PDA

View Full Version : Is it me?

colkai
08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Is it me, am I misunderstanding?
Just over at CGTalk, there is a thread about Newtek sponsoring challenges there

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5320551#post5320551

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick, but I can't see how it would benefit Newtek given the fact that CGTalk is, well, CGTalk.

I wonder, what do people think would be a good way to, ahem, expose Lw, (blush). ;)

Also, if challenges were sponsored, wherever, do you think a seat of LW is a "viable" prize or would you expect 3rd party software or hardware to be "worth your while" participating.

I'm am most definitely NOT looking to start fights here, but genuinely curious to see what people constitute as effective exposure and what they would, as general Bods looking for freebies, want out of it.

If we keep this constructive and sensible, I don't see why this can't produce some ideas for Newtek to play around with. What I hope doesn't happen is it descends into "what's wrong with Newtek LW" territory, or similar.

As I stated over at CGT, for me, the old Infommercials in 3DWorld were a nice little tool which, not just gave LW exposure, but showcased individual artists, (you know who you are :D ).
As to challenges, a copy of LWCAD3 surely is up there as a "must have" prize? :)

beverins
08-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I think anything that helps to bring their products out to the forefront is better.

Newtek really, really needs to destroy the "huh? Lightwave? That's still around?" attitude.

At least get the name out there. If people want to lay into it with "it sux for character animation", then so be it. At least they know the product is THERE.

mattclary
08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Is it me, am I misunderstanding?
Just over at CGTalk, there is a thread about Newtek sponsoring challenges there

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5320551#post5320551

I may be getting the wrong end of the stick, but I can't see how it would benefit Newtek given the fact that CGTalk is, well, CGTalk.

That makes more sense than doing it here. Doing it here strikes me as preaching to the converted.

JBT27
08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, there's plenty of posts dotted around that relate tales of how colleagues do double-takes when they see something that LW can do, but they can't so easily with their app. So taking it 'out there' is the way to go.

Lots of double-takes and startled-rabbit looks is what's needed from the great unwashed.....err....I mean non-LW users :D

Agreed that doing same thing here is not much point, unless there's a bundle of fab plugins on offer as the prize.....but then many hardcore users have all that and more, so definitely time for LW to leave home and get out in the big wide nasty bitching cgi world :D

Julian.

bobakabob
08-12-2008, 05:01 PM
There are some CGTalk members who can be somewhat snooty about LW but the site is a major CGI hub on the web so it surely makes sense to publicise Lightwave there as opposed to preaching to the converted on smaller sites?

Hopper
08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
It would seem to be common sense to focus more of your marketing to people that are not your customers "yet". You can only sell so much of your product to people that you've already sold to. The object is to have a bigger book of business than your competition. If you were a small company that was happy with your size and income from re-occurring business, that would be just fine, but I'm fairly certain that this practice is not in NT's business plan.

Effective exposure for commercial products is well.... everywhere you possibly can within a reasonable budget. CGTalk would definately be one of those places. It's a major hub for industry professionals and it doesn't cost them anything to promote their products with contests etc... You would think almost all "free" marketing is good marketing as long as it's presented properly.

colkai
08-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Heh,
Guess it is just me then! :p
I just figured, getting out in print might be more fruitful, especially as the challenges tend to be done by people who have really made their own choices on software already.

I dunno, it could be that the 'down the nose' attitude one tends to get over there when talking LW makes me think it wouldn't exactly be a conducive audience. Whereas putting money into large adverts in the likes of Digital Arts and 3D World may attract those who are less partisan in their opinions and indeed, have yet to make a choice of preferred software.

As I have said though, I do think the "Huh? Lightwave?" thing needs to be addressed, just not somewhere where raising it's name tends to be followed with a "it's dying" tirade.

When you see posts saying how LW sucks compared Blender and is "one big mistake", well, you wonder if it's worth "talking" to that crowd. (Yup, trust me, that posts does exist).