nice rig. Congratulations!
One question: what kind of constraints did you use to keep the hand fixed to the hip?

Keep up the good work.

Kuzey
08-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow...that is out of this world :thumbsup:

Newtek should talk to you on how to make CA better in LW !!

Kuzey