PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.5 Fbx importer help

rosferatu
08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I've been trying to import fbx into lightwave, from Maya and Motionbuilder without any luck for a few days. Ive used all the Autodesk Fbx converters to downgrade my fbx files to ver 5.3 from motion Builder. Ive tried to export from maya in ver 5.3 and have not bieng able to fbx import into lightwave.

Ive used lightwave versions 8, 8.3, 8.5, 9.2, and now 9.5.
Ive tried versions of fbx convertor 2006.08, 2006.11, 2006.11_1, 2006.11 _2, 2009.1
And four different versions of the fbx Plugin for lightwave. FbxLW80 53.p, Fbxlw.p, and the new versions that come with lightwave ver 9.2 and 9.5.

I have had a bit of success with a few of these versions, but it has not been seamless:devil:. Some versions just the models goes across, some the bones, some a bit of animation on effectors and MOST just crash lightwave apon attempting to open.

Ive read on this and other forums that people have had problem and get this conversion to work. If you know what convertor and/or what importer to use please post link or any other help.

rosferatu
08-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Anyone who has had success please let me know??

colkai
08-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Using LW8.5 with the plugin FXBLW80.p I never had a problem merging files.
With LW9.5 - I find I have to have a t-pose key at frame zero to get it to work sometimes and yes, as it stands, I have had varying degrees of success getting files from Motionbuilder5.5 into LW.

IF the rig originated in LW, then LW8.5 with the old plugin always gave expected results using merge into my 'setup' scene. It's something I want to do some serious testing on as I don't think it should be this problematic.

rosferatu
08-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Could it be that im using MB7.5 and before ver 6. Seams to crash every time i import. Can you tell me about your work flow? Do you take animation and blend shapes across?

3dworks
08-14-2008, 07:23 AM
i'm trying to get the motion builder 7.5 demo character + motion file from axyz

http://www.axyz-design.com/axyz-design-3d-humans-characters-products-demos.php

into LW 9.5, but had no success. if someone knows the trick, please post it here...

markus

colkai
08-14-2008, 09:13 AM
I do take across animation but not blend shapes. Never had a problem pulling in the plotted data. Providing I plot to the skeleton, drops into LW nicely in LW8.5 all I have to do then is reset the rotation on my reference null at frame zero.

3dworks
08-14-2008, 10:53 AM
i thought the new valkyrie plugin would do the job, err get the job done... :stumped:

markus

colkai
08-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I thought that too, but alas, it has issues, at least with the stuff I've tried.
I have pinned it down to the fact that, unlike the old 9.31 plugin with 'merge' - the new one expects a T-pose so you can re-reset the bones, otherwise all funky things happen.
It also has issues with how rigs / meshes are parented and the resulting load of an FBX does not behave as expected.
I think some problems stem from the MB side, how it stores info and if that info (such as MB nurbs) are actually accessible for export purposes. Other things however seem to stem from trouble interpreting the bones/mesh/parenting.

I have FogBugz'd this and updated the info to give very clear indicators of the problem, I can only presume Newtek are looking at it, it's so very easily reproduced that I don't think it would be difficult to see the problem.
Fixing it mind you, ahh, now that is quite another matter.

KiteGlider
08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
related to topic, I was hoping that the LW95 FBX export would work better with UV textures. The geometry exports , but the UV maps are wrong.

I'm using entire scenes with terrain, objects, and basic animation, to make ambient environments for my game projects.

The best results have been with Polytrans including FBX export plugin.
Polytrans works perfect, and all the UV textures are mapped correctly,
but the LW95 FBX export has no UV map export! The textures are goofed up.

Oh well, good thing I have Polytrans, but it would have been sweet to just do a one step from LW.

Good luck on your importing and thanks for posting the test of all the versions.

cresshead
08-05-2009, 08:49 AM
does 9.6 ship with a fbx importer?
i can't esem to locate it.

Tobian
08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
File> Load object or Scene :)

My first test came in as a giant exploded 90 degrees of tangent nightmare though :D So we went back to OBJ :)

cresshead
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
> unkown scene format?

are you using lightwave 9.6?

using load object, just brings in the object..no animation, no bones, no deforming....zip!

edited> calmed down now!

Tobian
08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes 9.6 - A friend of mine sent me a model he saved out in FBX format from Max (the previous version to the current version, because of the issues with Vray) - it did open - completely borked, but it did load - all the pieces...

It loaded fine for me in both layout, and scene editor...

monovich
08-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I was just trying to import a car model from Maya via FBX and the parts came in scattered all over the place in both modeler and layout.

I ended up using OBJ.

IMI
08-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I was just trying to import a car model from Maya via FBX and the parts came in scattered all over the place in both modeler and layout.

I ended up using OBJ.

Just a long shot guess here, but did you freeze transformations before exporting from Maya?
My experience with FBX and LW is that the geometry is generally OK, but everything else is FUBAR.

Tobian
08-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Yep that's pretty much what I got, and yes, the guy had frozen all transforms and collapsed the history stack, it just didn't work right, annoyingly!

MiniFireDragon
08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I thought u couldn't fully/properly import FBX or Collada because of lightwaves rotation system being non standard. And there is no way to program around it. Which is why Collada and FBX never got fully fixed in the 9.6 release.

GoranBackman
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I can report LW10 has fbx problems still. I just tried to export a multiple UVs object from Maya and LW only took in map1. Modo imports it just fine so it's not Maya's exporter that is the problem.

mclarkson
03-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm still getting pretty variable results, as well.