PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave materials library?

glebe digital
08-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Seems like every other 3d package has an online materials library these days, doesn't seem to have caught on in the LW community.........any reason?

I'm sure it'd be a pretty successful enterprise.....

Lightwolf
08-08-2008, 06:26 AM
http://www.presetcentral.com - if you can wait a bit ;)

Cheers,
Mike

glebe digital
08-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Ooh magic!
:)

Matt
08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Seems like every other 3d package has an online materials library these days, doesn't seem to have caught on in the LW community.........any reason?

Well, as Mike has pointed out Presetcentral will be back very soon!

Presetcentral was actually the _first_ proper resource for material presets back in its day, way before all the other packages had them.

Unfortunately it was hacked and the database lost. So the site disappeared for a number of years.

Now it's back!

glebe digital
08-08-2008, 05:32 PM
That scene's pretty 'heavy' render-wise.........going to be tough for dielectrics maybe.
More cores the merrier! :phone_cal

Dexter2999
08-08-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.lededesigns.com/component/option,com_nodes/Itemid,4/

Some good people put in some good work over here. Too bad it didn't seem to take off they way everyone thought it would.

Matt
08-08-2008, 08:57 PM
That scene's pretty 'heavy' render-wise.........going to be tough for dielectrics maybe.
More cores the merrier! :phone_cal

Oooooh nice! Make sure you save those and upload them! :)

You could try reducing the number of Rays Per Evaluation, and tweaking the AA settings, but it's just the material nodes are pretty slow, especially Dielectric. Area lights are also slow, not much we can do about them really. The luminous poly scene is waaaay faster!

Doctor49152
08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I am so starting to render out some of my presets for uploading. I missed presetcentral when they went down.

Is it verboten to render stuff in Fprime? I can't tell the difference LWs renderer and fprime if I turn the light bounces to 4 (with radiosity on obviously) with most of my surface presets.

glebe digital
08-09-2008, 03:12 AM
You could try reducing the number of Rays Per Evaluation, and tweaking the AA settings, but it's just the material nodes are pretty slow, especially Dielectric. Area lights are also slow, not much we can do about them really. The luminous poly scene is waaaay faster!

:thumbsup: Thanks Matt, yes I'll be uploading when it goes live......I'll try the luminous poly scene and see if it's any quicker..........I 'optimized' the default scene somewhat, rays & AA etc.......quicker for sure but compared to most simball scenes I've tried, it's like wading through custard.

All the same, pretty cool and I hope the repository takes off! :cool:

Matt
08-09-2008, 06:02 AM
I am so starting to render out some of my presets for uploading. I missed presetcentral when they went down.

Is it verboten to render stuff in Fprime? I can't tell the difference LWs renderer and fprime if I turn the light bounces to 4 (with radiosity on obviously) with most of my surface presets.

I think we'd rather you used LightWave, so that people get the same results if they haven't got FPrime. Also FPrime doesn't support some of the later nodes.

Matt
08-09-2008, 06:03 AM
I'll try the luminous poly scene and see if it's any quicker..........I 'optimized' the default scene somewhat, rays & AA etc.......quicker for sure but compared to most simball scenes I've tried, it's like wading through custard.

All the same, pretty cool and I hope the repository takes off! :cool:

Also, are you using 9.3.1 or 9.5OB? Because 9.5 is about twice as fast as 9.3.1 on all of these scenes.

It rocks!

:D

glebe digital
08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
9.3.1 here, wish I had time to play with the Beta.

Doctor49152
08-09-2008, 03:57 PM
ok, built in renderer makes sense and I thought that would be the reason.

I've done a few surface renders using the downloaded presets scenes. While they are good, they are missing main features of some of the surfaces I have made.

I do have a few suggestions if I may??

- Needs a stronger rear fill light to catch the angles.

- Needs an actual reflection map of something. of the few I've done just the lights doesn't 'capture' the feeling of the surfaces I have

- I'd recommend that somehow there is a square area of the object, because not all the surfaces (like brick) properly map to spheres. Maybe even a cube object scene for those kind?

if you take a look at this I think you'll see what I mean.
http://www.vray-materials.de/all_materials.php?mat=961

These are just suggestions. I like what you guys have done.

Matt
08-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, the preset standard scene will indeed be improved as we go on, it's not at all a final, perfect product!

benhaines
08-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Glebe_Digital, I love those presets. Look forward to seeing them on PresetCentral when we launch tomorrow ;)