PDA

View Full Version : VST PlugIns for SpeedEDIT VT

Ty Whitaker
08-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I need to replace my beloved SoundForge DirectX audio plugins (WaveHammer, Noise Reduction, Normalization, AutoDuck, ect.) with some good VST equivalents so I can use them in my Super Incredible Killer VT5.

Can anyone recommend some that they like for VT. Many thanks.

Also, does anyone know if we can use the skins from the vst filters instead of the basic one in edit properties?

Ty

Snu
08-11-2008, 03:06 AM
http://www.kvraudio.com/ <-- awesome resource for finding vst's.
speededit doesnt like some vsts tho, so its a good idea to test a few different ones.
unfortunately, i have yet to find a good noise reduction plugin that works well in vt5.
i havnt used any directx plugins, so i dont know what the other ones you mentioned do - but if you tell me a specific effect you are looking for, i can suggest a plugin for it....
wavehammer sounds like a distortion maybe? im not sure why you would need a plugin for normalization, unless its a compressor?

Snu
08-11-2008, 03:13 AM
grr, sorry for the double post, but apparently you can only edit messages 5 minutes after you post them....

if the vst has a gui, you can view it by setting a pane in speededit to control tree, then clicking the 'custom' tab next to splines. some vst dont have a gui tho.

ScorpioProd
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I used to use a great sidechain compressor for ducking under in Vegas, it's called SideKick, but unfortunately it's not one of the VSTs that can work with SpeedEDIT.

Also note that you really are going to only want VSTs with a custom GUI in SpeedEDIT, since it's not really practical to use ones without it the way SpeedEDIT can't give their "real" values in the control tree.

Ty Whitaker
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks ScorpioProd and Snu.

Yes I noticed that the vst control in speededit was a generic one and not the one that comes with the vst. I didn't know about the gui and spline info. I'll try that.

The normalizer I guess just levels out your audio so it has less dynamic range.
Wave Hammer is a expander compressor that really works well for dramatically bad audio. Like when I had a China conference that someone taped from the back of the room with a camera mic. Wave Hammer allowed me to pump up the audio and SF noise reduction let me eq out the air conditioner.

After I said autoduck I saw one called autoduck on the web. I don't know if it will work either. I wish SideKick would work. That would be cool.

I'll check out KVRAudio

ScorpioProd
08-12-2008, 12:04 AM
SideKick is a bit of a hack, since it creates interprocess communication, which is the only way to do something that would involve two different audio sources interacting in the same plug-in.

There is no way this can work with SpeedEdit since SpeedEDIT doesn't support filters ATTACHED to clips. So it is impossible for SideKick to see two different audio clips as "different".

Snu
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
for expander and compressor, i use a combination of the built in compressor in speededit and 'bluegate' from the blueline vst pack (http://www.digilogue.de/). they are old, but good. unfortunately, speededit has some issues with bluegate's interface, the dials control the wrong variables... yet another thing im hoping newtek will fix in the next release.

you also might want to check out stardust (http://www.aodix.com/pagestardust.html), it has both wideband and multiband compressors, along with other very useful features... havnt tried it with vt tho (i write music, so i use vsts with other software).

a few other nice ones ill list real quick (you'll have to search for them yourself :p ):
gvst plugins - various high quality plugins with very slick guis
mda plugin pack - has a ton of very useful plugins, no gui on any of them tho...
super impulse reverb - the absolute best reverb ever
dominion - enhancer, tube amp modeller
nyquisteq - very slick eq, no frequency guides tho, you have to play it by ear...
tobybear productions (http://www.tobybear.de/products.html) - tons of useful, and often somewhat unusual plugins

the last time i needed to use noise reduction, i just used audacity. a vst would be very nice tho - save some steps.

Ty Whitaker
08-13-2008, 03:31 PM
You know, I hadn't thought of Audacity. I have it on the computer with a zillion of those lapsda? filters and vst bridge. I may just use that.

Thanks Snu
Thanks Eugene

Ty Whitaker
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Snu thanks for the recommendations. I am going to research all the ones you suggested. Just what I was looking for.