PDA

View Full Version : Opening to the Olympics, WOW!

Talc
08-08-2008, 06:41 PM
If i could get that kind of vision into my animations i'd be sorted. It was awsome. My next job needs 2008 drummers. 20,000 fireworks with a crew of 600 half the national dept of Brazil & a producer that always says "that sounds cool, go for it!"

Brown must be bobbing himself & looking to the chancellor of the exchequer, saying "No way!"

So here we go. There's a lightwave job in the offing, who's keen? :bday:

Nangleator
08-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I just want that LCD panel. I'm old and my eyes have trouble with my two 21's.

Paul_Boland
08-09-2008, 01:35 PM
It was very impressive but this is one Olympics I won't be following because all I see is the news reports of people crying because their homes were demolished, they made homeless, they getting no compensation what so ever, just thrown out on the street, the government don't give a damn about them. So I'm not watching this Olympics and I didn't watch all the opening either, I only saw about ten minutes of it while having lunch.

BOO :thumbsdow!!

moc
08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Paul...
I don't suggest you accept both the dark side of the Activity.
But I think it worth to see what the opening looks like.

IMHO,
If you think the China O game make their people homeless,and you won't watch the game.
Do you know how many people were killed at the Iraq Attack.
Is it related to Iraq's democracy or just it's oil?
So do you need to do something?Don't use America's goods/software??..

Paul_Boland
08-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Sorry, Moc, didn't mean to turn this into a political discussion. I don't want to get into my views on the Iraq war, it will just fuel more decission, but I just didn't like the way peoples homes were taken from them just for the Olmpics when that event alone will bring in loads of money to China. There was no need for it. I saw the opening of the Olmpics, the countdown and the drummers, very impressive, but I didn't watch it beyond that.

Talc
08-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Just been told big chunks of the openning were CGI anyway. More work for us then!

Hopper
08-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I turned on the TV to watch once... All I got was the end of the fencing competition and badminton.. Badminton? Who the hell made an olympic sport out of this lame activity? I didn't see Olympic Croquet or better yet ... Olympic lawn darts. Off it went.

Jim_C
08-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Badminton? Who the hell made an olympic sport out of this lame activity? .

The shuttlecock is the fastest moving piece of sports equipment clocking speeds at over 200mph.

:D

Hopper
08-15-2008, 08:17 PM
The shuttlecock is the fastest moving piece of sports equipment clocking speeds at over 200mph.

:D
Absolutely ... blazing speed at lengths of almost .25 seconds... Just before it yawns itself over the net at a blazing speed of November....

It's like watching the Matrix camera trick .. over and over and over and over again ... :D

Paul_Boland
08-16-2008, 12:46 PM
And the girl who sang at the Olympics, wasn't actually singing.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Beijing-Olympics-Girl-Singer-Mimed-At-Opening-Ceremony/Article/200808215076378?lid=ARTICLE_15076378_Beijing%20Oly mpics:%20Girl%20Singer%20Mimed%20At%20Opening%20Ce remony&lpos=searchresults

Jim_C
08-16-2008, 01:18 PM
And the girl who sang at the Olympics, wasn't actually singing.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Beijing-Olympics-Girl-Singer-Mimed-At-Opening-Ceremony/Article/200808215076378?lid=ARTICLE_15076378_Beijing%20Oly mpics:%20Girl%20Singer%20Mimed%20At%20Opening%20Ce remony&lpos=searchresults

You must not watch the Super Bowl.

inquisitive
08-16-2008, 08:39 PM
You must not watch the Super Bowl.

Seems this is a different issue. The real singer was not allowed to sing because she was not "pretty" enough so they replaced her with someone else who pretended to sing.

starbase1
08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
There seems to have been very little fuss about the CGI fireworks compared to what I expected... I say we use our skills to take things further.

Never mind a few glowing footprints, I say that for the UK Olympics we arrange for a flyby of an imperial star destroyer, a Minbari cruiser, and half a dozen pterodactyls.

And post process the footage that's released to the news to make the wife of the Chinese premier look like the wife of the French premiere.

Jim_C
08-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Seems this is a different issue. The real singer was not allowed to sing because she was not "pretty" enough so they replaced her with someone else who pretended to sing.

It's still fooling the audience into hearing something they are not actually seeing.

If this took place in the US, the little singer girl never would have been chosen in the first place due to her looks. Regardless of her voice.

USA: Sorry sweetie, we LOVE you, fantastic voice. You sing like an angel, but your appearance is just not what we are going for. NEXT!!

China: Sorry sweetie, we LOVE you, fantastic voice. You sing like an angel, but your appearance is just not what we are going for.So we will have you sing and give you the credit for singing, but a prettier girl will lipsync.

RedBull
08-18-2008, 02:50 AM
The Milli Vanilli or Ashley Simpson effect.. :) It reminded me of this song i liked from 1991... (I also like the attractive chick model who sings in the filmclip) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_arN-h6axI

She actually pretends to sing a lot at the end, but in actual fact the actual singer was revealed to be a 300 pound red headed chick who just wasn't "TV Pretty" fact of life i guess.

Back OT, I loved the China opening Olympics, thought it was a good mix of culture and technology on a grand scale.

Meanwhile Australia is 3rd overall in the tally count, considering America has 500million and China has Billions, that's not a bad effort for a country with only 20million people. Micheal Phelps from the USA would technically be around 5th overall... :) But personally i thought X-Games 14, was much more exciting to watch as a sporting event...

Stunt Pixels
08-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Meanwhile Australia is 3rd overall in the tally count, considering America has 500million and China has Billions, that's not a bad effort for a country with only 20million people. Micheal Phelps from the USA would technically be around 5th overall... :) But personally i thought X-Games 14, was much more exciting to watch as a sporting event...
Australia being 3rd won't last long now that the athletics are on... Now if they put a beer at the finish line, we'd be in with a shot! I find the olympics pretty boring too. Much prefer to watch the winter games.

Iain
08-18-2008, 02:59 AM
What about Andie MacDowell in Greystoke?

Glenn Close was dubbed over her voice because the quality of her accent and acting didn't match her looks.

RedBull
08-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Australia being 3rd won't last long now that the athletics are on... Now if they put a beer at the finish line, we'd be in with a shot! I find the olympics pretty boring too. Much prefer to watch the winter games.

Hehehe, Yep i agree.... Although it appears the US have mis-fired a bit on the athletics so far too, Jamaica and Kenya seem to be winning everything. :)
Australia also failed on Mens cycling and swimming, which was a surprise, although Phelps didn't make that bit easy i guess.... :)

I think i'm only watching because of the decent HD coverage, however ESPNHD's XGames coverage the other week in MPEG4 was outstanding in comparison.

PS.. If only they would of thought of dubbing "Nikki Webster" ;)