PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#1

Iain
08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Looking for something to try out your new 9.5 release on? After putting out some feelers, I thought it would be a good idea to set up our own Speed Modelling Challenges.
At the moment, it's unofficial (no prizes, sorry) but hopefully Newtek might get involved at some point.
Ben Haines has kindly offered the involvement of Preset Central so it may be that we could upload all models there.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87309 rather than clog up this thread.
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

If you have the facility, a link to a recording of your modelling process would be very useful. This is NOT essential but would greatly help those still learning.
This Week:

Subject - Bond Gadgets
Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 20th August 2008

Pick any Bond Gadget, including those of the villains. Feel free to use your imagination but bear in mind the time limit.

Useful reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_James_Bond_gadgets

I'll start it off.

A miniature spy camera. Modelling time: 60 minutes. Happy to share. (No time for a decent render :stop:)

benhaines
08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Oooh Iain, would you be willing to share your surfaces as presets on PresetCentral? You could link to this post from within the description.

Looks nice!

shrox
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
If I model a stealth invisibility field generator, can I make it in the on mode?

Hopper
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I was tempted ...

Just think how fast even a noob like me could have modeled "Odd Job's" hat. But the question is ... is it really a gadget? I think if you can toss your hat over and cut a stone pillar in half .... mmmmm sure. :D

But alas ... your cut-off time (pardon the pun) was too quick.

andrew_y
08-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Cool Idea for sure, setup the rule-set and all, and we'll toss in a t-shirt to the winner.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/contest/images/tshirt_preview.jpg

Iain
08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Cool Idea for sure, setup the rule-set and all, and we'll toss in a t-shirt to the winner.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/contest/images/tshirt_preview.jpg

Great. Thank you.

Iain
08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I rushed my render to start off the first challenge so here's one I'm happier with.

The render isn't that important but it should show off the detail and quality of the model.

JeffrySG
08-14-2008, 10:06 AM
^looks great, Iain!

Great first topic too for the challenge!! :D

JeffrySG
08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
If I model a stealth invisibility field generator, can I make it in the on mode?

:lol:

kopperdrake
08-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Give me a LW T-Shirt over a copy of LW any day - I'll be looking to enter this one :D Nice one Iain and Andrew!

Sonitrolio
08-17-2008, 09:08 PM
I hope that this idea takes off. I intend to get involved in the next one if it does. (I haven't seen any of the Bond movies aside from Goldeneye.)

Tippsy
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Sweeeeeeet!! Start this baby a rollin definitely want to enter this and a t shirt just adds sprinkles to a delicious donut!!

codyburke610
08-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Excellent idea Iain, and great model/render also! That shirt is awesome Andrew! I'd have to wear that only everyday, ha.

Anyway, this is the first time I ever tried to do any type of "speed modeling". The gadget I modeled is just from an image that I found on Google. Supposedly, this is a video/usb pen. I stopped modeling exactly at 60 min. I got most of the modeling done except for one small detail; the camera located above the pen clip.

The texturing and lighting was done by myself, but I feel that I deserve to give a lot of credit to my new friend Louis for helping me out with that. He had the kindness to write up a short tutorial on lighting, and explain to me some texturing tips. Thanks Louis!

Here's the final render with the wireframe screen capture added on.
Thanks!
-Cody-

Tippsy
08-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Nice one Cody!

Tippsy
08-18-2008, 01:30 AM
So I was bored and haven't used Lightwave in like 3 months so I decided I would start back up with one of these. Found out that being a little rusty and trying to get something done in 60 mins was way harder than I thought...So this looked a lot better in my mind but here it is 57 mins and 42 secs later!

Supposed to be a new way for bond to crack a safe I think I saw mention of one of these on that original Wikipedia link.

Iain
08-18-2008, 03:08 AM
Great to see you get on board, Cody and Tippsy.

It's not easy, I know. I was feeling very smug after 30 minutes with everything blocked out but adding the detail took me right to the wire.

colkai
08-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Cody, my only crit would be, you should of used way more segments to make it smooth.

codyburke610
08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Tippsy! Same to you.:thumbsup:

Glad to aboard Iain!:thumbsup:

colkai- I agree with you 100% on that. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the moment. I probably either wanted to try and subpatch it, or was just trying to keep the poly count low. It def. shows it in the render though. I think I only used about 12 segments.
-Cody-

RollerJesus
08-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I took another shot a the model. It took me 35 minutes this time. I decided I have spent enough time on this so I should at least put it out there. I'm not thrilled with it by any means, but 45 minutes to model and a few hours (!) on the texturing/rendering.

It's a safecracker from "You Only Live Twice". I didn't remember it from the movie, but it looked easy to model, so I went with it.

`Patrick

Iain
08-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice model and render :thumbsup:

Mitja
08-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Ok, here it is what I did. A bond-camera in a bond-zippo.

61917 61918

Time: something like 50mins. And I can share it, if someone is interested.
C&C are welcome!

Tippsy
08-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I like that one a lot Mitja!! Nice use of a simple metal texture but you made it look perfect for that lighter!! Great job!

Hopper
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Well .. I tried. :)

I finally got my textures and lights right and Layout crashed twice. The first time I hadn't saved it... Doh! The second time it wouldn't get past calculating the GI. Then, I ran out of time.

So here was the first pass. I hadn't set the SubD level higher than default so there's faceting all over the place and you can't see the texture at all. I had toned down the "blade" around the rim so it wasn't so obvious, but that didn't make it into this render, so it looks horrible.

Total time: 52 minutes. (Includes making the so-so wood grain texture in CS3)
The hat actually took all of about 10 minutes. The rest was fighting textures and Layout.

I'll try to get a better one out sometime. Keep in mind I totally suck at texturing because I don't understand 90% of it yet.

Edit: Damn, I just noticed I got the reflection of my light box in the wood, thus the giant streak on the right side.

Hopper
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Ok, here it is what I did. A bond-camera in a bond-zippo.

Time: something like 50mins. And I can share it, if someone is interested.
C&C are welcome!
I like this one a lot. Nice DOF!. :thumbsup:

Sharing would be great. I learn faster from dissecting other works rather than fumbling through things on my own. It's always nice to have great references.

RollerJesus
08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey Hopper, no time limit on texturing/rendering... Only the modeling part.

By the way, I mirrored this texture pack a few months ago for someone. It's free and has some good/bad stuff.

http://www.bedpanmedia.com/Textures/Formica_Collection.zip

Nice hat!

RollerJesus
08-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry, for spamming this thread, but I forgot to post my wires and missed my edit window.

Patrick

Hopper
08-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey Hopper, no time limit on texturing/rendering... Only the modeling part.

That's what I get for never learning to count past 4. #5 totally eluded me.

Iain, may I ask what you used for your light setup? I just used a standard lightbox (luminous ploy's) and it's just not doing it for me. My inexperience in lighting can be quite frustrating at times.

Thanks for the link RollerJesus. I'll check 'em out!

Iain
08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
That's what I get for never learning to count past 4. #5 totally eluded me.

Iain, may I ask what you used for your light setup? I just used a standard lightbox (luminous ploy's) and it's just not doing it for me. My inexperience in lighting can be quite frustrating at times.

Thanks for the link RollerJesus. I'll check 'em out!

My first render had an Area Light and Image World with a HDRI as the probe.
Second was done in Maxwell.

I really like the hat. Crank up those subpatch Levels!

BlueApple
08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Apparently there was a boombox that shot rockets in one of the Bond flicks; here is my interpretation. Didn't get to model all of the detail I wanted, but I did eat the whole hour on this.

The texturing job was a quicky, but good enough to show (it's speed modeling, right?)

Everybody else's entries look great. There's a nice variety here.

*Happy to donate the model if folks would benefit from it.

dwburman
08-18-2008, 06:18 PM
The mini-breather from Thunderball

about 56 minutes on the modeling.

Hopper
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
The mini-breather from Thunderball

about 56 minutes on the modeling.
Reallly cool! Simple, clean, and nice lighting. That, and I'm a Scotch and cigar fan .. :D

Does the Romeo and y Julietta canister have anisotropic banding on it? I don't remember (I usually don't get singles).

dwburman
08-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks.

The surfacing still needs a little work and I think I have some 2pt polys to clean up but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

The tube in the reference photos I was using appeared to have anisotropic properties.

Reallly cool! Simple, clean, and nice lighting. That, and I'm a Scotch and cigar fan .. :D

Does the Romeo and y Julietta canister have anisotropic banding on it? I don't remember (I usually don't get singles).

dwburman
08-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Here's a shot with more details. I did a Gamma/Levels adjustment in post.

The files are here:
http://dwburman.com/files/mini-breather.zip

The .hdr image came on the LW9 disc.

voriax
08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Almost didn't get involved in this one because I'm not that familiar with the "classic Bond" gadgets, and the gadgets in the new films are all kinda boring .. unless you count the Aston Martins.

Anyway, after going through the list and trying to find something worth doing, I thought I'd go a little different and choose Holly Goodhead's perfume flamethrower from Moonraker.
No idea what it looked like or if it played any big part in the movie but thought it was funny.. so here `tis.

Modelling time ~60mins..

Hopper
08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Man I hate following renders like that .. Excellent voriax.

Well .. I got my render to finish but since I won't have time to work on it tomorrow, I'll post what I have. I had some trouble with the textures, but since I've never really done any realistic type stuff - here's my go at it.

I included two - one was more subtle but I wasn't sure which one to use so I'm forcing you to look at BOTH.. :)

Iain
08-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Great entries guys.

Very imaginative, Voriax!

Mitja
08-19-2008, 02:12 AM
I like that one a lot Mitja!! Nice use of a simple metal texture but you made it look perfect for that lighter!! Great job!

I like this one a lot. Nice DOF!.

Thanks both!!! I'm glad someone liked it.

JeffrySG
08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Sorry guys.... Now I really hate to post this... but yes, I too, did OddJob's Bowler Hat. Doh! I was right at 1 hr. for this one. I found a few ref. pics of the hat that showed it curved in on the top, and then saw some later pics of it not curve in on the top. I think I just figured that it got push out over time so I went with the curved in on the top version.

There are some really great posts here. And it kind of makes me realize that I need to spend way more time rendering in LW. ;) I was fooling around with the rendering and surface settings and once I turned on reflections it kicked up the render time way up.

@dwburman: love the mini-breather! I forgot about that one!

@BlueApple: that's one deadly boombox! - very cool!

@Mitja: the lighter came out great! love the render!

@RollerJesus: it came out great! I really like the old style number, etc.

@voriax: kick-a** render man!

@Hopper: I like the presentation on your hat a lot better than mine!

:)

ps. I'd be happy to share the model if anyone wants it, too, btw.

Iain
08-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Sorry guys.... Now I really hate to post this... but yes, I too, did OddJob's Bowler Hat.

Wow Jeff-I think you just raised the bar! (Although voriax maybe did that a few posts earlier)

Cracking model and render :thumbsup:

It's great to see so many good entries so well done everybody for having a go.
I've got an idea for the next one that should be easier to model in 60 minutes.

JeffrySG
08-19-2008, 07:21 AM
^Just to be clear... I was at 1hr for the modeling on that.... I spent way to long on the surfaces and rendering settings than I care to admit. ;)

Cheers, Iain... Much appreciated! and yes, voriax's render is super slick!

I love the speed challenges, because I know it's something I can get done in an hour if needed and don't need to spend days and days working on. And I know if I really don't want to render anything I don't really have to.

Nangleator
08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Okay, I'm sticking my toe in to test the water. I'll go with the BD-5, from the opening of one of the Roger Moore ones. I may go old school with splines to start. Should I work hard on surfaces and a render?

Iain
08-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Okay, I'm sticking my toe in to test the water. I'll go with the BD-5, from the opening of one of the Roger Moore ones. I may go old school with splines to start. Should I work hard on surfaces and a render?

Only if you want to. The render is just to show the model at its best so if you think clay or whatever works, that's fine.

Nangleator
08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Okay, I'll start in about 10 hours. (Wish I could do it here at work.)

Mitja
08-19-2008, 08:24 AM
@JeffrySG: You render is great, and the model too!

JeffrySG
08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
(Wish I could do it here at work.)

don't we all! :devil:

Thx Mitja!

Mike Borjon
08-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Iain, this is a great contest and I hope to give it a go.

Incredible work work by all who have entered! Gonna be hard to pick the winner.

Way to go and thanks Andrew the LW shirt is very cool. Hope to win one.

CMT
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm in too. I'll upload my model once this damn thing finishes rendering. I'm at work ATM and I only have LW 8.5 here and it's crawling along. I need to hit 'em up for an upgrade soon....

I'll probably send the files on home to render it in 9.5...

danielkaiser
08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Always my favorite 007 gadget, definitely the most useful, with it you can subdue the enemy or get that babe into the sack, come to think of it, not much difference between the two.

Kuzey
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Oooooh...Little Nellie is cool, but that looks more of a day challenge :)

http://jamesbond007.net/vehicules/Nellie.html

Kuzey

cresshead
08-19-2008, 02:05 PM
yeah i've been thinking about that one too... just trying to squeeze as much as poss in an hour....gotta be able to make a rough of that gyrocopter in less than 59mins and 59secs to be done... down to the wire bond style scene!

Hopper
08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Always my favorite 007 gadget, definitely the most useful, with it you can subdue the enemy or get that babe into the sack, come to think of it, not much difference between the two.
You have my vote on principle alone. :thumbsup:

BlueApple
08-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Clearly an enemy gadget, but a gadget nonetheless. Modeled and textured in an hour.

A lot of the entries have a very impressive level of realism. If anyone wants to share any secrets, I'm taking notes :)

R.Feeney
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
The Wrist Dart Gun. From Octopussy
About 35-40 min of modeling and the same setting up surfaces and lighting.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61993&stc=1&d=1219186403
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61994&stc=1&d=1219186491

First contest I have entered and I`m up against some seriously good work:thumbsup:
My reference (http://bp0.blogger.com/_HZxjZs9ytRU/RqtsKknpfBI/AAAAAAAACWk/kKNtNr1Z8sQ/s1600-h/wristdart.JPG)

Nangleator
08-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I hope you didn't stir that, Daniel!

Hopper
08-19-2008, 05:41 PM
The Wrist Dart Gun. From Octopussy
Oh man ... I completely forgot about that one. Great piece!

First contest I have entered and I`m up against some seriously good work
I just realized ... I've been hangin out on these forums for well over a year and a half, and this is the first time I've ever posted a real render...

Just goes to show... these mini contests are a great idea! It even gets some of us noobs out to participate.

R.Feeney
08-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Oh man ... I completely forgot about that one. Great piece!

I just realized ... I've been hangin out on these forums for well over a year and a half, and this is the first time I've ever posted a real render...

Just goes to show... these mini contests are a great idea! It even gets some of us noobs out to participate.

Thanks, it certainly encouraged me to do some modeling again.
Wednesday the 20th is my brithday so a chance to win a LW t-shirt is a great present :D

dwburman
08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
I haven't entered (m)any contests but I should get back to modeling for fun as well as profit. :)

Nangleator
08-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Okay, here's mine.

Stupid breaker tripped and I lost my first attempt, last week. Stupid breaker tripped again tonight and I lost a few minutes of work. I added some minutes to compensate. Almost certain I was well under an hour modeling.

Not too proud of this. I wasted lots of time tweaking splines for the fuselage. In retrospect, I think I'd probably do it box modeling next time.

Embarrassed that there's no interior, and that my control surfaces aren't modeled. I'm slow!

I froze my subpatch so my efforts to inset my windshield wouldn't get all rounded, thus the heavy mesh.

Wing root is a bit wonky, and the nose isn't right at all. As I said, I'm slow!

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/BD5_Beauty.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/BD5_Occlusion.jpg

JeffrySG
08-20-2008, 07:00 AM
^I'd say that looks pretty darn good for an hour. I know for me, on objects like that it can take forever to really tweak the shape to get exactly what you want! The render looks great with the nice motion blur as well. Nice job! :)

Nangleator
08-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks! Yes, tweaking is a time suck.

Can't wait to find out what the next challenge is.

akademus
08-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Is anyone recording. You can grab free camtasia studio here: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/11/22/techsmith-offers-free-camtasia-studio-download/

StereoMike
08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Great entries so far. I thought about Little Nellie as well, but maybe I chose something different now :)

mike

CMT
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Here's my entree. It's Bond's Walther PPK. Barely made the hour deadline yesterday. Then spent about a year trying to get a decent HDR lighting render out of LW 8.5. Just took way too long on my old machine here at work.

So today I gave up on that then just added a couple area lights and called it quits. A bit of PS work afterwards. The grip is where I reached the time limit. So it has no detail. I think I will try to finish this one up though. :)

geothefaust
08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I was away on vacation, and then returned just to immediately get back to work, doh!

That said, I modeled something before vacation, and didn't have time to texture it until lastnight and I'm currently rendering. I hope to have it uploaded ASAP.

Nangleator
08-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Nice gun there, CMT! Did you start with 2D shapes and extrude out? Good microbevels. Did you subpatch it or use Rounder?

CMT
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
I forgot to post my wires. They are a bit messy as I didn't do a lot of planning or cleaning up.

Nangleator, thanks!
Yeah it was subpatched for rendering. Most of the time I drew a box and shaped it close to the gun's profile and fixed a few vertices that didn't line up. There were a couple parts where I used the pen tool and extruded the shape. But it was mostly done with editing primitives. Also, I didn't use rounder at all. I used the knife command very close to the edges on most areas. Some areas I would pick several polys of a shape and tap the Smooth shift command and not move it, but then zoomed in and moved the new polys normally just a small amount. I guess I could have used rounder in some instances. I just didn't think about it.

Here's the pic I used for reference and my wires....

geothefaust
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, there are some really awesome entries! Great job everyone. :)

Here is mine... Forgive the sloppiness of the texturing. I didn't spend much time on that or rendering.

Anyway, it's Jaws' teeth! I spent about 58 minutes modeling all of the objects in the scene. I figured why not make a scene that's kind of amusing? I mean, Jaws has to clean is metal teeth at some point right? They're so darn shiny.

Image. Jaws cleaning teeth, with wires.

Edit: I thought I'd throw a test render I did with just the teeth.

Iain
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Excellent model CMT! That's good going for an hour!
I thought about the PPK but ruled it out.

Great idea, Geothefaust :thumbsup:

Nangleator
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I re-read the rules. I should have rendered to 800x600. Also, my BD-5 is available upon request.

And, dang it, I forgot my pitot tube. It's the easiest thing to model and surface. I just forgot it.

geothefaust
08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks Iain.

Man, every time I look at that dang repeating texture my eyes hurt, lol. Sorry about that guys, I should have just left it with no texture. I wont be able to upload it until after the contest is over though. :( (at work)

CMT
08-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Iain!

I haven't got much work done today cuz I've been messin' around with rendering this thing and trying new things. I'm havin' too much fun with this. I tried using an HDR image to reflect under the surface settings without radiosity turned on to see what would happen. I've never tried that before and I like the results. On this last one, I added two colored luminous polys, so it will have something else to reflect, and I really like the result.

Iain
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
We're just about out of time on this so get your entries in if you still plan to!

Well done to all those who entered.
The winner will be announced shortly.

I hope you enjoyed taking part and will have a go in the next one. It's good for satisfying that creative urge but I hope it didn't get in the way of the day job (like it did mine!)
My model is attached if anyone wants it.

Cheers!

dwburman
08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
I thought about doing the jet pack but figured that'd take more than an hour :)

CMT: I like that last render.

Recording my modeling session wouldn't have worked very well. The computer locked up 2 or 3 times during the session. I was writing down the times when I started and stopped to make sure I was under the time limit. I did have to redo some of my work due to the lock-ups.

The texturing and rendering took a lot longer than the modeling did :)

geothefaust
08-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah I hear you dwburman, I had to keep track after a crash, it was annoying, lol.

So, I'm curious, who all used 9.5 for this? I used only 9.5, and didn't do anything outside of LW other then to crop my wires image.

Anyway, it was fun. I am looking forward to the next one, and especially having much more time to texture and setup a decent render!!

Kuzey
08-20-2008, 03:24 PM
I had a crack at little Nellie and this is how far I got :)

This is fun :thumbsup:

Kuzey

JeffrySG
08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
wow the PPK came out great, CMT!

and I love the JAWS teeth... very funny idea!

great start for the Nellie, Kuzey!

JeffrySG
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Here's my model of the bowler hat...

Great first speed modeling challenge Iain! :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Model for the wrist gun attached (http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62030&stc=1&d=1219268538)
And Thanks to Iain for kicking off the modeling challenges:thumbsup:

StereoMike
08-20-2008, 04:57 PM
I hope I don't come too late to the party.
That was trickier than I thought... had to stop at this stage.
In fact this is a rather low poly thing (with an ugly mesh).
Will setup a nice render for it too.

mike

R.Feeney
08-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Nice one, I had a toy car of that when I was a young lad.

BlueApple
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Attached are the golden gun and ghetto blaster.

Great entries, everyone.

Mitja
08-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Here is my object! Just send it to layout, turn the def light off, enable radiosity, and hit F9.
Btw, great entries everyone!

Iain
08-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Good model StereoMike.

I'd like to see that rendered. I had the toy version too.

StereoMike
08-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks everyone, I had a small one too (from Corgi I think it was, just the size of a regular matchbox car)
Here it comes
(ps for colorcorrection and blurring the background a bit more)

mike

Nangleator
08-21-2008, 05:30 AM
Nice model, StereoMike. I was afraid of the Lotus.

Great voxels. Doesn't look like water spray, but save that preset for tire smoke!

StereoMike
08-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Water spray? One is stirred up sand and the other 4 emitters are for bubbles. Of which one do you speak?

btw I had this in mind:
[edit: yes an hour was hard, couldn't bring in the details I wanted, and the mesh is hacked together...]

Nangleator
08-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Oops. Totally misread that underwater picture. I thought it was on the surface skiing along like a motor boat. Silly me!

The voxels are perfect, then!

Hopper
08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Oops. Totally misread that underwater picture. I thought it was on the surface skiing along like a motor boat. Silly me!
I thought the same at first. I think it's because the bubbles are bright and they look more like the reflections on top of the water.

I like the look of this one. I'd love to see a detailed version.

Hmmmm just think how cool our 120 minute speed modeling contests are going to be!!! :D

Iain
08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Clearly an enemy gadget, but a gadget nonetheless. Modeled and textured in an hour.

A lot of the entries have a very impressive level of realism. If anyone wants to share any secrets, I'm taking notes :)

I hope you don't mind but I liked your model so I dropped it into the Maxwell scene I rendered my camera in.

(I'll never understand how people can get proportions right when they don't model in real world scale :))

BlueApple
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I hope you don't mind but I liked your model so I dropped it into the Maxwell scene I rendered my camera in.

(I'll never understand how people can get proportions right when they don't model in real world scale :))

That looks great! Don't mind at all :)

I generally do like to keep real-world scale in mind while I work, but sometimes I like to just get in there and not bother measurements.

Beautiful render, boss.

JeffrySG
08-21-2008, 08:36 PM

very nice render!

So, how is that Maxwell working out for you?? Are you using it on any jobs or just personal work? Just curious to hear your overall thoughts on it. :)

Iain
08-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Maxwell works great for certain things. These shots are just default settings and (mainly) built in preset materials.

I know they could be much better but for point and click it's impressive and only takes 30-40 minutes.

In a production scenario, I find it too limiting for arch viz. I don't have a client who will wait a few days to a week for the final after they've approved the test so it's LW and FPrime. Although Maxwell can be used to great effect by just running a quick test and picking up lighting ideas.

Last week I had a day to render a frame at 6000x4000 pixels so Maxwell was out of the question, LW wouldn't start up (it was fine and really fast up to about 4000x2400) so FPrime saved the day again.:)

Iain
08-22-2008, 03:00 AM
I had a crack at little Nellie and this is how far I got :)

This is fun :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Hope you find time to finish this-it looks great. Ambitious for 60 minutes for just about anybody right enough!

I spoke to Newtek about the judging and it seems they are snowed under at the moment so it's either a case of public vote (always unpredictable in volume of response) or someone volunteers.

I'd happily do it if that was ok with everybody-I don't want my kick off entries included anyway.

Any thoughts?

Mitja
08-22-2008, 03:45 AM
What about a poll? So everyone's entries could partecipate (even your's, if not, it wouldn't be fair!)

Iain
08-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Mitja, a poll would be perfect but you only have a max of 10 options to vote for unless we did it manually and just listed each one with an image:cry:.

Loved your zippo btw.

archijam
08-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Wait for mine! :)

Mitja
08-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Mitja, a poll would be perfect but you only have a max of 10 options to vote for unless we did it manually and just listed each one with an image:cry:.

Loved your zippo btw.

Uh, I didn't know...
Thanks, btw!

Kuzey
08-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Hope you find time to finish this-it looks great. Ambitious for 60 minutes for just about anybody right enough!

I will when I find the time...I loved doing it. I wanted to see how far I could actually get done....but boy, 1 hour does go by so fast. :D

Kuzey

JeffrySG
08-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I kind of liked the concept that this was more of a community thing and less of of a 'contest' so to speak, but considering that we have the t-shirt to give away, I personally, have no problem just letting Iain decide. In the end, I'm just happy that we have a bunch of people participating in these! :)

ps. thanks for the feedback on Maxwell too, Iain...

Nangleator
08-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Well, Iain joined in, so it would be a shame to disqualify him.

RollerJesus
08-22-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm cool with Iain deciding too but I don't think it's fair for him to not be in the contest. So how about some volunteers?

Mitja
08-22-2008, 07:30 AM
An idea would be to pick random judges (3?) for every challenge: you PM them, asking to take a look at the thread and give marks to the entries (1-5, 1-10 ?), and then make the average. This way we can involve more people in these mini challenges. Or maybe it's too complicated...Anyway, whatever you decide, is (obviously) fine for me.

Iain
08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
I'd feel awkward if I was judged the winner in one of them when I start it off and have time to think of a topic (then pick something great to model before anyone else gets a chance!)

I like the idea of involving others though. Matt Gorner springs to mind. Bit of a lw/forum stalwart.

RollerJesus
08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm just throwing this out there but maybe Exception and/or Surrealist would be willing to judge? I don't think either of those talented individuals entered anything, maybe shoot them a PM.

JeffrySG
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
I have no problem judging with a few other people if we need people. I'm not suggesting that I am a great modeler, either. ;) I just don't have a problem not being included in the contest part. :)

Iain
08-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks Patrick and Jeff.

At the risk of this being too drawn out, I've asked Matt Gorner to vote for his 3 favourites.
I'll pick mine and get a winner from there.

What I think should happen is that whoever kicks off the challenge in all future weeks should do this i.e. be a judge and nominate another who didn't take part that week.

Subject to change of course :) Any thoughts, let me know.

Cheers

Iain

JeffrySG
08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a plan! :)

Mitja
08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks Patrick and Jeff.

At the risk of this being too drawn out, I've asked Matt Gorner to vote for his 3 favourites.
I'll pick mine and get a winner from there.

What I think should happen is that whoever kicks off the challenge in all future weeks should do this i.e. be a judge and nominate another who didn't take part that week.

Subject to change of course :) Any thoughts, let me know.

Cheers

Iain

Perfect!!!

StereoMike
08-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Sounds good. What about the winner giving the next theme for the challenge?

mike

Iain
08-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Sounds good. What about the winner giving the next theme for the challenge?

mike

And kicking it off! Yeah-baton passed. How come the Jamaican and British women found it so difficult?

Iain
08-23-2008, 03:30 AM
And the first winner is.............................................

CMT with his Walther PPK. :king:

Close runner up was Voriax with the Flame Thrower Perfume Atomiser.

Congratulations guys and thanks to Matt and Neverko for judging input.

Well done to everyone who entered!
Hope to see you all in the future challenges.

Iain

Mitja
08-23-2008, 05:43 AM
Congrats CMT!!!:thumbsup:

Hopper
08-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Great work from everybody. That was fun. Now on to the Kitchen!

Nangleator
08-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Woo hoo! Congrats!

dwburman
08-23-2008, 10:24 AM
yup. congrats :)

geothefaust
08-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Congrats guys! :)

Great job to everyone who participated, It was really fun.

BlueApple
08-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Well done, everyone!

Mike Borjon
08-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Well done everyone! Congrats to all!

Thanks again Iain and now CMT the honor is yours.

voriax
08-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Cool.. Congrats CMT, yours would have gotten my vote as well :)

JeffrySG
08-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Congrats guys!!! :)

StereoMike
08-24-2008, 04:41 AM
Congratz! Well done!

mike

archijam
08-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Congrats indeed!

Pity it was over before the weekend, I was about to start mine ...

Maybe will still have a go. Such an odd film moment, love it.

Iain
08-24-2008, 06:23 AM
It's currently running Wednesday to Wednesday so you have the weekend too.

Gondola would have been cool!
I watched Goldfinger yesterday for the first time in years. It just gets better with age.

CMT
08-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks, guys! :) How cool! ....And how fun! I hope these continue on for a long time as I like seeing everyone's entrees.

OK. So what are my responsibilities now? There's already another speed modeling challenge underway, so do I need to come up with another theme then? Or will the winner of the second challenge take the torch? Doesn't really matter to me, I just want to make sure to do what's required.

RollerJesus
08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Congrats guys!

Iain
08-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks, guys! :) How cool! ....And how fun! I hope these continue on for a long time as I like seeing everyone's entrees.

OK. So what are my responsibilities now? There's already another speed modeling challenge underway, so do I need to come up with another theme then? Or will the winner of the second challenge take the torch? Doesn't really matter to me, I just want to make sure to do what's required.

Well, if you want, you could start one off after the Cooking Aids one ends on Wednesday at 22.00 GMT.

I've passed your info to Newtek.

R.Feeney
08-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice work all round and congrats to our winner CMT

abdelkarim
03-09-2010, 03:51 AM
???

abdelkarim
03-09-2010, 03:52 AM
speed Modeling challenge ????

MovieMaker1972
10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Figured out how to clone =)

Amurrell
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Old thread guys...2 years old. The speed modeling challenges are up to the 90s now.