PDA

View Full Version : Importing Models .obj

sugdenstudio
08-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am extremely new to lightwave so any help would be great. I am importing my multy group object files into layout and I cant seem to get to any of the groups. Layout is treating it like one object. Nothing comes up in the scene editor. What am I doing wrong/ or not doing? Thanks

Shane

Matt
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Which version of LightWave are you using?

sugdenstudio
08-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Version 9.3

heynewt
08-14-2008, 10:21 AM
You'll need to bring the object into Modeler first and separate out the groups into separate objects if that's what you need in Layout. You can't separate .obj groups in Scene Editor. It's really better to bring your .obj file into modeler and then save it out as a .lwo object file before bringing into Layout to render. It's not that it won't work, it's just a good habit to get into.

Groups are handled in the Modeler program portion of Lightwave.

Robert N.

manholoz
08-14-2008, 12:18 PM
and 9.5 has improved obj import/export, so you shoulad also look into that (9.5 is a free update)

LightFreeze
08-14-2008, 01:29 PM
9.5 doesn`t do groups, your best bet is to use 9.3 modeler and then get Dodgy`s MTL import (http://www.mikegreen.name/) scripts if you want the materials as well.

On Dodgy`s page goto the plugins link and scroll down to import/export.

Also be very careful with objects in 9.5, if your file has groups in it and you have it loaded into 9.5 and then do a save all you will lose all your groups

sugdenstudio
08-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys for all your feedback. I do all my modeling in SILO which is just a dream, then export into other various packages.I will have to do some farting around inside lightwave. Thanks again.