PDA

View Full Version : 9.5 FFX Question

alkart2003
08-14-2008, 07:10 AM
:newtek:I'm trying to figure out how to add fur to different areas of an animal. The animals will be a deer and a chipmunk. How do you add fur to different areas of different color and fiber length using the pixel filter in layout? For example on a deer, the top and back of the deer is brownish and the underneath is white. Around the nose is smaller fibers and get longer as the proceed backwards from the nose. I didn't see an option to build differnt fur areas like in saslite. I see you have the option to place fiber on all or a selection but not multiple selections. Can anybody explain how to do this using the pixel filter in layout? Does anybody already have any examples or tutorials that could show this?

dee
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
You can use UV's and Weight Maps for this. Or strands.

alkart2003
08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
How and where do you load the UV's or weight maps in FFX? How does this give me the ability to work with the fur in different regions of the model? Can somebody show some screen grabs of this procedure?

Greenlaw
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Here's the simple answer: Open the FiberFX Filter, select the Color tab. Set the Color mode to Textured. Click the T button. Go crazy.

The fur should pick up color of the texture map. I'm seeing good results with regular uv mapped images, but with procedural textures I can get some unexpected colors.

Hope this helps.

DRG

Greenlaw
08-14-2008, 02:56 PM
FYI, just to be sure, I did a few tests a minute ago to make sure it was working with other mapping modes. For some reason, the color of the fur is off a bit when using cubic, spherical, and cylinder projection modes. But when I use UV mapped images, the fur color seems to be spot on.

For me, this is fine since these day I map all character textures with UVs anyway.

DRG

pumeco
08-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Just in case you're not aware of this, you can also use seperate surface assignments to split-up your fiber zones :)

silviotoledo
08-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Sad

We really can't add more tha one instance of fiber fx with full different settings filtered by surface :(

DBMiller
08-16-2008, 08:21 PM
If you go into modeler and look under the Setup tab you will find the fiberfx tools to add layers of strands with different attributes. Just create a poly model and go into the FiberFx screen (just hit the button) and apply strands to each named surface. You can add all different colors, lengths, etc. DBMiller

DBMiller
08-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Also, on the forum I found this link http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61826&d=1218834149 to the fiberfx manual. Look at the thread by footfur in the LW PC forum (how do you find fiberfx?)

hydroclops
08-16-2008, 08:55 PM
If you go into modeler and look under the Setup tab you will find the fiberfx tools to add layers of strands with different attributes. Just create a poly model and go into the FiberFx screen (just hit the button) and apply strands to each named surface. You can add all different colors, lengths, etc. DBMiller

There's no button...

Tom2007
08-16-2008, 09:23 PM
There's no button...

This was news to me, and I looked and no button.

But, I went to Edit drop down menu, and selected Edit Menu Layout.

On there you will find the Fiber FX buttons (two commands) listed, but they are not added to the modeler menu yet. So you can add them there.

Though, I really wish I had docs for this.

DBMiller
08-17-2008, 07:08 AM
This was news to me, and I looked and no button.

But, I went to Edit drop down menu, and selected Edit Menu Layout.

On there you will find the Fiber FX buttons (two commands) listed, but they are not added to the modeler menu yet. So you can add them there.

If it wasn't for zapper1998's post I wouldn't have found the link I posted above.
The Strand Tool plug in is in Plugins->Modeler Tools. The FiberFx and Strand Maker plugins are in Plugins->FiberFX.:thumbsup:

prospector
08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
On there you will find the Fiber FX buttons (two commands) listed
Should be 3, but not grouped...1 is way down the list to add

Matt
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM

The FiberFX manuals are now online at http://register.newtek.com/ (under 'My Downloads', scroll down to 'Documentation')

Although, the 'Screen' resolution manual appears to actually be the 'Print' resolution manual, and the 'Print' resolution link doesn't seem to work for me.

Go and download now!

JamesCurtis
08-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah Matt, that link did not work for me either! I think NT may have goofed up the links, but the print res pdf manual is fine anyhow.