OOZZEE
08-13-2008, 09:34 PM
holy crapola 9.5 renders fast !!!!

what an improvement !!!!

WOW !!!!

well I'm happy !!!!

shrox
08-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Mine seem much slower! I went back to 9.3.1, I'll keep trying it, maybe it's one of my settings.

jameswillmott
08-13-2008, 10:24 PM
GI has changed a lot, you can dial down your settings to get faster times with better quality. Area lights are slower for the same settings but again, they have nicer results. Ergo, don't expect 9.3.1 scenes to render quicker without changing settings.

Jockomo
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
can anyone elaborate a bit more on how to optimize settings to take advantage of the faster render speeds. Are the advancements only in GI?

jameswillmott
08-13-2008, 11:01 PM
GI has the main advancements, Exception has put together a guide that explains it all here http://www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide95/

Interpolate reflections/refractions are only available for Materials in the node editor, you can specify a sample size and blur radius to get them really fast, but they're very scene specific, you'll need to play to work them out.

Same for lights, but you can probably get away with one less quality level for area/linear lights than you used to for the same smoothness.

Jockomo
08-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Wow what a great tutorial, thanks for the link, I'm sure that will clear things up.

Just offhand, I did a test of the scene I am currently working on with one distant and two area lights. I renedered with classic camera PLD5pass

9.3.1 rendered at 12min11sec
9.5 rendered at 6min37seconds

I didn't notice a huge difference in the images, a little bit of difference in the reflected light I think.

Anyway that puts a smile on my face, great job guys, render speed is always my favorite improvement!