PDA

View Full Version : Graph editor frame range

Stunt Pixels
08-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Is there a way to set a certain frame range to display in the graph editor, and have it stay on that range when I select a different object?

Further explanation:
Say I have a scene that is several hundred frames long with numerous items, and I want to go back and tweak the curves on various items for a certain frame range. This is much easier if I zoom in to work with just that frame range. I can do that with mouse/keyboard commands, or via the "Numeric limits" option, but the graph editor resets to the default frame range any time I pick a new item to tweak... I'd like an option similar to Layout, with numeric start and end frames that persist when I select a new object. Is this possible?

Surrealist.
08-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Well I don't have a direct answer to your question. There may be a way I am not aware of to do what you want.

But if you change your workflow slightly, you can load up all the objects into the bin and even create a favorite set for those objects. You can then just scroll through the channels and load them into the graph editor from the bin and they won't disrupt the numeric setting. Should not be too much different than loading each object you want into the bin. The first time would take some tedious set up but create a favorite set and you'll have easy access to those objects.

Stunt Pixels
08-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the idea Richard, that's kind of what I'm doing - it's slightly different in that I have quite a few favorite sets. It's not too hard to work around, but when the channel bin get full of any XYZ, HPB, and err scale XYZ that are required, then it really disrupts my work flow to pick out the object and channel in the list.

I've had more or a look, and re-read the manuals, and I don't think there is a way to define a temporary frame range to use. Oh well, feature request it is!

Cheers

Surrealist.
08-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Yeah, kind of a strange one. I think because it was designed with this kind of work flow in mind. Would be great to have that feature though. Also it will honor the last frame of the scene, so if that will help you could at least set the last frame of the scene as you go and dial in from there. I have no idea why it would not honor the first frame of the range as well. If it would, problem solved. Just adjust your layout frame range.

Stunt Pixels
08-12-2008, 04:20 AM
Seems to only respect the last frame set in the layout as long as the selected item doesn't have any keys past that frame... Bugger...

I put in the feature request, but also said that an easier option may be an option to use layout's first and last frame as the default range, so we're on the same wavelength.

Cheers

Surrealist.
08-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Sorry. I did not test it that far. OK. So much for that. But yes, that would seem an easy way to do it.

meshpig
09-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Seems to only respect the last frame set in the layout as long as the selected item doesn't have any keys past that frame... Bugger...

I put in the feature request, but also said that an easier option may be an option to use layout's first and last frame as the default range, so we're on the same wavelength.

Cheers

Feature request? What about motion mixer.

m