PDA

View Full Version : Where is the feature list for LW8?

thelocknar
07-30-2003, 06:34 AM
I would like to see a comprehensive breakdown of the new features in LW8, so that I can decide if I want to upgrade.

Unconfirmed rumors, wishlists, and a few tantalizing videos are not enough to go on. I have 24 hours to make up my mind, in order to take advantage of the DFX+ upgrade deal. Can someone please point me to a comprehensive, detailed, confirmed feature list?

hrgiger
07-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Not everything is being revealed at Siggraph, some is being saved for afterwards so there is no complete feature list right now.
And as far as I Know, the DFX promotion was being extended, so I think it's ok not to buy right this moment or anything.

Bionic Antboy
07-30-2003, 10:25 AM
Even though there is no comprehensive list yet, just the stuff they showed yesterday sold me. :)

The new programming staff has done an INCREDIBLE job, what with the enhancements to bones, hard and soft body dynamics. Stellar stuff, and exactly what I was hoping for. They've really come a long way in integrating MD, particles and bones into a more seamless package.

Seeing bones reacting in real time to wind effects was just too cool. :)

Stranahan
07-30-2003, 10:41 AM
You'll have more than 24 hours to make your buying decision..

But of course, the sooner you buy the sooner you get to start using DFX+!

TyVole
07-30-2003, 10:52 AM
According to this, the deal ends tomorrow:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/07-29-03a.html

Is this incorrect?

hrgiger
07-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Newtek announced sometime in the last week that the DFX deal would be extended.

Dodgy
07-30-2003, 12:04 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8707

Try here, this is the stuff I saw on the stream last night...

robinson
07-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Stranahan
But of course, the sooner you buy the sooner you get to start using DFX+!

ROFL

I'm waiting for seven weeks right now Lee. :(

TyVole
07-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Newtek announced sometime in the last week that the DFX deal would be extended.

Hrigger,

This comes directly from Newtek's LW8 press release on the home page (the bold is mine):

"Through July 31st, 2003, upgrades will include also includes DFX+ and Modules 1 and 4 at no additional cost. "

Stranahan
07-30-2003, 03:10 PM
That's what that says - and I'm saying, don't worry.

riki
07-30-2003, 08:06 PM
The whole upgrade deal is really great, but how do I purchase a copy in Sydney?

thelocknar
07-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Stranahan
That's what that says - and I'm saying, don't worry.

You are being deliberately evasive.

If you have a feature list for LW8, then let's have it!

If Newtek is going to extend the deal, then they should do it!

Trying to scare their customers into making upgrade decisions based on very little information, just because they are afraid they will "miss out" on some special deal is a pretty lousy way to do business, in my opinion.

thelocknar
07-30-2003, 09:34 PM
For Newtek's future reference, here is the correct way to introduce a new product. In this order:

1 - Details
2 - Demo
3 - Deal

First, give a comprehensive list of features of the new product. Convince the customer why buying / upgrading would be a good idea. Second, demonstrate the product in action. Provide, perhaps, a downloadable trial version. Third, extend a special limited-time offer as a futher incentive to buy.

In the case of Lightwave 8, it is exactly the opposite. The Deal came first, now the Demo, and then perhaps sometime in the future we will get some Details. Hopefully, the Details will come before the Deal runs out, but for now it's pure frustration. Newtek has to realize that this gives the appearance that they have not much to offer in Lightwave 8, and are instead relying on hype and desparation to sell the product.

policarpo
07-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by thelocknar
For Newtek's future reference, here is the correct way to introduce a new product. In this order:

1 - Details
2 - Demo
3 - Deal

First, give a comprehensive list of features of the new product. Convince the customer why buying / upgrading would be a good idea. Second, demonstrate the product in action. Provide, perhaps, a downloadable trial version. Third, extend a special limited-time offer as a futher incentive to buy.

In the case of Lightwave 8, it is exactly the opposite. The Deal came first, now the Demo, and then perhaps sometime in the future we will get some Details. Hopefully, the Details will come before the Deal runs out, but for now it's pure frustration. Newtek has to realize that this gives the appearance that they have not much to offer in Lightwave 8, and are instead relying on hype and desparation to sell the product.

dude...just call NewTek tomorrow...there is a 1.800 number ya know. and relax...it ain't the end of the world...

policarpo
07-30-2003, 10:24 PM
sorry...didn't mean to double post.

woopsy. ;)

mr_nebel
07-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by riki
The whole upgrade deal is really great, but how do I purchase a copy in Sydney?

New Magic were offering the deal back in June so you could try emailing them and checking if they still have it.

js33
07-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Well I upgraded to 8 without knowing ANYTHING about it because of the DFX deal which I got from Keyframe mag 3 days after I ordered it.:D Oh and I got a seperate dongle for DFX also. I guess I got lucky and got one of the last of the first batch.

I figured 8 would be alright but after seeing the streams from Sig it looks like 8 will kick ***** also. :D

Cheers,
JS