PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Streaming: pause archive?

jwyatt
08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
We have been using a Canopus encoder and PC running WM Encoder to stream events which often contain an intermission. In WM Encoder, there is a menu allowing you to "pause" the archive file, while the stream continues to run. This allows live viewers to keep an active stream during the break, and see the event continue when they start again, while eliminating that 15-minute interval of meaningless video from the archive file which is posted to the web for on-demand streaming nearly immediately after the event is finished.

With the Tricaster, we can stream from the box, but we're unable to find a way to pause the archiving of the file. Whichever state the "archive to file" option is in when streaming starts, cannot be changed without stopping the stream.

Any chance of this being added as a feature? We're running from the Tricaster to the Canopus now, which requires a second computer. With 10+ events each week, I don't have time to edit/cut/render the files to remove the intermissions.

Thanks!
-JDW

Paul Lara
08-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Good idea; I've copied this request to the TriCaster Features forum.

csandy
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
:agree: That's a great idea. I have felt a need for this feature on long sessions where the breaks are less then relevant to the viewing audience.

MMI
09-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Ditto for me. With my events, it's the "meal sessions" that cause the problem.

Example: Host opens session, welcome, intros head table, sets theme and invites people to "enjoy their meal", 30 min. meal, session resumes with keynote, awards, etc.

That 30+ min. meal service without the ability to pause the archive file means no live archiving on the server. It's not acceptable to our clients. We have to wait until the event ends, edit the meal portion out, and then upload the edited session to the server. Makes for a long night!