PDA

View Full Version : Thrips in my LCD :(

kopperdrake
08-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Summer's here and we've got about 10 thrips (thunderbugs) stuck behind our monitors...annoying little blighters! Has anyone had any experience of keeping the things away from the monitors with bug killers etc? We've one monitor left untouched - the trusty Dell - but this makes me want to go back to CRTs! They're dying behind the glass - end up as a little blodgy black patch - just annoying! :devil:

kopperdrake
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Apparently these things - about 1mm-2mm long can even get into water-proof kit - guess they didn't survive 270 million years by being obvious! I just made the mistake of killing one inside - guess he's stuck forever. One site said to gently tap the screen once the carcass has dried out - I was a bit zealous and now I have two in the one monitor after the second bounced up from the bottom where it must've lain deceased!

Might move back to the city - a good dose of smog would sort them out I'm sure ;)

iconoclasty
08-14-2008, 01:09 PM
That is disgusting. I've never heard of anything like that. Do you guys live in the European rain forests or what?

Iain
08-14-2008, 01:19 PM
European rain forests is about right. It's rained every day here for weeks.

All this rain and warm weather seems to have created a microscopic zoo in my garden; thrips, midges, ants and beetles galore.

I'm like Michael Flatley in the kitchen some days.

Nangleator
08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm like Michael Flatley in the kitchen some days.
:ohmy:

pumeco
08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Wow, I've never heared anything like this before. I can't imagine how these insects get under the screen because I always assumed LCD's where sealed units. I mean they must be sealed or there'd be liquid crystal all over the place :D

shrox
08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
All the LCD screens I have worked with don't have glass, it is a soft membrane that flexes and leaves that color distortion pattern for a bit. Will the glass that covers the screen itself come off?

kopperdrake
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Judging by the little blighters in there, I can see at least two layers they're either crawling in or have decided to part from this life in - the outside plastic screen and the LCD layer itself, and then behind that there's another layer that is the backlight. Those just beneath the outer plastic layer are lovely and sharp, I keep trying to squidge them (believe me - I've almost felt like taking a sledge hammer to the little buggers), those basking (or slow-roasting) between the LCD and backlight are blurry...it's like a thrip z-buffer in there! We've lost 3 out of 5 monitors so far to them - even the new Iiyama widescreen - dead pixels are nothing compared to this!

It's the fields - every year in the country, when it gets a bit hot and moist, typically before a thunderstorm, we get millions of the little sods...s'why we usually call them thunderbugs. And they bite - nothing nasty - just makes you itch.

Mind you - at least we don't get the Scot's midges down in England eh Iain? ;)

pumeco
08-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I hope for your sake that Mr&Mrs Thunderbug aren't on the same layer, if they breed it could get really irritating :lol:

Speedmonk42
08-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Damn. I just think it's cool you have something called Thunderbugs.

shrox
08-15-2008, 12:45 AM
We have fireflys in the mid and south eastern US.

rakker16mm
08-15-2008, 12:58 AM
I've never had any bugs get into my lcd but there is this one black burmese cat hair down at the bottom of the screen. Ach! Mr. Livingston I presume.

Bytehawk
08-15-2008, 05:19 AM
ya !

I have a few of them on my screen. nasty buggers. If anyone knows a solution. PLEEEEEAASE reply.

cohominous
08-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Damn. I just think it's cool you have something called Thunderbugs.

Not when you learn that another common name for them is corn lice... ewww.

T-Light
08-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Not when you learn that another common name for them is corn lice... ewww.
Interesting selection of names for what's known in these parts as 'little s**d*ng b*****ds'.

Nothing like driving through the country with the window down only to feel an itch and see your absolutely crawling with the so and so's.

Anyone have any trouble with laptop screens then?

kopperdrake
08-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Not *yet*, though I've heard online of people having that problem. Guess laptops in general aren't left on as long for the blighters to find the warmth and light...

...here's a rather bad photo of the two in the middle of the iiyama...so those without can share the pain of those on here with ;)

I've got slightly used to them, in the same way you can get used to an arthritic pain, and even named them...

...'s*dding' and 'b*stard'...

animotion
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
All I can say is "Good old USA" keep that S#!t over there!

kopperdrake
08-16-2008, 11:54 AM
All I can say is "Good old USA" keep that S#!t over there!

Hmm...now that you mention it, we *do* still owe you for the grey squirrels and fresh water crayfish.

Mind you - we've already given you Simon Callow so perhaps we're even :D

Paul_Boland
08-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Is this for real or a joke posting? I've never heard of this before.

Bytehawk
08-16-2008, 02:09 PM
it' real alright, i'll post a photo of my thunderfly couple later on if you don't believe me

Bytehawk
08-16-2008, 04:47 PM
here 's a nice piccy of one of them.

Iain
09-02-2008, 01:32 AM
I got up in the middle of the night to see what my cat was going crazy about.

She had cornered what I thought was a 40mm scorpion in the kitchen so I stuck a glass over it, thinking I'd be off to the zoo in the morning.

Turns out it was a Devils Coach Horse Beetle. What's going on? I remember wood lice being the only beasties I ever saw here :eek:.

geothefaust
09-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Holy crap that thing looks mean!!! I've never seen anything like that in a home, though when I lived in Ft. Benning GA, there were palmetto bugs (giant flying cockroaches) every where!

As for the other little things, I doubt it's the same thing, but once, behind the plastic of my GBA screen cover was a little white creature that decided to live there. I couldn't get the thing to ever come out. But he did move around frequently when I would go to play a game. Bastard.

ben martin
09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, lost by an hundred, lost by a thousand... if I had such infestation I would disassemble the TFT / LCD and use an air compressor to vent the bastards away!

I have done worst things in my life… once I just offered a 19” NEC monitor to the NEC agent cause NEC client support decided not to support the monitor Tube.
The Anti-glare film lost adherence at a small spot on the top-up left corner.
So I said to them just to keep the monitor and make a fish aquarium with it – I had just spent $700 buying that crap. :thumbsdow

ben martin
09-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Another simple idea:

1. Move the infected TFT / LCD to a dark, cold room for a night.
2. Mount an outside bright and warm lamp stand, near the TFT / LCD chassis rear .
3. Leave the lamp burning all night.

If is light and warm the bastards need, maybe this convince them to leave and travel to the new sunshine beach near the lamp area and leave the TFT / LCD alone! :)

It won't hurt trying! :D

manholoz
09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
There does seems to be a trend here on the forums, am I right?. Mc Cain and nuclear reactors, cat slaying, giant scary bugs, microscopic pests on lcd monitors...

Red_Oddity
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I've had some under the screen of my laptop...joy...stupid little critters..funny thing we call 'm thunderbugs as well (onweers beestjes, in dutch)

kopperdrake
09-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Ooh - now I'd be really upset at a laptop getting them, no chance of stripping that down! 'Beestjes' = 'little beasts'? I always think that 'jes' makes things soundc ute...except in this case :D

Iain: scary!! I found a big bug the other night heading for our back door, must've been around the same size with a long abdomen...can't say I had time to photo it before shutting the door and getting them locks done up! There's a weird looking flying thing we always get this time of year too, really ugly, I'll try and get a pic of one next time I see one.

Bytehawk
09-03-2008, 03:37 PM
yeah, next time you see it - ask it for a photo....

:)

manholoz
09-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Yesterday I had nightmares full of insects, most probably said nightmares inspired by all this insect talk