PDA

View Full Version : LW9.3 and HDInstance problem - random movement of instances

kopperdrake
08-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Running latest HD Instance on LW9.3 64bit on XP Pro 64 - first time I've used weight maps to distribute several types of instanced object over one surface and I'm getting this weird dancing of instances. The parent objects are not moving at all .

If I dump the weight maps so the instances are distributed over the entire surface then it seems to be okay - am I using weight maps wrongly?

Anyone else had this?

I should say, if I use weight maps on one instance layer on an object then it also works - so I can have reeds by the river, but not reeds by the river and hedges edging the canal, unless I put the canal edges into a different object.

kopperdrake
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
After a bit of playing it seems to be something to do with the main light source being a shadowmap - I've swapped out the tree that was causing the issue, and also turned ray-traced lights back on.

3DGFXStudios
08-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Strange!?

kopperdrake
08-11-2008, 02:45 AM
And it still didn't fix it!

I've had to resort to having only one instance layer per object, and cloning the object I'm adding HDI for each additional instance type I'd like. Weird but it's working...

JBT27
08-13-2008, 05:27 AM
It's not directly related, but I just started working with HD Instance 2 and have seen some odd and unexpected moves from instances. Not far enough along to pin it down, but it broke the flow and has me worried.

Need to look more at this before I start using it under-fire.

Julian.

fyffe
08-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I've had to resort to having only one instance layer per object, and cloning the object I'm adding HDI for each additional instance type I'd like. Weird but it's working...

Ow, yeah, there is some kind of bug between HD Instance and vertex maps. I haven't tracked this one down yet.