PDA

View Full Version : Rs-8 / Rma #3

OaheTV
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm having unbelievably bad luck with two RS-8's. Unbelievable in that this is RMA #3 for this unit, and I have a second unit that has been sent back twice already.

Any word on if/when "Live Control" will be available for the VT-5? I've never had a problem with my Tricaster.

TRCC
08-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm having unbelievably bad luck with two RS-8's. Unbelievable in that this is RMA #3 for this unit, and I have a second unit that has been sent back twice already.

Any word on if/when "Live Control" will be available for the VT-5? I've never had a problem with my Tricaster.

Could static be an issue? I know that we had gone through 3 different RS-8 until we realized that static was killing it. Its only powered by the USB 2.0 port on your computer, so a little shock can do alot of damage. At least thats what NewTek told us. We were sitting in rolling chairs on a carpeted floor, bound to create static.

Luke

OaheTV
08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Same senario here, Luke. What was your fix, if I can ask?

I'm sure static was a problem in at least one past RMA, but this time the RS-8 didn't even power up when I started the machine. I'm sure it could have got sparked somehow, but I can't figure out how to properly ground it.

Thanks for the reply! pmc

TRCC
08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Some of the things that helped us was not plugging the RS-8 into an active usb hub. I found that when we would do that we would have the problems. I have heard reccomendations to do so, but I have found that plugging the RS-8 directly into the computer creates a more stable connection. Ultimatly our final solution was to rip the carpet out of our video control room and replace with tile, but an easy slolution would be those carpet mats, they sell at like office depot they are ususally clear, and help chairs with rollers actually move around. Having an awareness of the static problems was our biggest help, once we were aware of the problem we knew to touch something metal first. The crazy thing is I never saw a spark or anything when I would touch metal, but it doesnt take much to kill the RS-8. I think USB is 500mA (im no electrician but thats not very much).

Thanks,
Luke

Quiet1onTheSet
08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Some of the things that helped us was not plugging the RS-8 into an active usb hub...
Hi, Luke. If you have access to the info, kindly let us know the make/model of the powered USB Hub you were using. TIA

Q1

TRCC
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Ahh I'm afraid my input is no good, despite all our efforts to change the static conditions in the room, it seems as if our RS-8 has died. We have done as much as I know we can do to eliminate static in the RS-8 short of everyone wearing static free jumpsuits, and jumpers on their wrists, which is a bit unrealistic you think? This is RS-8 #4 for me, getting a little old.

Luke

PIZAZZ
10-10-2008, 08:52 AM
How long ago was the last RS8 replaced?
What motherboard is in your VT system? (this is more important than you realize)

Depending on the motherboard in the system, I have seen that powered hubs definitely extend the life of the RS8. I also have a client that holds the record for replaced RS8s. He even has toasted them behind the hub. (the hub did make the time longer between replacements) His motherboard is a Gigabyte with Dual Opterons I believe. I would very much like to once and for all figure out why he is still toasting RS8s. None of our other customers are doing this. So please share your complete system specs as soon as you can.

TRCC
10-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Our motherboard is an IWILL workstation with dual Xeon 3.02.

Luke