PDA

View Full Version : Allow Numerical Entry in the Clip Trimmer!

Quiet1onTheSet
08-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Currently, I appreciate the fact that I can highlight a clip, then hold ALT+ Arrow Left (or Arrow Right) to nudge the clip in either direction), and see its position update in that handy clip trimmer gadget, plus pull off some other nifty things.

That "trim bay" in VT-EDIT and SpeedEDIT is quite convenient -- only, I think it'd be nicer still if we could highlight and type in the numerical display windows, for quick changes to clip length, start position, etc.

What action(s) specifically, do you folks use that panel for (other than to manage "Audio or Video Enable", or to get a quick glance at clip location, length and status?

Q1
BTW, what does NewTek call that area of the SpeedEDIT or VT-EDIT interface, anyway?

ScorpioProd
08-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Ah, Peter... You can do what you describe right now.

Highlight it and type in whatever numbers you want.

Ty Whitaker
08-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Eugene is right. This is a great feature I use this all the time.

Suppose you're given a list of in and outs for an interview that will be the bed of the video. Just throw the whole interview on the timeline. Highlight the TC in the in window. Hit Enter. It will automatically highlight the out TC. Type in your out and Enter again. Now hit copy and paste so the clip is duplicated behind itself on the timeline and repeat the process. You can lay out the whole interview in minutes.

Now hit T for timeline ripple. You can click and drag the in and out windows in the trimmer to tweak the spaces between clips and clean up a bit.

Throw some b-roll on there. Hit Alt-F for dissolves. Now if your b-roll shots need to be tweaked you can "slip-and-slide" the clips. Highlight the clip or clips. I think you hold down ALT-Shift, then you can click and and drag the clips back and forth without moving your transitions.

I know alot of people already know this but it was so cool when I found it that I'm kinda goofy about sharing it. It's even faster in Storyboard mode

Quiet1onTheSet
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Ah, Peter... You can do what you describe right now.

Highlight it and type in whatever numbers you want.

Thanks Eugene. Yeah, I poorly described what I'm really wishing for -- We have the ability to define clip length -- but not START position. That's currently ghosted.

Here's what I'm suggesting for a feature improvement:

After selecting a clip you'd like to reposition, highlight the numerical window called "START"in the Trim Bay, then type in a timecode over the existing START position-indicator numerals.

Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
08-10-2008, 02:10 PM
...Suppose you're given a list of in and outs for an interview that will be the bed of the video. Just throw the whole interview on the timeline. Highlight the Timecode in the IN-point window. Hit Enter. It will automatically highlight the OU- pont timecode.

Type in your OUT-point and Enter again. Now hit copy and paste so the clip is duplicated behind itself on the timeline and repeat the process. You can lay out the whole interview in minutes.

Now hit T for timeline ripple. You can click and drag the in and out windows in the trimmer to tweak the spaces between clips and clean up a bit.

And to increase by tenfold, the precision of that last step, hold down CTRL while dragging within the IN and/or OUT indicator windows.

Good application of the Trim Bay, there Ty. Thanks for sharing it.

Q1

Ty Whitaker
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks Q1

I can't believe I blanked on that.

billmi
08-11-2008, 06:32 AM
After selecting a clip you'd like to reposition, highlight the numerical window called "START"in the Trim Bay, then type in a timecode over the existing START position-indicator numerals.

If you type in a timecode in the "Offset" box, the clip will have its start point offset to that position, which for all practical purposes is the same effect as having typed it into the start box. In fact I'm kind of confused as to why it's a separate box, since any time I've changed the off-set the start automatically matches it. Perhaps there's more to it that I'm not getting.

Now you've got my curiosity piqued.

Most folks would simply drag a clip to a new position in the timeline to change its start point. What workflow are you doing that would be eased by typing in a start point?

Quiet1onTheSet
08-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Now you've got my curiosity piqued.

Most folks would simply drag a clip to a new position in the timeline to change its start point. What workflow are you doing that would be eased by typing in a start point?
Hah! Good question, Bill.

Actually, I thought it'd be convenient to type in the START box, for no other reason than the fact that my eyes tend to glance into the Trim Bay (sic), much more often than the Clip Properites panel. Goodness knows my cuts seem to flash on me, during faced-paced edits, consisting of clip lengths having odd frame numbers appended to the "seconds" duration! Therefore, I find myself often glancing into the Trim Bay's LENGTH box, as part of my workflow, in case I need to trim a clip's length for an even number of frames.

I'm still in VT[4] version 4.6 BTW. I don't want to install the 5.0 upgrade on a single-processor Pentium 4 3.06 GHz box.

(Om' so sceeeer'd)

Q1

Q1

Quiet1onTheSet
08-11-2008, 09:23 PM
In fact I'm kind of confused as to why it's a separate box, since any time I've changed the off-set the start automatically matches it. Perhaps there's more to it that I'm not getting.I think there is more to it.

But I can't seem to figure out just what, exactly, that OFFSET indicator is really doing, since I'm not sure it's got a consistent behavioral characteristic.

(Try entering a location there. Watch the clip shift farther down in time.
Now, try entering a later time in the OFFSET box. Watch the clip, and note the START time.

Now drag the clip even farther down in time. Is there a different time location in the OFFSET and START boxes now?

I'll have to play with it some more, to see if I can figure out just what OFFSET is really supposed to do, and how it compares to the START indicator.

Well, Bill, you've rekindled my past sense of intrigue over that OFFSET issue.

Q1
:stumped:

billmi
08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Actually, I thought it'd be convenient to type in the START box, for no other reason than the fact that my eyes tend to glance into the Trim Bay

And here I am the opposite. I never even glance at the trim info in the main window, to the point that when you said trim bay, I was thinking clip properties window...

As for offset, I really don't know what it's supposed to do. I poked around with it, and every thing I put into it changed the start time to match. I'm sure there must be something more to it. Maybe I should crack open the manual.

Ty Whitaker
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Me too. I was thinking clip properties. Now I'll have to play around also. Opps, it'll have to be later, they want me to edit. Ah well.

Quiet1onTheSet
08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
As for offset, I really don't know what it's supposed to do. I poked around with it, and every thing I put into it changed the start time to match...

OK. It appears "OFFSET" in the CLIP PROPERTIES panel, is designed to give users the ability to define just how closely a clip follows the preceding clip, within a project.

If you had an OFFSET of 00.00.01.00 typed in, on the video tab -- then the result would be a 1 second gap between the selected video clip and the one preceding it. But do note that this particular OFFSET is referenced to the last, yet preceding video frame within the project's video output stream. That may well explain my earlier sense of not being able to predict what was to happen with an effected clip (I tested OFFSET within a highly-complex VT[4] version 4.6 edit project with plenty of compositing layers.

Under the AUDIO tab, there's a corresponding OFFSET window for making such adjustments to audio clips (of course, this can also be used for correcting A/V sync issues within a whacked audio/video clip).

Armed with this insight (an interpretation of what I gleaned from the VT[5] Manual) may well make this neglected gadget more likely to find some use in my future VT-Edit and SpeedEDIT workflow scenarios.

But it's certain that I'll have to play with it quite a bit to really appreciate and understand the value of it -- and what I just posted here.

Q1
8~

Ty Whitaker
08-13-2008, 08:02 PM
This is a little off topic but..

Speaking of audio offset, when you right click on a clip and it says "sync streams" so you can realign the audio and video if you accidentally move something, has that always been there? I remember that being a big complaint that you could lose sync easily. Im tool shedding that puppy to redo sync on the whole project if I have to.

Back on topic, I have used the offset a great deal but only to get my chyrons to uniformly start after a person to id appears on screen. Also for multiple graphic layers to appear one at a time. I'll have to study it more also.

billmi
08-14-2008, 06:50 AM
OK. It appears "OFFSET" in the CLIP PROPERTIES panel, is designed to give users the ability to define just how closely a clip follows the preceding clip, within a project.

Ah... That makes sense. And it makes sense that when I was poking around with it, with only one clip in the timeline, it would offset from 0:00.00 making the Start time the same.

Quiet1onTheSet
08-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Speaking of audio offset, when you right click on a clip and it says "sync streams" so you can realign the audio and video if you accidentally move something, has that always been there? I remember that being a big complaint that you could lose sync easily.

Can't say whether or not it's always been there, but I suspect what you may have heard in the way of discomfort for some, doesn't so much relate to the audio and video stream of an A/V clip losing sync at all.

Rather, that in a complex project, it might be much more likely that A/V clips might inadvertently get shifted with respect to other A/V clips, hence the usefulness of SubProject clip creation for those critically-aligned (what I'll term "affinity clips").

Q1
:hey:

Ty Whitaker
08-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Ah yes I see what you mean. I'm actually starting to use subprojects more often to nest prebuilds or group and lock "affinity clips" also.

"Affinity Clips" is a good term. I'm going to start using it and I'll credit you.

Quiet1onTheSet
08-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Ah yes I see what you mean. I'm actually starting to use subprojects more often to nest prebuilds or group and lock "affinity clips" also.

"Affinity Clips" is a good term. I'm going to start using it and I'll credit you.Aw, haw- haw, shucks, man.

Q1 (Looks down, abashedly grinning, while right foot kicks up a little dust to the side.)
:D