PDA

View Full Version : 9.5

Stingslang
08-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Ware they planning on having 9.5 available for mac?!

brian.coates
08-13-2008, 09:15 PM
From the press release:

LightWave v9.5 for Windows is available now as a free update to registered LightWave v9 owners. The LightWave v9.5 Mac open beta program is currently available until upcoming final release. LightWave v9 owners can participate by registering at: http://register.newtek.com/.

Chilton
08-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi,

The Mac version still has a few kinks in it we're not real happy with, so we're working on those.

This is not a case of the Mac version being ported after the PC version, or anything like that. During Open Beta testing, we found a handful of Mac specific bugs that are negatively affecting the user experience, and which we just don't have fixed yet.

The Open Beta will continue to remain open (and free, to registered 9.x users) until these bugs are fixed. And other than the Mac specific bugs, it's the same version and feature set as the shipping PC version.

-Chilton

virtualcomposer
08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
better to wait then to get a version that we'll end up waiting for the fix anyway. I'd rather wait and get a version that I'm going to enjoy and be happy with.

gschrick
08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
One little note. I work on a PC at home and a MAC at work. I updated my PC to 9.5, but any scene saved in that version doesn't load in 9.3.

So if you are using both platforms it may be beneficial to hold off until they're both available. Or just remember to keep a version of 9.3 running on your PC.

Cageman
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
One little note. I work on a PC at home and a MAC at work. I updated my PC to 9.5, but any scene saved in that version doesn't load in 9.3.

So if you are using both platforms it may be beneficial to hold off until they're both available. Or just remember to keep a version of 9.3 running on your PC.

You can work in LW9.5 and save as 9.2 scenefile format. Though, you'd better stay away from using the new stuff in LW9.5. :)

Village Peasant
08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
What is the E.T.A for Mac LW9.5? Days? Weeks? Months?

Giacomo99
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
What is the E.T.A for Mac LW9.5? Days? Weeks? Months?

The ETA is "now"-- if you can bear using the Open Beta, which in my experience is completely functional.

Village Peasant
08-26-2008, 01:07 AM
The ETA is "now"-- if you can bear using the Open Beta, which in my experience is completely functional.

What are the bugs in Open Beta? Are they listed?

I don't like that one platform was bug fixed before the other. Makes you feel like second class citizen.

cagey5
08-26-2008, 01:15 AM

I don't like that one platform was bug fixed before the other. Makes you feel like second class citizen.

Oh please... Are you serious?

Chilton
08-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi,

If only it were that simple. On the Mac side, we maintain a CFM version (based in CodeWarrior), and a Universal Binary that supports two chipsets. Additionally, we support some platform specific features that the PC side doesn't have. So we occasionally end up with some platform specific bugs, which is the holdup right now.

If everyone would just switch to Intel based Macs running Leopard, that would clear up a lot of the issues right there ;-)

-Chilton

adamredwoods
08-26-2008, 11:45 AM
If everyone would just switch to Intel based Macs running Leopard, that would clear up a lot of the issues right there ;-)

-Chilton

Which is what Adobe is doing for CS4.

Darth Mole
08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey, I've switched. Don't blame me!

Tony3d
08-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey, I've switched. Don't blame me!

I have switched also!

blindsided
08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I am too poor to switch!
Maybe A Free INTEL with every purchase of LW10! Then everyone is happy!
:agree:

BigHache
08-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Codewarrior... man those were the days.

gatz
08-28-2008, 01:28 AM
I have switched also!

I switched. But I overshot and landed on 9.3PC. Aps are aps but the OS is the work of artless monkeys. I tolerate it because of my plugins work and most of the d*mn bugs aren't present.

The hitch is I've started playing with XSI...

rg

Largemedium
08-28-2008, 03:29 PM
When the 9.5 final is released, will we get DVD's mailed to us, or is it download only?

AngellDude
08-29-2008, 06:44 AM
At least your getting a NON-Intel version for you Mac at ALL. I bought ZBrush under the "FREE upgrade to 3.0" sales pitch and then they pulled the carpet out from under us and are not doing a NON-Intel version. I appreciate the open forum New Tek provides us AND i TOTALLY expect that (and this is just me assuming) LW 10.0 will be a NON-Intel version...if not before. BUT I would expect New Tek to tell us, as open as they are. I can't WAIT to get 9.5 but i know from the openness that it is coming...(knock on wood!!)

Chilton
08-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi,

If you have bought any of the 9.x versions, the future is now (9.5 is in Open Beta). If not, then the future will be soon.

-Chilton

tigerten
09-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Historically, mac versions have trailed PC versions. It was ported from Amiga (those were the days) to Windows a long time before Mac, and many more 3rd party developers work primarily (or exclusively) with Windows. Plus, programming to Mac standards does require different approaches.

It's just annoying to download and replace betas every 30 days or so.

BTW, I was never put on the Beta Mailing list. I may not be the only one, which may help explain the lack of feedback from users mentioned elsewhere.

Not a condemnation, just a comment.

MikeJamesMedia
09-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Hi Chilton,

So, just to be clear...

Is LightWave 9.5 stable on Intel Macs, or are the Mac bugs on both Intel and non-Intel?

Chilton
09-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi Mike,

9.5 is quite stable on both Intel and PPC. The bugs we were hitting were longstanding issues (some going back long before I came here) that our users were still hitting. Were==past tense

The current bugs are pretty specific, and I suspect a lot of them would not have been found if it weren't for the diligent work of our beta testers.

-Chilton