PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for Speed Modelling?

Iain
08-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Seems like most Forums have tried this but now even that strangest of online communities that is Evermotion is having quite a successful go at it.

If you've never done it, you're given a subject (post box, lamp, zombie etc), then find or design a reference and model it as well as you can in the given time. Usually 1 or 2 hours.

Entries are judged and the winner is announced and sometimes even awarded a small prize (Newtek?:)).

There should be a seperate forum for topic suggestions and a new one could be announced every week.

What I think would be really great would be a high quality model bank being set up for LW users from all the entries but that's optional as not everyone likes giving things away.

Opinions?

Matt
08-11-2008, 06:35 AM
I think smaller competitions like this work better than the bigger ones, people are more likely to have a go then!

akademus
08-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Sure!!!

roger1972
08-11-2008, 12:04 PM
i'm in too :) Don't need a prize, just fame and glory...

geothefaust
08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Count me in. I like speed modeling.

MooseDog
08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
another vote yes. i've done a couple of these things in the past, and they're pretty fun!

Nangleator
08-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Yes, I don't have time for the long contests. On speed modeling, I'll either do well or learn something and have a great laugh at myself.

akademus
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
i'm in too :) Don't need a prize, just fame and glory...

and chicks... you forgot the chicks... mmm chicken (homer drooling)

Nangleator
08-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Should the modeling tests be about generic things, so that we use our imaginations, or specific things, so we're all trying to model the same exact thing?

Like, either model a tank, or a M-5 Stuart...

(But you can't pick up chicks in a tank.)

akademus
08-11-2008, 02:56 PM
(But you can't pick up chicks in a tank.)

Says who??? :goodluck:

Iain
08-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I think the subject should be specific enough to make the judging straight forward but leaving scope for imagination.

Still open to opinion though.

Look at this 3dTotal one for example.........
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=60245

Thermometer is the subject but all kinds are acceptable.

Lewis
08-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Sounds good and would be cool if we could/should RECORD that modeling sesion for two reasons. 1. Modleing Time would be accurate and 2. We would get mini-video-tutorial(s) :) :).

Iain
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Good to see some interest :thumbsup:

Lewis, recording would be very useful as it's all about learning how others model but I don't think it should be a stipulation. Might put too many people off.

arrow1234
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
omg, i have seen some speed painting videos on youtube, and they are awesome, fast and clean.

i cant imagine what speed modelling would be, i m very very interested to see that.

i m not a fast modeller, i bet i can challenge a Slow Modelling competition and beat everyone :P

BlueApple
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
This is a good idea, as is the suggestion of doing video tutorials. I would happily donate any models, assuming folks found them useful.

What time/times would this be held at? There are some substantial time zone differences to consider.

Iain
08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
You're not racing, it's just against the clock so time zones are irrelevant unless you want to be the first entrant to post (that seems to be quite common for some reason!)

I think we could run them over a week so you can take your time and when you have the hour or two hours, just do it.

Lewis
08-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Should we have separate part of forum for that and some kind of Moderator (Ben maybe :D??) who would have time to post subject, rules, time schedule... ??

Iain
08-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Should we have separate part of forum for that and some kind of Moderator (Ben maybe :D??) who would have time to post subject, rules, time schedule... ??

That would be ideal. Not so easy here though as all the Moderators are Newtek employees (I think).

Maybe we try to involve Ben in the first instance. Or William Vaughan might take an interest as he mentioned it before.

Anyway I'm off to bed.

Lewis
08-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I doubt proton would have time for such project :(. Either way it's NT moderator that we need for that part :D.

Iain
08-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Maybe we should just have a trial go without NT involvement. If it has enough interest we could then ask for a Forum/Sticky/whatever.

Any suggestions for a topic?

akademus
08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Awesome. If needed I can setup ftp (some 300GBs) for video upload. Or we can go youtube...

Puguglybonehead
08-12-2008, 05:43 AM
Speed Modelling is a great idea! That was one of my favorite things about the C4D forum I used to go to. Topics can be almost anything. Usually 1 to 3 words to describe the topic. That way it leaves things pretty open to the imagination.

StereoMike
08-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Never done it before, but I'd like to try :)

Count me in!

mike

Lewis
08-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Problem is with mess what will come in to Topics (all the comments and questions) and none of us can't edit topics after 5 min so we can't clean it or keep it clean just for ON topic or images only :). We would need Topic post (clean) WIP topic for users and final stuff in single topic.

Iain
08-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Problem is with mess what will come in to Topics (all the comments and questions) and none of us can't edit topics after 5 min so we can't clean it or keep it clean just for ON topic or images only :). We would need Topic post (clean) WIP topic for users and final stuff in single topic.

I like the way Threedy do it.
One thread per topic. No WIPs but you post a wireframe with your render.

Seems to work ok but there is the problem of the 5 minute limit here.

cresshead
08-12-2008, 06:15 AM
hey i'd have a go...i'm not great at modeling but what the heck!

The Dommo
08-12-2008, 06:21 AM
As and when I get time, I could join in :)

Nangleator
08-12-2008, 07:10 AM
We'd better not take suggestions from the "Favorite thing to model" thread.

First suggestion: Tim Burton's bathtub.

benhaines
08-12-2008, 08:05 AM
I would be happy to host the competitions at PresetCentral.

Make them searchable, taggable, etc. just like presets.

Matt, what do you think? I'm sure Ben V would be happy to moderate... be the judge ;)

Lewis
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
That sounds very good, Presetcentral could use little more attention/traffic now when it's back on track :).

benhaines
08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
More traffic... not sure the server will cope ;)

So we are basically talking about competitions with a set time limit.

Entrants to the competition will want/have to upload

- LWO
- Render of the object
- Video/Timelapse?

Have I missed anything?

Lewis
08-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Video/timelapse should be OPTIONAL and we should find some FREE recording SW (if there is any) so that all can use it if they want without need to spend money on recording SW just to get in contest :).

Iain
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I would be happy to host the competitions at PresetCentral.

Make them searchable, taggable, etc. just like presets.

Matt, what do you think? I'm sure Ben V would be happy to moderate... be the judge ;)

That would be good, I think. Are you going to have a VB Forum style set up?

benhaines
08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
No, it would be something designed to fit in with the rest of the design. Besides trying to incorporate a bulleting style board into PresetCentral has never been the plan.

Funny enough, bulletin boards is one thing LightWave has enough of... SQ, NT, CGTalk, etc...

Iain
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Funny enough, bulletin boards is one thing LightWave has enough of... SQ, NT, CGTalk, etc...

You're probably right. I think they work for challenges like this though.

benhaines
08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
I agree... you certainly want to be able to debate an end result. As you'll see tomorrow you can post comments (without all the emoticons) linked to presets.

Anyway. Lets see what NT can put together for us here ;)

JonW
08-13-2008, 02:50 AM
If I could apply speed modelling to the drawings that architects give me I would be very very happy!

Iain
08-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Forgot to mention it here bit it's on:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=734566#post734566

Newtek are offering a t-shirt to the winner.

Mitja
08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
I saw this (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87433) thread, but I posted here, as Iain told us to do.
I have a quick question: we must model AND render in a maximum of 60mins?
Or the 60mins is just for the modeling part?

Thanks!

Iain
08-14-2008, 09:15 AM
60 minutes is just for the modelling. Take as long as you like for texture and render.

Glad somebody paid attention about not clogging up the other thread :thumbsup:

Mitja
08-14-2008, 09:32 AM
60 minutes is just for the modelling. Take as long as you like for texture and render.

Glad somebody paid attention about not clogging up the other thread :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Always at your commands, sir!

RollerJesus
08-15-2008, 07:51 AM
I made a bond gadget; it took 45 minutes to model and it looks like a prop from an Atari 2600 game compared to Iain's... Nice render and wires, especially for only spending an hour on it.

Not going to bother posting but I'll give it another shot next week now that I know where the bar sits.

Iain
08-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I really didn't want people to feel like that Rollerjesus. The intention was to get a bit of positive posting going on and improve our modelling skills.

Remember the modelling is 60 minutes. Rendrering and texturing can take as long as you like.

My model has serious errors (especially at the flash). It doesn't even slide shut but I didn't have anymore time.

Mitja
08-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I started to model something too, but right now I have no time!
And 60 mins seems too short, for me. Maybe you could decide to increase the time for the next challenge..?
(I have the Rollerjesus syndrome)

colkai
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I really didn't want people to feel like that Rollerjesus. The intention was to get a bit of positive posting going on and improve our modelling skills.
I agree, I know it's difficult, heck I always think anything I do sucks, but this sort of thing does improve your skills.
To prove it, do the same model a couple of times, what's the betting you do it quicker / better as you become more comfortable with the modelling process and start to think more about the model itself.
Indeed, if you think 60 mins is too short, just do a 10 minute model, then do it again, then trust yourself. ;)

I don't rate my skills, but having started the Serenity tutorial at F3D, I do know, my skills have improved. This sort of "for fun" challenge is just what you sometimes need to get the old synapses firing again. :)

RollerJesus
08-15-2008, 12:04 PM

I absolutely understand that was not your intention and I did learn a lot from trying it out and had lots of fun doing it. But it is a contest and you set the bar pretty high for a lot of the folks out there who don't have those kinds of modeling chops (particularly sub-d stuff).

Nonetheless, I'm going to try own your *** again next week, so come up with a good topic. :thumbsup:

TripD
08-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds like big fun. How about a simple idea like inventing and modeling a coin. Simple, yet lends itself to individuality.

Hopper
08-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Well .. I tried. :)

I finally got my textures and lights right and Layout crashed twice. The first time I hadn't saved it... Doh! The second time it wouldn't get past calculating the GI. Then, I ran out of time.

So here was the first pass. I hadn't set the SubD level higher than default so there's faceting all over the place and you can't see the texture at all. I had toned down the "blade" around the rim so it wasn't so obvious, but that didn't make it into this render, so it looks horrible.

Total time: 52 minutes. (Includes making the so-so wood grain texture in CS3)
The hat actually took all of about 10 minutes. The rest was fighting textures and Layout.

I'll try to get a better one out sometime. Keep in mind I totally suck at texturing because I don't understand 90% of it yet.

Hopper
08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
crap .. I just posted this in the wrong place didn't I .. :thumbsdow

archijam
08-20-2008, 08:49 AM
I can't believe no-one has attempted this yet ...

http://www.ransackery.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/goldfinger-woman.jpg

Nangleator
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
In an hour? Can you use Poser?

StereoMike
08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I think a pair of boobs should be possible in an hour.
And boobs (plus attached woman) are a must in a bond movie.

mike

Iain
08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I think a pair of boobs should be possible in an hour.
And boobs (plus attached woman) are a must in a bond movie.

mike

Get on with it then!

I had a similar experience to Bond waking up next to the Goldfinger woman. The b***ards had sprayed her orange though.

archijam
08-21-2008, 01:02 AM
I had a similar experience to Bond waking up next to the Goldfinger woman. The b***ards had sprayed her orange though.

Sounds like you were in Switzerland during the EM football tournament this year ... those dastardly Dutch ... :tsktsk:

Iain
08-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Sounds like you were in Switzerland during the EM football tournament this year ... those dastardly Dutch ... :tsktsk:

As it turned out, she had just overdone the fake tan going for that beautiful orange glow. She went a stark white at the ears. Hard to spot through beer goggles and pub lighting.

Ah the good old bachelor days :eek:

archijam
08-28-2008, 05:14 AM
Iain - Just a suggestion:
Perhaps we can comment on the renders - the best materials can (with permission) be submitted to Preset Central .. alot of nice textures coming through on these entries ..

Nice progress so far with the challenges!

Iain
08-28-2008, 06:03 AM
Iain - Just a suggestion:
Perhaps we can comment on the renders - the best materials can (with permission) be submitted to Preset Central ..

Don't see why not. There have been some good materials and renders coming through.

Matt's brushed metal is proving popular :)