PDA

View Full Version : Linking Macs!

sean hargreaves
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not knowledgeable about the inner workings of computers. Is it possible to have two Macs linked together and thereby producing twice the power?

s

JeffrySG
08-14-2008, 08:25 AM
For what specifically?

There are all different ways to utilize more than one computer for different tasks, but the solution might be different for each case. Are you looking to make a rendering farm?

Scazzino
08-14-2008, 09:50 AM
If you mean using multiple Macs to render... Here's some information on setting up a Mac LightWave render farm and how LightWave ScreamerNet works on the Mac...

Mastering LightWave ScreamerNet for Mac OS X
(http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html)
:beerchug:

sean hargreaves
08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I just want more horsepower. I want to render faster.

Scazzino, that link is'nt opening up for some reason!

sean hargreaves
08-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Scazzino, it opened up. Thanks!

LW_Will
08-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, there is a Beowulf Cluster type program called Qmaster (I think). Basically, it is a universal render farm for different applications. FCP, Color, and a bunch of other programs can use it. It comes with programs that will use it.

Free as in Beer...

RonGC
08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, i have FCP studio and the Apple Qmaster distributed processing engine is part of it, it is very easy to use and quite powerful.

Apple Qmaster can utilize tasks from Shake, Autodesk Maya, and any UNIX command-line program.

There is also Apples Xgrid for cluster computing, however applications have to be written for xgrid compatibility. LW, as it has been previously discussed on this forum, will not in the fore see-able future be Xgrid compatible.

Ron

Caveboy
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
If you mean using multiple Macs to render... Here's some information on setting up a Mac LightWave render farm and how LightWave ScreamerNet works on the Mac...

Mastering LightWave ScreamerNet for Mac OS X
(http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html)
:beerchug:
I heard that there might be difference between macs and PCs, but what about Mac with PPC and Mac with Intel? Is there a difference that would cause artifacts?

Scazzino
08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I heard that there might be difference between macs and PCs, but what about Mac with PPC and Mac with Intel? Is there a difference that would cause artifacts?

Well there could be... you also need totally different versions of any plugins... and there are file path differences, so you'd have to use a third party render controller that can remap all the file paths on the fly (Like ScreamerNet Controller for OS X (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/))... the built-in controller doesn't do that...

rakker16mm
08-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I have FCP Studio and I have have used Quartermaster when compressing for DVDs, but I haven't really thought about suing it elsewhere. I'd like to know more if it can be used with LightWave.

PeteS
08-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I use screamernet on a network of 4. All works great! Fast, and I don't need to come back to set up scenes to render on the weekends!