PDA

View Full Version : the conspiracy theory

sailor
07-30-2003, 03:32 AM
Hello there,

i really hate the conspiracy stuff but definately there is something that i havent seen before in my consumer life and i would like someone at NT to explain it for the sake of mental health...

the MODO interface looks like what LW 8 interface therads showed the first days...very DFX like (dark gray and yellow) that means that Lux people not only did a modeler that looked like the old LW modeler but that they try to catch up LW8 design and make a LW 8 like interface color scheme? this is a little bit too much of a coincidence dont ou think? i know they are not supposed to work together but...come on....

also notice that Lee was going to post modeler 8 feature list in a few days...still nothing in here (and with all this MODO threads out there its about time dont you think?)....

I'm probably wrong with the idea that NT and Lux still have contacts and are trying to do something together...but i would like to know more...at least i'd like to have an idea of the future developpement of LW because what until yesterday looks like exciting news can turn to a nightmare if people that makes decisions feels like they (LUX and NT) are playing a strange game :)

Yog
07-30-2003, 04:17 AM
For somebody who doesn't like conspiracy theories, you sure come out with enough ;)

It has been said by different people that are close to both parties (Newtek and Lux), that there is NO relationship.

If I were a guessing person I would say that a number of people slated to work on LW's Modeler upped sticks and went with Lux, hence Newtek playing catchup in that area.

Modo looks like LW ? - sure it does, most of the people who worked on Modo also previously worked on LW, simple as that.

sailor
07-30-2003, 04:25 AM
ok then...but isnt there any copyright about how the interface looks? sorry for my ignorance about this one...

but then you mean that MODO gray/yellow design and new LW8/DFX grey/yellow is a pure coincidence? while there is a certain partnership between DFX and NT you mean there is none between NT and LUX ? so this means= coincidence...

you said that it was stated that there wasnt any relationship between NT and LUX...of course this is what is said officially...in this point i suppose you dont have more proofs than i have right?

so yes all this is speculation for the fun of it and also maybe to make some official NT or Lux move...because conspiracy or not we have to agree that this annoucements are causing some harm to the "lightwave community" and the way they see the future of they favorite product no? there have been conspiarcies theories elaborate on much weak arguments you must admit....

colkai
07-30-2003, 04:50 AM
You are forgetting one thing Sailor
It can also look like MAYA or MAX, does that mean there is a consipracy between Lux and everyone?

Lux and Newtek and split - apart - competitors, maybe at times downright hostile.
There's a whole new team at Newtek - I think the final split (resolvment of 'issues') means never the two shall meet.

That's fine - let 'em both develop as they will.

For sure, plenty of folk saying Modo is what LW should be - should kept the team - ya-da ya-da ya-da. Truth is, Modo is just another app in the 3D world, choice is good!

Any takers - if they develop a renderer / layout - it will be called 'Renda' ? :D

TyVole
07-30-2003, 05:00 AM
Blade (Speed Razor) also has a similar interface to DF. So, possibly it's just the new thing.

kevman3d
07-30-2003, 05:01 AM
I think you're right, it does sound like a secret conspiracy! :(

It looks like the evil Doctor Peebler has stolen NewTek's "MoDo" and plans to use it to take over the (rendering) world!

Totally unshaggadelic, baby... Yeh...

Sorry - Its late! :D

sailor
07-30-2003, 05:06 AM
"You are forgetting one thing Sailor
It can also look like MAYA or MAX, does that mean there is a consipracy between Lux and everyone?"

that is a good one :)....at least the looking like Maya is a Joke...sure its nice to have a way to customize your interface in a "maya flavor" but it needs more than what Modo shows until here to look like Maya...anyways i dont expect to do so because i like having differnt interfaces but i find funny that someone could be thinking tha MODO interface looks like Maya....it doesnt looks at all like Maya...ah yes there is an "attribute editor" window in there and a "command" window here...come on...

my point was about how things were peresneted lately on this forums...the fact that there was this "interface thread" the DFX factor and the fact that Lee said that there was going to be a modeler 8 feature preview in here...Modo is out and still nothing...

anyways dont take it too serious because i'm not ;) i was just surprised by all this "coincidences" remember as weel that when G5 (and lux app) was announced everybody was pretty sure Lux was going to show an animation package...how is that?

hihhihhi

eggy
07-30-2003, 06:00 AM
LOL

Oh wait 3ds max is a lot becoming like maya, mmmmhhhh maybe (conspiracy conspiracy conspiracy )

We will see, but wouldn’t surprise me if Luxology is developing the next Lightwave Modeler, yeah I meant for Lightwave.
Newtek just showed improvements on the Layouter they never showed any new Modeller features and even said there is nothing changed in modeller.

Is there really a marked for a new modeller ? I don’t really think so, the Luxology guys need a partner, like Newtek or PMG, or they need to develop some kind of animation package on there own. But still is there really a marked for an absolutely new 3D package ???

Dodgy
07-30-2003, 06:27 AM
It's the not even the second day of siggraph, give it a rest....

Mike_RB
07-30-2003, 06:31 AM
"ok then...but isnt there any copyright about how the interface looks? sorry for my ignorance about this one... "

The person who ownes the copyright for LW modeler is also the same person behind Modo. I doubt its an issue.

Mike

sailor
07-30-2003, 06:36 AM
good point then Mike but if it is not an issue for Modo is it an issue for Modeler? i mean unless the guys at Lux dont care about what modler looks like in 8 what is the dael here in your opinion?
will they keep a control on modeler or not?

labuzz
07-30-2003, 06:40 AM
Be ready! There's no Modeler in LW8...You will be able to use the 7.5 one + a few plugs no more ...Just speculation but dont forget Mr Ferguson own most of the modeler...
After PMG and now Lux, lightwave is loosing a lot....Really sad in the end:(
Au passage, salut les bouffeurs de grenouilles:)

CB_3D
07-30-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by labuzz
Be ready! There's no Modeler in LW8...You will be able to use the 7.5 one + a few plugs no more ...Just speculation but dont forget Mr Ferguson own most of the modeler...
After PMG and now Lux, lightwave is loosing a lot....Really sad in the end:(
Au passage, salut les bouffeurs de grenouilles:)

Nonsense. Newtek already stated otherwise.

jb_gfx
07-30-2003, 06:54 AM
Humm, Modo's gui doesn't looks like LW at all. Yes there is an options to arrange it the LW (XSI, Maya...) way but by default it's really different (with icons.. bah!).

Even the color scheme is way different than actual LW's one and not really near the preview Newtek's shows us for [8].

And even... you can't put a COPYRIGHT on some RGB values.. LOL
Silly thread really ;P

sailor
07-30-2003, 07:18 AM
i'm not saying there could be copyrights on RGB values

the thread was more about the incredible coincidence between LW8 color scheme announcement, the DFX deal (look at DFx color scheme) and now the standard Modo color scheme....

u can compare that to the actual LW modeler color scheme a total change...you agree that the first proposal from Nt that you can find here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8241&pagenumber=1

looks astonishing close to what Modo color scheme is ...
http://www.luxology.net/event/2003/siggraph/img/modo-UV.jpg

maybe its a pure coincidence but knowing there are so many color scheme possible i wondered this

maybe it is just a matter of "fashion" or maybe not that is all i was pointing...

shermanlu
07-30-2003, 07:42 AM
In my opinion, the coincidence of interface is not our main concern... LUX did a very good job on MODO... even though LUX has many steps behind NewTek in term of complete a package for all 3D users/customers. the way of modo goes is somewhat Modeler should go... NT still need to show us the improvement of Modeler... I believe... NT can make it in the next few months before 8. released... otherwise... how can NT says ...

LightWave 3D [8] Includes:

Improved workflow in Layout and Modeler
.....etc.

we have all seen Layout yesterday...impressive...but, where's Modeler???

CB_3D
07-30-2003, 08:01 AM
The modo interface is (at least the "LW look") quite beautyfull. This morphing panel technology is impressive, too.
I don´t think that the two posted examples support whatever conspiracy theory. The L8 mockup is downright ugly in direct comparison (unfortunately, i have to say)

Mike_RB
07-30-2003, 08:16 AM
I don't think they are copying ideas off eachother, I think both are going back to more like what 4.0 looked like:

http://personal.southern.edu/~dascott/lwhistory/Large/1995-LW40-modeler.gif

colkai
07-30-2003, 08:25 AM
Suddenly,
I feel all warm and fuzzy. Must be nostalgia - either that or my pants need changing :p

shermanlu
07-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Talk about the conspiracy theory...no...no...the strategy of NT has had so far... by not showing the modeler...or ignore to talk about it is a smart move....
NT can look at what competitors' moves(Lux, Messiah, Max, Maya...etc.) & what we(customers) have said(requests)...then decide their moves...humm...smart chess player...NT!!!:p

cgolchert
07-30-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by sailor
the MODO interface looks like what LW 8 interface therads showed the first days...very DFX like

You mean Modo's working interface looks like the "Photoshoped Mockups" that were posted?

I don't think there is a conspiracy... I just think the dark color scheme is the current trend right now.

meshmaster
07-30-2003, 10:24 AM
and Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein have secretly purchased Newtek. They have plans to use it to dominate the world with a massive attack of polygonal warriors on viral nodes... because they can't use real warriors as they don't have any more of them left. They got the money for this purchase from long time secret business partner - George Bush (http://www.americanfreepress.net/10_07_01/Bush___Bin_Laden_-_George_W__B/bush___bin_laden_-_george_w__b.html)

Noclar7
07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
conspiracy ???? why.. whatever do you mean??

mattclary
07-30-2003, 10:34 AM
I just saw that in an e-mail from Discreet!!!! How freakin weird is that?!

hrgiger
07-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Actually, I heard that Saddam and Osama are modeling a fleet of 747's (you may have heard about this on NPR) in the .lwo format. They plan on keyframing them at frame 0 in front of any buildings you may have modeled and keyframing them at frame 10 behind the building you have modeled and then activating the new rigid body dynamics. Obviously, these planes will be traveling at a high rate of speed along either the X or Z axises. Make sure as a precaution you keep all of your people models out of the building until further notice. Unless they're poser models in which case I say, serves em' right.

cgolchert
07-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Noclar7
conspiracy ???? why.. whatever do you mean??

I always liked this one....

hrgiger
07-30-2003, 11:04 AM
That's really funny cgolchert. I've actually seen that before and had that thought, I'd totally forgotten about that one...

meshmaster
07-30-2003, 01:17 PM
http://www.geocities.com/bsdhive2/mwyrm.jpg
Spiral Dancers from White Wolf!

or Newgrange

http://www.irishclans.com/articles/g/newgrangecurbstone-lg.gif

Adrian Lopez
07-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Tried posting an attachment, didn't work. I'll try again.

Adrian Lopez
07-30-2003, 03:37 PM
From www.debian.org:

sailor
07-30-2003, 03:42 PM
and what about this !!!

Anttij77
07-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Spiral logo's huh? Check this out http://www.splorp.com/critique/

Matt
07-30-2003, 06:38 PM
someone has probably said this already, but Modo will have been in development for some time so I doubt Luxology copied any designs from the interface thread!

just coincidence!

I think it looks cool anyway!

riki
07-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Copyright gets carried away to rediculous extremes, especially on the web. I've seen sites that think they have copyright on certain Hex Decimal colour codes like #333333 and programmers placing copyright on snippets of code for things like basic javascripted rollovers.

Earl
07-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Yeah...but at least we ALL know who started the 3d swirl thing.

*pats his LW box* there there, they didn't mean to scare you. You're still the best swirl in the world.... the others just dye their hair to LOOK like you...

colkai
07-31-2003, 02:51 AM
Glad you said "3D swirl",
because the swirl itself seems linked to human consciousness for a long time. It crops up in Celtic design, and designs long before that.

I think, accident or not, it was a genious stroke of marketing.
Heh, my wife saw a pair of Clarks sandals and commented that the design on the sole "looks just like the Lightwave logo"
:D

philip
07-31-2003, 04:05 AM
obviously the name "modo" stands for "modeler double", they stole NT's source code and plan to release it a couple of weeks before NT does.

that's where the second meaning of modo kicks in: "more dough"

sailor
07-31-2003, 05:02 AM
:) personally i dont like that much the "modo" name but well we have to get used maybe

after all it sounds a little bit like Nendo ...BTW i havent tried WIngs 3d (that name is even worse i think) but isnt wings 3d simply Nendo? i just looked the interface and it is exactly the same thing?...i tried Nendo sometime ago...it is a nice modeler but i wont say it kick ***...you know when you come to model character LW modler or Nendo is just great and intutive and fast...but personally i started having more problems when i came to model more accurate things...without snaps and some proper spline modeling under certain circumstances you really need other than a plain subdiv modeler really

damn i'm OT sorry :D

Mike_RB
07-31-2003, 08:04 AM
"they stole NT's source code "

This is really ignorant. Stuart Furgeson owns the copyright to modeler 7.5. It's not NT's source code by any means, im sure they have secured permission to use Stu's code, and to continue developing it past 7.5 without stuart, but I betcha a certain % of every upgrade dollar to newtek still gets to Stu and Allen's pockets as royalty cheques. Of course Modo is going to look and feel like LW modeler, the man who owns the original codebase wrote it.

Mike

ChrisS
07-31-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Mike_RB
I don't think they are copying ideas off eachother, I think both are going back to more like what 4.0 looked like:

http://personal.southern.edu/~dascott/lwhistory/Large/1995-LW40-modeler.gif

Thank you for posting that.
The consiracy has been people saying the mock-up (which was just a mock up folks, let's not get excited!) is copied from DF.
Lightwave had that interface look version 5.0 and earlier.

As for modo, I couldn't care less.