PDA

View Full Version : Silo 2.1

Andyjaggy
08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering how many silo users are out there. With the recent release I have started to look seriously at this app. I love modo and have been debating if I should buy it or not but I am mainly looking for an alternative to Modeler at the moment and modo is awfully expensive for just modeling.

Mainly I'm wondering about the ability to deal and edit large heavy meshes in silo. What is the performance like? Better then modeler? As good as Modo?

Any known gotchyas with Silo?

Steamthrower
08-13-2008, 03:57 PM
I demo'd Silo a couple of months ago (version 2.0 I think). I really loved it, especially the sculpting, but the modeling was counter-intuitive to me at first. The interface is an absolute beauty, even better than Modo. Working with some really high-rez meshes was very easy. It seemed more responsive than Modo, which sometimes "skips" when dragging a heavy mesh around in a shaded textured view.

I ended up going with Modo because it includes a renderer and what seems to me better UV tools, and was able to get it at a nice academic price equal to Silo. I'm not going to say LW Modeler sucks, just yet, because it doesn't, but far and away both Modo and Silo feel like they are built for modeling.

EDIT: To explain it a bit more, take a simple modeling task: creating a wedding ring. In LW it took me about 5 minutes to get a nice cross-section, and make sure the sub'ds were looking nice. In Modo it took about 1 minute. Maybe I'm LW-ignorant, but either way I ended up modeling the absolute simplest object imaginable in Modo and exporting it back into LW to render. Go figure.

CMT
08-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Silo chokes on over a million polys. It slows to a crawl. But it's possible to sculpt. The modeling in Silo is pretty decent. Except there's no native bend or twist functions. On the PC side, there's been a few scripts written for those functions, but if you're on a Mac, it's a no go.

Over all I like it for quick stuff. It just feels like a speedy little modeler. Just needs some rounding off with some more specific tools. And it needs a speedier displacement sculpting solution. 1 million polys doesn't quite cut it these days. But for $99, who can argue? :)

UV tools are pretty good, IMO.

connerh
08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I bought Silo a few years back sometime around the 1.42 release, and I haven't regretted it at all. The latest release has taken care of a lot of the bugs and problems that Silos UV system was having, and it's much easier and much more predictable than it was in the 2.0 release. The displacement painting in Silo is also really swank. In general though, the workflow with Silo really clicks for me, and I'm able to pump out whatever I'm working on without feeling like I'm really being limited by my tools. In my opinion the Silo toolset works really well in a lightwave pipeline.

Andyjaggy
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
So when you say 1 million polys is that for the base mesh or the subdivided one. Cause I sure can't work with a 1 million base poly mesh in modeler. But subdivided that would be what 4 million or something depending on your subD level. So if I can throw around a 1 million base mesh then subdivided beyond that I'll be happy cause that's better then I can get in modeler.

CMT
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
No that's a a million after subdivision. Some powerful systems might be able to go to 2 million. I could only go 1 about 1.3 million max without crashing on my 2GB ram Mac. I'll check tonight on my 8 Core 4 GB ram MacPro and see how Silo 2.1 performs.

Sarford
08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I got 2.0 but hardly ever use it. I guess I'm too lazy to learn it. Their tweek tool is quite nice though. And I use it for making UV's. Still, it manipulation tools are kinda arkward.

Andyjaggy
08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Well guess I'll just download it and give it a try.

JeffrySG
08-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I've been using Silo since 1.4, and I truly love it. If I did organic modeling more often I'd be using it all the time. I haven't really used the sculpting tools too much, though. I think the interface/workflow is the most sublime out there! My biggest issue is that it's not really geared towards hard surface subd work too well. V.2 helped with that a bit by improving the numeric panel, but they still have a ways to go on that end. That was one of the reasons I ended up getting LW. I find that modeling in silo is the one place where I don't really think about the software, just model away... it's very intuitive in my mind, especially once you set up some shortcut keys!

I would definitely give it a week or two with the demo, and set up some shortcut keys to get used to it. Silo also uses sticky keys, so tapping a key is different than holding it down.

Andyjaggy
08-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Well we are getting pretty mixed reviews here, but I think for 140 bucks it sounds like a nice compliment to LW. I'll try out the demo tomorrow, load up some objects and see how the mesh editing speed compares, if it's better then LW I will definitely consider it.

JeffrySG
08-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I think it's worth a try, either way. I would just keep in mind that the feel of the app is totally different than LW. So you might need to just give it some time to get used to it before you can really judge for yourself. :)

CMT
08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
OK. I just got my new 8 core Mac Pro about a month ago and haven't tried sculpting in Silo on it yet, but I was surprised when I tried tonight.

The first time I tried to sub-d a model over a million, it "unexpectedly quit". Ok. I'll try again.

The second time, I used the human mesh primitive that comes with the new Silo and Sub'd it to just over 4 million polys. No crash, but it took about 15-20 seconds to subdivide it that last step. Nice.

Reatime preview is pretty slow obviously, but workable. But I was surprised by how fast the strokes were being applied. It wasn't half bad at all! :) I might just spend a bit more time in this since it works on my Mac. :dance:

Andyjaggy
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Well I downloaded the trial and have been playing around with it. It's way different then LW and I'm having a hard time getting into it, unlike Modo where it just seemed to click for me. I'll try to actually do something in it but I'm not sure how well I'm going to like it though. Love the interface though, what I would give for a shiny new interface in LW.

CMT
08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Well I downloaded the trial and have been playing around with it. It's way different then LW and I'm having a hard time getting into it, unlike Modo where it just seemed to click for me.

Does Modo have any good tools for posing a model? I've been considering adding it to my toolset and that would increase the chance of me picking it up.

Andyjaggy
08-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I think so. Not a character person though, so I couldn't say for sure.

Andyjaggy
08-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Well not sure what to think at this point. Editing speed really doesn't seem to be that much better then LW which is my main reason for wanting to ditch LW at the moment. Silo seems really great for organic stuff but there are a lot of tools I use regularly in LW that I'm not finding any replacement for in Silo.

Love the interface, the sculpting looks like it is pretty useful. But Modo has everything I want except for the pricetag so I might just hold out till I have the extra dough.

colkai
08-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey everyone, I was wondering how many silo users are out there. With the recent release I have started to look seriously at this app. I love modo and have been debating if I should buy it or not but I am mainly looking for an alternative to Modeler at the moment and modo is awfully expensive for just modeling.

Mainly I'm wondering about the ability to deal and edit large heavy meshes in silo. What is the performance like? Better then modeler? As good as Modo?

Any known gotchyas with Silo?

I've just downloaded the 2.1 but need to get installing it.
The thing that historically dissuaded me from using Silo alongside LW is the export/import and sizing issues - things never seemed to stay the right size for me.
Granted, that may now have changed, I intend to check it out when I have time, (hah! yeah right! - like that ever happens :D ).

JeffrySG
08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Well not sure what to think at this point. Editing speed really doesn't seem to be that much better then LW which is my main reason for wanting to ditch LW at the moment. Silo seems really great for organic stuff but there are a lot of tools I use regularly in LW that I'm not finding any replacement for in Silo.

Love the interface, the sculpting looks like it is pretty useful. But Modo has everything I want except for the pricetag so I might just hold out till I have the extra dough.

Just out of curiosity, what were you thinking of doing in Silo? What type of modeling work?

cresshead
08-14-2008, 11:48 AM
re modo for posing...from the training vid i bought on modo [i'm not a modo user but was interested in seeing what it can do] then flex us doable for posing but it's slow and boring to set up fringer joints etc...bones would be the way to go but modo doesn't hav'em
so i'd pose in a full app like lightwave, maya,3dsmax,cinema,messiah,houdini or xsi

Andyjaggy
08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Well I mostly do hard body work. silo looks way more geared towards organic stuff. No sheer tool or bend tool or twist tool or stencil tool or splines etc....... I liked the snapping though.

JeffrySG
08-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Well I mostly do hard body work. silo looks way more geared towards organic stuff. No sheer tool or bend tool or twist tool or stencil tool or splines etc....... I liked the snapping though.

Yes, one of the reasons that I purchased LW was because, Silo was just not really hard body modeling friendly. And don't get me wrong you can do great hard body work in it, but just not the same way as LW.

I'm still glad I bought Silo for $99 bucks when I did, but if I didn't own it already, and I had LW, and I was just looking to mostly do hard body work, then I don't think I'd get it.

But I still love the interface and workflow!