PDA

View Full Version : what is and isn't included with 9.5?

biliousfrog
08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I thought that perhaps this is worth it's own thread rather than keep asking in other threads...

Is the documentation supposed to be included with 9.5?
I've got the shortcuts to the fiberfx, lightwave, modeler and shading manuals but they haven't been installed...even when choosing custom install and only selecting the documentation. I'm not alone it seems...is this an install problem or are they not finished yet?

Also, will there be a paper version of all the latest manuals available to buy like the v.9 manuals?

Are the UV unwrap and relax tools included?
I don't have the plugins listed in the interface and they don't appear to be installed so I can't add them. Someone has claimed that they are part of 9.5, others claim that they were dropped from the beta because they were buggy. They are in the "what's new" docs so...?

Skonk
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
The UV tools were removed and will not be back untill version 10 at the soonest. They wern't particularly buggy (infact a lot of people thought they were quite good) but there were complaints that they wern't as good as some of the free plugins (such as PLG) which are already availible.

The installer creates shortcuts for the documentation so I assume it should be there, but it isn't.

clagman
08-14-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't be the only person that ended up with these...can I? I definitely have both unwrap and relax (although I had to add relax manually). Used em already, love em. Never tried PLG.

Skonk
08-14-2008, 03:22 PM
If u'v been installing over the top of previous beta installations then the installers wont delete files that were already there. But the current installer doesn't contain them.

clagman
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Peculiar, I had the beta installed in a separate directory altogether to keep my testing seperate from live projects but they were both installed in a directory "Newtek". True enough I reinstalled it somewhere else and bang no UV tools. I wonder why they decided to loose them, I think they are nice (so far no problems).

Skonk
08-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Having never really used PLG I was quite fond of them too, but it seems all the guys who had used PLG were of the oppinion that "we dont want something thats not as good or better than PLG, which we can already get for free".

Newtek didn't feel they were good enough in terms of function and usability I guess so ditched it.

virtualcomposer
08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
What if you saved them in a different named folder and another harddrive? Can you put them in the 9.5 folder and keep the plugins? I am pretty sure that is possible.

Skonk
08-15-2008, 04:37 AM
If u have the plugin files they will still work fine, just stick em in the plugins folder and add them in lw.

danielkaiser
08-16-2008, 01:33 PM
"what is and isn't included with 9.5?"

Things that aren't.

Talent, Skill, Dedication.

Silkrooster
08-16-2008, 05:37 PM
I think you guys should keep in mind is when 9.5 installs it uses the config files that are already on your system. This is why it can find plugins that are not included. You have to choices you can either alter the command line of modeler and layout to point to a new folder for the config files. Or delete the old config files and let lightwave recreate the config files.
Which choice you make depends on whether you want to keep an older version of the 9 series on your system or not.
Silk

IMI
08-17-2008, 06:02 AM
I think you guys should keep in mind is when 9.5 installs it uses the config files that are already on your system. This is why it can find plugins that are not included. You have to choices you can either alter the command line of modeler and layout to point to a new folder for the config files. Or delete the old config files and let lightwave recreate the config files.
Which choice you make depends on whether you want to keep an older version of the 9 series on your system or not.
Silk

Yeah, what he said.
Not just 9.5, but all versions of LW act this way. I'm not sure how long you've been able to do the -c thing, though.
In XP, the config files will be in Documents and Settings, in Vista they'll be in the users folder. 32 bit and 64 bit LW use different configs, and the 64 bit versions have "-64" appended to the cfg file names.
But every version of LW you have in either 32 or 64 bit will look to those configs, which can *really* screw you up if you have multiple installations in multiple folders. You may have been using an old version of LW 9.2 but now use 9.3.1 exclusively and figure it's safe to delete the old folder... but your configs may have pointed to plugins in that folder, and your 9.3.1 installation may very well be looking there for them, in which case they won't load.
The best thing to do when making a new LW installation is to make sure you're telling it exactly where you want your configs stored, and to keep that in the install folder itself, like they say to do.
Fortunately, being text files, they can be manually edited, if need be and as a worst case scenario, can be deleted and rebuilt - although then you lose everything, including all custom menus, if you haven't manually saved any out somewhere.

it would be nice if they were to take a page from the modo playbook and allow us to save out and load entire configs, but this is the next best thing.

masterchief
08-17-2008, 06:45 AM
right-click on entry in menu entry while in edit mode..
import/export option for creating menu structures

you can save out menu configs... I do it all the time.
load/save option of menu edit popup

I use same concept for maintaining keyboard shortcut files

regards,
William

IMI
08-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks William.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I save out my menus for Layout and Modeler all the time, too.
But I meant to be able to save out and load entire configs, which includes paths to the plugins, for one, but also content, presets, and so on.

LW_Will
08-17-2008, 10:52 PM
"Do you get wafers with it?"

"Of course you don't get bloody wafers with it!"

"what flavor is it?"

"Its bloody sea bird flavored, id'in'it?"

You know... aw, what's the use of it...

clagman
08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Tried PLG, soooo nice. Actually does a better job. I guess I can see why it was dropped considering that PLG is getting long in the tooth. I'm just glad a 64 bit version was available ya know.