PDA

View Full Version : stream recording for Windoze PCs

beverins
07-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Sorry - this is a duplicate post from another thread, but I figured some people might miss it where I placed it, ,so here it is in its own thread.

1) download WMR RECORDER Version 8. (WMR80.exe) install and configure. A bit tricky, but once you suss it out, it is automatic. For Macs, you will have to find some other way to record the streams. Sorry.

2) If you dont want to DL WMP 9, ,then at least get the WMP9Codecs for your mediaplayer. Might work for MACS too.

3) start up the Live Stream. Choppy? No matter.

4) Start up WMR Recorder. In the options, have it record to someplace with some room. The streams are pretty tiny; 50MB for what looks like 20 min of footage... Press Record. It should reflect that it has tapped into the stream being accessed by Media Player. Let it run.

I have a DSL with 368kbs... it recorded the stream almost flawlessly; your mileage may vary. The recorded output DID chop and stall a few times, and the beginning of the stream is glitched always.... but I would say it does a terrific job!! My connection through media player was stuttering like mad, but there was only a little evidence of that stutter and signal loss in the recorded file (but, it WAS still there, so its not perfect)

For Macs, if you have the cash, Virtual PC might end your headache... Or, find a ASX to QT convertor, and these streams can be converted to MOV format.

Hope this helps someone. Sorry if this was already common knowledge LOL

archiea
07-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Also sorry for the duplicate post, but...

How can I set up the stream to record if I'm not oing to be home. I leave home at 7:30 am, and the stream doesn't happen until 10. I have both a PC and a mac....

Also, I heard that the stream only works with WM v7. You mention WM 9, or is it that the recorder is v9? Coudl you clarify? thanks!!

beverins
07-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Well, this recorder only works if you can have the stream already running, by the looks of it.

I had it running with WMP 9, using the Play With External Player link, but I saw that the streams were very visible with either WMP 6.5 or WMP 7.1 as long as you had the WM9-for-WMP7.1 codec installed (I tried everything to get rid of the choppiness) I would say that if you have 7.1 or 6.5 get the codec, its easier.

I looked at my recordings that I did - this recorder manages to smooth out some of the glitches, but if your connection is really glitchy, the recording will be glitchy as well; however my recordings are noticeably less glitchy than what I was getting around 3pm with only streaming LOL

I don't know of a program that could specifically record this stream on a timer... I don't know any hidden features of Windows that might allow a delayed start of this utility...

One thing I can think of is to sign up for a free trial account at www.gotomypc.com (they give you an hour free) and access your home computer from work... start the stream in an external player, start the utility and then logoff of gotomypc.com and hope for the best. The Gotomypc.com installed service will suck some bandwidth even when its sitting idle with no connections to it, but it should allow a nice recording.... be sure to have plenty of space on the HD.

Don't know if my late-night rambling helps any

beverins
07-29-2003, 10:34 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=06FCAAB7-DCC9-466B-B0C4-04DB144BB601

thats the direct link to the file

Hervé
07-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Hello I am looking for the WMR RECORDER Version 8, but found it nowhere....

any links ?

js33
07-30-2003, 03:07 AM
Hi Herve,

Here is the link for the Windows Media Recorder.
I just tested it for a bit and it works well.
I will record some of the demos tomorrow.

http://www.netfor2.com/

Cheers,
JS

pauland
07-30-2003, 04:15 AM
I don't know anything about the software or who supplies it. Is it really safe to install? Does it come with hidden extras? what's the story behind this software?

I'm rather conservative about installing software in case I get some spyware or a virus. I'm not saying this is the case here, just asking for more info.

Paul

colkai
07-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only super-paranoid guy here ;)

Hervé
07-30-2003, 05:13 AM
Well I am not super paranoid..... unless two other guys at least are... (paranoid), then I become super ultra paranoid, thinking there must be a good reason for them to be paranoid... but thanks for the link...

Hervé

any other infos... it says something like 600,000 downloads, but who knows...?!

KOlson
07-30-2003, 07:10 AM
Use the Timer.. feed it a URL and it will start recording at a certain time for x amount of hours :)

CB_3D
07-30-2003, 11:35 AM
I CAN RECORD AND PLAY THE ASF´S, BUT NOT GO FAST FORWARD OR REWIND TO SEE SEGMENTS. iS THAT NORMAL WITH *.ASF??

CB_3D
07-30-2003, 11:36 AM
uups, Caps Lock :D

GruvSyco
07-30-2003, 11:53 AM
I just did a little test. I recorded a stream and then converted it to Quicktime. I'll try and get some stuff posted up later, probably towards the end of the day. It'd be cool if someone else can mirror the files once I upload them.

CB_3D
07-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Please do so, especially the cell shading session, i´d love to have that one without the cops!

Thx!

GruvSyco
07-30-2003, 12:09 PM
What are some decent compressed audio settings for Quicktime?

richpr
07-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Use the task scheduler on NT/2000/XP to start the programs at 10:10...