PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.5 .OBJ enhancement question

PaQ
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone,

I hope it's right place for my question.

It seems that 9.5 will come with a 'better' .obj import feature. Does it means, by any chance, that Lightwave will correctly import vertex normal data from .obj files ?

I'm playing quite a lot with MoI (Moment Of Inspiration) for the moment, and this vertex normal map is really important to get nice rendering from this nurbs models.

If not, maybe .fbx is a workaround to import this kind of data ?

Any feedback from 9.5 users is welcome !

Thanks for reading, and sorry for all the mistakes :)

Andyjaggy
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes we do have vertex normal support now. At least for importing objects. So good news fr you. Tried it on some CAD data a while ago and it worked like a charm.

Ztreem
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
LW now supports both vertex normals and .mtl files.
it also exports vertex normals, which is great and can be used in LW to do things impossible before.

PaQ
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks a lot Andyjaggy for this quick reply.

That's indeed a reallly great improvement !!!

Andyjaggy
08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah it's one of those improvements they haven't really listed anywhere but is a big deal. They probably figured it's something they should have had anyway so why advertise it. :)

Lewis
08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Yep vertex maps work mighty fine now, you even can export *.MAX object form 3dS Max to *.OBJ and Lw will import it with Vertex map properly.

IMI
08-13-2008, 05:15 PM
All I have to say is it's about time. It was getting kinda embarrassing having to defend LW's inability to do what most of the lesser apps have been doing well for years....

LightFreeze
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
be very careful with objects in 9.5, it doesn`t support groups and if you save from 9.5 you will overwrite your file and lose all the group information

jin choung
08-22-2008, 01:18 AM
actually, we have vertex normals support in the surfaces but is there any way to CREATE this smoothing data in lw? or are you stuck in just importing?

cuz if we have the capability to read such edge smoothing data, it would be nice to be able to create it and use it instead of relying on the old way of either using that threshold slider or actually unwelding....

jin

mattc
08-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Not yet.

Ztreem
08-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Everytime you export an .obj LW creates vertex normals, just load it back in and save it as a lwo and you have created a lwo with vertexnormals. Works fine. Could have been done in a easier and better way but this is better then nothing.
This makes it possible to do things in LW that was not possible before 9.5, like objects splitted in pieces that have no smoothing errors along the splitted edges.

jin choung
08-22-2008, 12:08 PM
actually, i'm more concerned about the almost inverse situation - can i save an object with unwelded edges to get "hard edges" and then export, bring it back and then MERGE the edges and still have the hard edge shading preserved?

anyhoo, i hope this is just a stopgap... shouldn't be too hard to make a vmap containing this data.

jin

Ztreem
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes, that is possible as well.

jin choung
08-22-2008, 12:46 PM
sweet. thanks for the info.

well it's inflexible as all getout but it'll do for a final smoothing pass on an object i guess. hopefully they'll address this with an in lw ui but it'll do....

jin