PDA

View Full Version : 2 Toys on my desktop...

policarpo
02-23-2003, 06:23 PM
a little experiment i did using our beloved Image World plug-in...sorry for the grain but i was at home on my slow machine. :D

http://www.policarpo.net/cgi-bin/images/graphics/blog/021235-big.jpg

Zombat
02-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Wow. The guy with the purple pants looks really really realistic...the other guy somehow dosent tho.... Really, really nice work.

policarpo
02-23-2003, 08:44 PM
doh!

the one on the right is the fake toy...the other toy is real...it's the character from Nightmare Before Christmas. :):D

HowardM
02-23-2003, 09:15 PM
ha! ..thats funny!
finishing touch would be to boost that toys specularity with an extra spec light and match it to the real toy!

So you used Image world and radiosity?

robpauza
02-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Hey Policarpo,

I think the main reason it doesn't quite match is because it's too sharp compared to the rest of the image. Maybe try the soft filter on it. The low radiosity grain helps it I think, because there is similar "digital" grain on the photo. Also I agree with HowardM on turning up the spec a bit.

Looking good, as always though.

-Rob

Zombat
02-24-2003, 05:45 AM
:rolleyes:
There's my ability to pay attention to small details. Still cool.

anieves
02-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi policarpo, I think it is the specular what is giving it away; also the actual exposure doesn't match. Maybe adjusting the brightness, levels or curves in photoshop...

Lynx3d
02-24-2003, 08:35 AM
Nice work!

But the guy lacks a shadow i think...
if you have a look at the purple toy he has one, although he almost completely occludes it

policarpo
02-24-2003, 09:53 AM
thanks for the feedback everyone....i'll post an update when i get a chance. :)

Mebek
02-24-2003, 11:12 AM
The photo is being lit by the flash on the camera, whereas the CG toy is not. If you put a "flash" light (no play on words intended) in the scene so he's casting a shadow directly behind him, it would probably look better. And yes, he needs to be blurred too.

-or-

Point-and-shoot cameras can't focus that close - you would need to use the macro lens on an SLR or macro setting on a digital camera. I'm assuming that you're using a digital camera (by the fact that you have a CompactFlash card in the background). If your camera has a macro setting (and most do), try using it for this scene to keep the objects in the foreground in focus. Even then, there would probably be some amount of blurring needed. I always take my CG scenes into Photoshop and apply a Gaussian Blur at about 0.5 pixels to make them look like photos.

Really neat idea, though, and it is looking really cool. I wonder why I haven't tried doing this! :)

policarpo
02-24-2003, 03:59 PM
didn't have a whole lot of time today...but here it is...i guess i could tweak it some more.

this one is from a slightly different angle...

http://www.policarpo.net/cgi-bin/images/graphics/blog/021236-big.jpg

Epita
02-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, it sure looks like it belongs there now, only the spec/refelction of the CG is not real enough, still seams to flat to be in real life. Great improvement, i shoud do this too (wonder where i can fit a 1.7 km long battleship in my room?)

Epita

HowardM
02-24-2003, 05:38 PM
much better, but still more spec!
look at the nightmares base, black with white hotspots...so the rendered toys feet should look like that...and his pants have no spec...he needs to be more overall plastic and less radiosity! hehe

also, his angle isnt the same as the video, look at his shadow...look at his perspective...he looks like he is falling off the table.
:)

oracle
02-24-2003, 10:28 PM
I think if you add a bump to his hair to break up the spec, it'll help it look more realistic too.

Gui Lo
02-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Hi policarpo,
The toy looks great.
I think you also need to add a very small blurred reflection.

I tried to do a similiar compositing theme.
See attached.

I used all the stuff that normally makes an image look crappy. Such as very low Radiosity, Soft Filter, high & coloured Ambient Intensity and low saturation.

Also I used a dummy object that was similier in shape to a real object(your flash card or cd cases) to get the right perspective, zoom, ect.

From this I produced

Chinese New Year (http://homepage.mac.com/valanchan/iMovieTheater12.html)
and
Cindys Near Miss (http://homepage.mac.com/valanchan/iMovieTheater13.html)

Zombat
02-25-2003, 05:57 AM
The two movies were cool, Gui lo, but the texturing on the wheels, and the bottom of the car need a lot of help. It was real untill you saw the bottom, or when it flipped over. I think it'd look better if it rolled completely, and you saw some bouncing on the springs.

Poli - the new image looks great! I can barely distinguish the real from the fake - the only problem is that the shadow behind it is sharp - not blended like the other toy's. Use a area light..or linear.

policarpo
02-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Awesome little tests Gui Lo...thanks for the bits of inspiration.:D

Gui Lo
02-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Thanks Zombat, but they are tests only. Your suggestions are worth doing and I will probably revisit them later.

In some ways it is preferable for it to look obviously fake. Some people pass it off as two shots of video composited until I point out the lack of deformation and detail.

No problem policarpo.
Post an update.