PDA

View Full Version : Is there a huge difference????

virtualcomposer
08-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Hey everyone,
is there a huge difference between a macpro 2.66 quad and the macpro 8 cores? I've seen the test on photoshop and other stuff on the apple site but wondered how LW stood the test in render time.

larkis
08-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey everyone,
is there a huge difference between a macpro 2.66 quad and the macpro 8 cores? I've seen the test on photoshop and other stuff on the apple site but wondered how LW stood the test in render time.

I have two 8 core mac pro's and can tell you that the more cores the better for applications like lightwave. I also had a G5 Quad and photoshop was not drastically faster on the 8 cores compared to the g5 quad. Photoshop has less components that can scale well across multiple cores. You can observe this by looking at the cpu utilization in the activity monitor.

Lightwave as well as modo and similar applications benefit greatly from multi core systems. This difference is mostly felt during render time and not nearly as much while modeling and animating. That aspect will be improved by a better graphics card more than your computers cpu (and newtek fixing lightwave on the mac).

Also keep in mind that the amount of ram matters a lot to, some applications such as After Effects or compressor spawn multiple processes that are double threaded so each of those require their own ram allocation. You can actually slow a system down to a crawl once you cross the sweet spot between the number of instances and memory usage (this also goes for screamer net instances).

clagman
08-14-2008, 08:07 AM
LW can handle up to 16 cores and is very close to linear increases in speed for each core. So going from 8 to 16 is close to double the rendering speed. Adobe products use additional processors when they can but with Photoshop the main increase is when using certain filters. After Effects is much more memory constrained so it won't scale as well as LW but it is still quite a lot!