PDA

View Full Version : was anyone else embarrassed by the

Stooch
08-14-2008, 01:44 AM
luminetix demo at the newtek booth? i had the urge to flee the premises and actually blushed out of sympathetic embarrassment. wow. im amazed that the pr guys at newtek thought that stuff was worthy of showing off. holy crap. its so bad on so many levels i dont even know where to begin.

p.s. i was the guy with the t-shirt that had the "HET!" on it with a guy refusing a shot of vodka.

benhaines
08-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Is there a url with more info one what was showns for those people not at Siggraph?

Stooch
08-14-2008, 02:15 AM
quite honestly i think that not showing a URL to this atrocity will be better for everyone.

benhaines
08-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Lol... f'enough... :) Really that bad then.

virtualcomposer
08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Is there a reason they showed amateur LW material instead of professional stuff like BSG or many other tv and film stuff? I agree with allot of people that the Robot animation isn't exactly all of what LW is capable of.

SplineGod
08-14-2008, 10:35 AM
This is why I didnt even bother to going by this year. Last year was just as bad. I took coworkers to see the demos last year and wish I hadnt. I mangaged to convince the ownder of the studio Im at now to go with LW already and didnt see the need to do anything to change his mind. I cant seem to recall when NT didnt demo LW this way at siggraph...

Chuck
08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
The principals at Luminetik are professionals in the motion picture industry, not amateurs, and they are doing stylized character animation, possibly with the same toolset used, for example, in the recent "Terra" animated feature. It may certainly be the case that the Alex project isn't everybody's cup of tea.

There have been a lot of other things to see at the booth, including the work on Iron Man and other feature film projects. The demos of the capabilities of the animated radiosity cache and the new joint-based rigs are getting great reactions from the crowd as well. There is a lot more going on at the booth, thank goodness, than most of the messages posted here so far would indicate, and I can say that despite the fact that I'm not really getting a lot of booth time, concentrating on the production presentations and classes along with the rest of the dev team. William, JRod, Ben, Deuce and Graham are showing major amounts of v9.5 cool to good effect with the crowds, and the Trial Edition CDs are getting scooped up by the thousands for this show.